Question for the older guys (like me)

Flycarp

I have developed an elbow injury this year and am trying to get recovered but the fly fishing is really aggravating it.  Do any of you have experience like this and suggestions on how to get better?

thanks in advance 

No experience with an elbow injury, but wondering, is it the motion of the fly cast? Can you do the motion without a rod in hand? If so, maybe a 7-8ft rod built lightly would be better. just an idea

It started as a tennis elbow inflammation in the early season - a windy day that I caught some nice fish.  Now there is pain just picking up a kettle to pour water.

my mechanics are less than perfect for fly casting and that can't help

I have a couple recommendations for things that might help.

First, assess how balanced your outfit is. A poorly balanced outfit will put more stress on your casting stroke as you compensate the forces created by the unbalance with your muscles and tendons. 

Second, talk to a casting instructor who has experience helping people with similar injuries. They may even experience the issue themselves due to the amount of casting they due. I know when I took lessons I talked with my instructor about it (I had been dealing with some knuckle pain at the time, thankfully gone now), he recommended adjusting my grip, I'm sure some adjustments could be made for elbow pain.

Third, maybe look into two-handed casting. The motions are different and you can achieve distance without having to muscle the rod.

Hey Flycarp i know the pain i have tennis elbow half the time i can't hardly pick up a coffee cup but what i use is band that rap's around your arm just below the elbow it takes some getting used to but it does help i'm supposed to go for physiotherapy but haven't yet i also use MYOFLEX it's a pain relief rub but you have to put it on every day and it helps

as a taxidermist i had a hard time doing it but with this stuff i can keep going and most of all i can have my coffee lol but like i said it takes time to get used to the band it took me a long time but i had to do it 

I had tennis elbow a few years ago .....used a wrap around band with a disc inside to put pressure on the top arm muscle . It helped heal it . Taking an Ibuprofen  can also ease the pain and there's an ointment called Voltaren  (expensive) that contains Ibuprofen which also eases inflammation/pain almost immediately . Could it be you are casting too fast ( for your age )   ;)

I feel (felt) yer pain Flycarp. I suffered for many years with elbow/forearm  pain and went thru all the motions with pills, supports and physio. Hockey, baseball and golf along with pulling big wrenches for a living did not help.  I finally had both elbows operated on and have had very little problems since. That was back around 2001. I would recommend an x-ray or two and a talk with a surgeon. Best of luck to you my friend.............................Daniel

I was going to answer the original question....then I saw it was for "old guy" so I decided its not for me....lol

Ive never got sore from casting. I can cast all day. I would say like mentioned is mechanics or equipment problems. When done right, I find fly fishing so very easy and relaxing and most of the work is done by the rod and line loading.  I can give you the name of a few guys that are very reasonable price and could dial you in and correct what might be causing you the discomfort. PM if your interested.

I've been fishing with a shoulder injury and what I believe is a torn bicep since the beginning of the season.It all started with swinging a 10 wt. salt water stick in April.I've also had the tendinitis in the elbow that you speak of several times.It doesn't take long to get a tendon injury, especially early in the season but it takes a heck of a long time to get rid of..The last time I got the elbow injury was trying to single hand a 13 ft. spey rod...Some say to rest it completely which is probably 3 months or I just try to fish through it.Fighting Carp and casting with an 8 wt. is really stressful for this injury.........I've noticed when I'm hurting even a 6 wt. is much more of a relief.....

I forgot to mention an exercise that was beneficial for this kind of tendinitis.Collapse your hand so that all 5 finger tips touch.Wrap an elastic band around your fingers,so that the elastic band is closer to your finger tips...Now open and close your fingers with the rubber band surrounding them.You will feel the stretch through the forearm and in to the elbow area.I have a buddy who swears by this exercise and I did use it in my tendinitis recovery..When you start doing this it will actually feel like you are worsening the condition but after a while it begins to relieve the pain....YMMV....

Thanks some good stuff here 

Dave C I would take the contact information of your recommended guys for some pointers - will wail till this settles down but always good to get some expert guidance

Archived