rabbit

theoutdoorguy

Absolutely.  Just pattern it with a few different shot sizes and choke tubes (if you have interchangeable tubes). Don't wanna destroy the rabbit but want to make sure you get a good amount of pellets on target 

The choke I think would depend on where your hunting and how close they would be flushing in front of you. Open field you may want a tighter choke, or on thick brush. Maybe in the woods would be improved cylinder. It all depends on preference as well I think. Hope it goes well for you!  Used to love rabbit hunting when I was a kid. Maybe I should give it another go this season

In my young days we hunted both bunnies & jacks . ...open choke for the cottontails , & let them run a bit before hitting them if possible ( #5 pellets are a little hard on the teeth) . For jacks , we used #2 shot  (Imperials) , full choke since most of them were taken in plowed fields ....lots of meat on those jack & jills & they made the best stew ! 

7 hours ago, theoutdoorguy said:

I m going out with my buddy in a few weeks and we will be in bush I think its me and his first time  

That's awesome, enjoy. Remember that if you flush one and miss, if one of you follows it and the other guy stays put, rabbits will always run in circles. It may be a big circle but it will go right back over its tracks again. Just gotta watch the guy waiting doesn't shoot the guy chasing. Let us know how it turns out. 

rabbit hunting was my favour sport in the winter . always hunted with a beagle . nothing better then standing in the bush in early morning and listen to the hound baying on a hot track . back in them days we lived on rabbit .

1 hour ago, teedee said:

rabbit hunting was my favour sport in the winter . always hunted with a beagle . nothing better then standing in the bush in early morning and listen to the hound baying on a hot track . back in them days we lived on rabbit .

One bunny = one rabbit pie . ,,,,and it really did taste like chicken !   No one knew the diff !  ;)

3 hours ago, teedee said:

Have  to agree teedee love the sound of the hound just stand in one spot let the dog do the work and if you miss the shot just stay still and the dog will run it back again if it don't make it down a hole .It's been years since iv'e been out after them wascally wabbits .As smerch said it's not a nice thing biting down on a pellet or two and have done it many times so what i did was changed over to a 22 cal with a scope one hole no pellets i would go out after a fresh snow on a cold calm day down the R.R.tracks and get one or two but on the way back just before shooting time is up you can see them just sitting there in the brush along the tracks .But as time wen't by i found myself walking farther and farther to find a rabbit even my buddies dog had a hard time finding them so i just packed it in:dunno: they are probably in smerchlys back yard eating his fruit along with the squirrels lol 

Yep , the fat rabbits & squirrels are keeping the dog on the run Gunner  .....good exercise for  her !  There will be less to munch on when I take the huge apple tree down this winter .  We had some delicious rabbit stew a month ago , compliments of my neighbour who loves to cook . He got the rabbit from a guy who raises them for food .

Gunner .....maybe the yotes have been killing off the rabbits . 

2 hours ago, smerchly said:

Yep , the fat rabbits & squirrels are keeping the dog on the run Gunner  .....good exercise for  her !  There will be less to munch on when I take the huge apple tree down this winter .  We had some delicious rabbit stew a month ago , compliments of my neighbour who loves to cook . He got the rabbit from a guy who raises them for food .

Gunner .....maybe the yotes have been killing off the rabbits . 

Yes for sure the poor things have many things to watch out for Man/yotes/hawks/owls/mink/cats/and the list goes on

Archived