Keeping the Breeders

Jig Head

I've been out fishing a lot this year, and i've noticed in the past few months that a lot of people are keeping fish, which is ok. But recently I noticed that MANY guys are keeping fish like perch, pike, and some bass that are full of eggs! Im scared that the small waters that I fish regularly will have a major decrease in population since every time I go out, I see buckets and buckets of female fish that are ready to spawn, dead in the buckets. Half the fish they keep are not super healthy anyways as the water isnt the greatest, but what I don't understand is why can't you keep the other average fish while you let the reproduces with eggs go so they can increase the population. Maybe it is just me, but I don't want the future ponds to lack life.:unsure:

13 hours ago, Jig Head said:

I've been out fishing a lot this year, and i've noticed in the past few months that a lot of people are keeping fish, which is ok. But recently I noticed that MANY guys are keeping fish like perch, pike, and some bass that are full of eggs! Im scared that the small waters that I fish regularly will have a major decrease in population since every time I go out, I see buckets and buckets of female fish that are ready to spawn, dead in the buckets. Half the fish they keep are not super healthy anyways as the water isnt the greatest, but what I don't understand is why can't you keep the other average fish while you let the reproduces with eggs go so they can increase the population. Maybe it is just me, but I don't want the future ponds to lack life.:unsure:

Keep in mind the regulations if you notice someone keeping fish over slot or out of season contact the authorities and they should be able to do something about it. It's not just small water bodies which are effected by it, it's also the larger water bodies like the Kawartha's. People taking the larger fish take away those specific genetics that allow for a trophy fishery. I understand that everyone wants to have a nice fish fry every now and then but some people need to understand selective harvest and what impacts keeping those big spanners can cause. 

Truly it doesn't make any difference if you keep a fish 11 days away from spawning or 11 months away from spawning, they are not going to spawn again , it's just seems worse if they are a lot pregnant instead of just a little bit pregnant. :tease:

If you take all the males ,  the females will be much thinner ......;)

I usually have some of each in the frying pan  .....something akin to what the netters sell ........

@dave524 oh I didnt think about it that way, good point. Doesnt matter when they'll spawn, if you keep them whenever they wont spawn regardless. What do I do when I see the guys keeping out of season spawners tho :/ I feel like so many people do it that the ministry wont bother

Most of the fish I have stuffed for anglers were very preggo .....mostly perch or eyes .   It seems ,the more preggo they are the more likely they will be hanging on an anglers man cave . :bb2:

Personally I like the lean and mean look on wall hangers . And I have recently released a fatty 12" perch a few weeks ago ......no bros or sis's to keep her company .......:)

I know people who fried up perch eggs with the fillets ( doesn't appeal to me) .....( poor mans caviar ? )

Jig Head .....good on ya for being more considerate than the average angler . It seems you also have more respect for the environment than many other "anglers"  .  :)

• 3 weeks later...
On ‎2017‎-‎02‎-‎09 at 8:49 PM, Jig Head said:

@dave524 oh I didnt think about it that way, good point. Doesnt matter when they'll spawn, if you keep them whenever they wont spawn regardless. What do I do when I see the guys keeping out of season spawners tho :/ I feel like so many people do it that the ministry wont bother

If you see people keeping out of season fish or in general breaking any of the regs. call the MNR, you could even sneak in a photo to pass off to them.

You can approach and try to educate them first if you wish, judge the situation. Make sure it is safe for you. A lot of people fishing just don't know, but there is a segment that also just doesn't care and usually tell you were to go not very politely.

25 minutes ago, RHK said:

You can approach and try to educate them first if you wish, judge the situation. Make sure it is safe for you. A lot of people fishing just don't know, but there is a segment that also just doesn't care and usually tell you were to go not very politely.

These would be the segment of so called anglers who leave their garbage everywhere . ....not worth the trouble to say anything to these dummies , their brains are fried from whatever .......:slap: 

.....and this is the most common .....a blight on our society ....running neck & neck with plastic bottles......

A6eh_Va5-mjX1AJTRfBjrHznv8-c8-sVkOTWL3Go

....this is the main reason I quit posting backgrounds or mention where I catch fish .......

I keep this number in my tackle bag. I just realized I should just put it into my contacts on my phone so It's ready when needed.

