How productive is your average outing for bass?

RaedwulfFisher

I've always wondered what a good day is to other anglers..

How many fish would an average day yield for you and whats considered a good and bad day?

I mostly fish the Marlatts ponds for a few hours on an outing and if I manage 3 fish in that time that's a good day for me.

Though when I mostly go out fishing I really don't expect anything as I have more days that I don't catch anything than a day that I do..

which made me wonder...

whats an average day for you?

Depends on the water body.  A good day for me is a good sized fish.  One spot I fished that is now closed a good day would have been double digits between carp smallies and pike ... usually in 2 hours .... but the size was small for all.

49 minutes ago, kgm said:

One or 2 fish is a good day providing they are a decent size for me. That being said I have many days with zero fish. Still love spending the time

Ditto kgm .....also depends on the species .......One nice carp makes my day , or  6 nice perch (meal)  , a few smallies/largies ,   2 - 2.5lb walleye , one 4-5lb pike or biggy to release , same with a bow.  I may be a little disappointed , but not discouraged if I crap out  , but it's always nice to get out for the scenery , wildlife and ogle the old girls .....:crazy:

Bass fishing Lake Erie this year has been very unusual challanging to say the least.....  I really dont know why they are not hitting.  I've got 20 years experience on the lake and I've taken the kids out twice to get them into some fun filled smallie action.  We've got 5 hrs down, and 1 smallie  brutal.  No idea??  

32 minutes ago, Batts said:

Bass fishing Lake Erie this year has been very unusual challanging to say the least.....  I really dont know why they are not hitting.  I've got 20 years experience on the lake and I've taken the kids out twice to get them into some fun filled smallie action.  We've got 5 hrs down, and 1 smallie  brutal.  No idea??  

This is my slowest year in a long while .  Spots where I got smallies is a waste of time this year ....even the carp fishing is much slower . Did the 2 extreme winters have an effect on some spots ?   Yet , I have been hearing some good reports , even at our trailer park in Deseronto , the walleye fishing is good .   Fish are more "fin'icky than da wimmins !! 

My son and I have spent many days getting skunked .

So really one nice fish makes a good day. We did manage 4 smallies and one pike on Friday and 7 smallies this morning. That is above average for us.

The grand has produced at least 20-30 fish a day for me the last two outtings, but no real big guys....biggest about 3 lbs. Average 1-2 lbs. Been finding more fish in unusual spots, like the heads of faster water. Im drifting, and fishing sections of the river that sees less people and the water has been running low and fairly clear. A few typical spots that normally always produce have been spotty with no bigger ones.

1 hour ago, DaveC said:

The grand has produced at least 20-30 fish a day for me the last two outtings, but no real big guys....biggest about 3 lbs. Average 1-2 lbs. Been finding more fish in unusual spots, like the heads of faster water. Im drifting, and fishing sections of the river that sees less people and the water has been running low and fairly clear. A few typical spots that normally always produce have been spotty with no bigger ones.

I agree with the grand n 20-30 fish.  I always fish Brantford area. Top water baits when the sun is going down n bugs r out, can't go wrong.  Grab a canoe/kayak n drift Paris-Brantford, great fishing 

I've been wanting to try floating the Grand for bass and pike. Does it get alot of canoe/kayak traffic? If anybody that is familiar with the Grand is willing to PM some info I'd be greatfull! I'd like to find a quiet section to kayak and catch some smallies.

The last few years have declined for me 2 years back I could pull a bass out just about every cast which made for lots of double dugit outings. Last year I was lucky to get into 6 and now this year I haven't  gotten into any

20-30 fish in a day on grand?..holy f**k....I'd be in heaven if I could pull that many in an outing..that's what I'd get in a month if I'm lucky..

please tell me it's from shore...I don't own a boat and I'm pretty empty pockets...

Been on Erie twice for bass, kept 4 one day and 5 the other with two guys fishing, but they were pretty long days of fishing to get there. The bite was few and far between. Hopefully things heat up soon

The grand is full of bass. All of Brantford is shore access pretty much.  Not sure if I'd be travelling from niagara for it. Maybe b/c I live here tho.  There's great fishing around you.  Have u ever tried fishing the rock piers out on Lake Ontario? Im sure there's smallies off of them.   If u wanna make the trip pm me.   Go to ur bass spots in the evening when then Suns going down n throw some poppers. You'll hook up. 

On Lake Erie or the Niagara River, fishing out of a boat, 20-30 fish is a good day; I’ve had lots of days with less and the odd one with more.  But, it's always a good day when you are on the water! I say it, and I try to live it; when you finally break through that barrier it's almost like achieving angler enlightenment... I get called out on this point at fish camps all the time, but it’s true. Heck, it’s the only thing that keeps me sane when I’m fishing for permit.

IMG_2738.JPG

On July 16, 2016 at 9:58 PM, Batts said:

Been morgans point a couple times and the niagara glen a couple too...bass just arent hittin it like past years.I believe its coming just late...i got the itch now! If i could get off the couch id go! 

The last few times fishing the grand it has been 20+ fish, and my son fish the river for the first time today and he got 10 to my 1.  I haven't fished for bass in the last few years spending most of my time fishing trout but tried a day after opener and found a great spot.

fishing my usual favorite "spot" this year has been great 5-10 fish days of decent fish from 2-5lb largies but another one of my local spots for smallies has been slow as molasses. but when i'm out i usually at least minimum 2 bass. some spots just have to work at em a little harder slow things down

20 hours ago, yakfish said:

I've been wanting to try floating the Grand for bass and pike. Does it get alot of canoe/kayak traffic? If anybody that is familiar with the Grand is willing to PM some info I'd be greatfull! I'd like to find a quiet section to kayak and catch some smallies.

Paris to Brant park is ideal for either canoe or kayak. Lots of places to fish along the way. Yes, come noon time the tubes and canoes with grand river rafting start showing up. I like to be on the water by 7:30am. The trip depending on how much stopping you do is 6-8 hours, so bring a lunch and some cold drinks. You may have to get out and push the odd time in places as well. Poppers, and gurglers work great for top water action. Rabbit strip steamers in white, purple, and olive also produce. Like I mentioned, been finding more fish in the heads of faster water with these low water conditions. We really could use some good steady rain.

Archived