PFD's Mandatory ?

smerchly

On 2016-08-16 at 9:30 AM, bottomwatcher said:

My 2 cents is that it is very risky for one person  to boat on large bodies of water such as Lake Ontario & Lake Erie , take for example the last drowning on Lake Erie, if there where was  another person aboard the boat, the death of the guy could have been avoided, as it looks like he fell overboard & had no help getting him get back onboard. I have also witnessed a situation where a older guy was fishing alone &  had a heart attack & end up dying on the floor of his boat .

Ya the last guy that died, had a scare a few weeks prior. Almost fell in. Bought a life-jacket, (newer style from what i was told, nobody likes the old style) just never put it on.

I think adopting the NY law that a lifejacket/automatic pfd must be worn at all times between Nov 1 and May 1 is great and I'm not sure why it's not already in place.  During these months the waters are usually very cold and you are not just risking your life but the people's lives who might be trying to save you.  A lot of people who say things like "it's my life and I can choose what I will and will not do" are selfish and clearly not thinking about possible family they might have and the rescuers lives.    

Archived