The Ministry of Natural Resources and Forestry TIPS line
1-877-847-7667

2 hours ago, Fish Farmer said:

Smerch, that picture looks like it was taken on the corner of Barton and Victoria st. only the buts are deeper.

Smoking Pigs

Those butts are parking lot butts ,  not all angler butts . The butts on the ice & most shore fishing spots are all angler butts . I'll pick up packaging , bottles, and specifically , fishing line that was left by those who have no concern for wild life , but I will not pick up the butts or cig packages .

....back to the breeders.......After releasing over a dozen big hens last week , I met a guy coming in to fish as I was leaving ......he told me he caught 8 big perch the day before & said they were good to eat  .........   Some do , some don't ......:huh:.....

.....I didn't see anything in the regs regarding  "breeders" ....or anything about "ethics" etc. (not that it would make any diff.)....   like cig. pkg.warnings ....:)

Ethics are too gray an area to put into the regulations until they indicate a season or a limit that can be enforced.

Ethics are different region to region, zone to zone, city to city, and such.  I have seen gobies tossed back since "it is not ethical to kill them, they are a creature on this earth".

Yes Snags , I suppose the "ethical" part of fishing could get very complicated considering we have such a diverse population where some beliefs are  different ......e.g....releasing certain fish to bring good fortune or ward off evil spirits . We are still in the stone ages with many beliefs we have today . Tossing back one or two gobies  isn't going to do any damage to the billions we have in our lakes .......but it helps keep the gulls happy ,   or contribute to a happy meal ....   :Gonefishing:

Hi Smerch I disagree. Certainly one or two gobies isn't going to change anything but if everyone threw back a couple of gobies that would amount to a lot of gobies and it would make a difference. No matter they are here to stay. Follow the regulations and  be safe.

5 hours ago, captnn said:

Hi Smerch I disagree. Certainly one or two gobies isn't going to change anything but if everyone threw back a couple of gobies that would amount to a lot of gobies and it would make a difference. No matter they are here to stay. Follow the regulations and  be safe.

Aye Captnn .....I always toss them to the gulls . But there are some who think it's cruel to kill fish and not eat them . Same thing with the rudd or grass carp ....Some anglers agree that mother nature will take care of the invasives eventually . We are now catching 8 lb.piggy smallies in Erie that have been dining on gobies . And some of these big sow perch have gobies in their gut . My first choice of killing off an invasive species is that blood sucking  lamprey eel .

On ‎2‎/‎25‎/‎2017 at 9:46 AM, smerchly said:

These would be the segment of so called anglers who leave their garbage everywhere . ....not worth the trouble to say anything to these dummies , their brains are fried from whatever .......:slap: 

.....and this is the most common .....a blight on our society ....running neck & neck with plastic bottles......

A6eh_Va5-mjX1AJTRfBjrHznv8-c8-sVkOTWL3Go

....this is the main reason I quit posting backgrounds or mention where I catch fish .......

Being a smoker myself, Ive got in the habit of flicking off the burning end of my butt and balling it up in my pocket. Only to pull out a crap load of spent butts out of my fishing jacket regularly. This past fall while walking across the river, talking to myself geez I feel wet on my one leg...turns out after I get out of the water for further inspection I found my leak !!! The butt ends I was flicking off my smokes all the time one of the ends must have landed in a crease in my waders and burned a nice 1/4 inch hole right through my $600 waders...I was pissed at myself !!!! Nasty habit, but one I have tried several times to quit without success...

Ouch !  And $600 for a pr.of waders ? Wow ...My last ones were on sale for $99.99  ! 

Now ....if you buy non reserve cigs at $10 per pack & 1 pack per day.......about $3600 per year  or 6 pr. of brand new top of the line waders .......

About that  1/4" hole .....dab some shoogoo around a butt & squeeze it into the hole ........:D

On 2017-02-28 at 5:17 PM, captnn said:

As long as you are killing them before throwing them back the sea gulls get rid of them pretty fast. They used to electrify the spawning streams of the lampreys. Time to start that again.

I remember when the mnr would go by our rented cottage near Hartley Bay ,and go up the Wanipitai River to dump (pump) some kind of poison into the upper river to kill the lamprey eels . We would not catch bait fish after that & it probably killed off other fish & wildlife (frogs, etc.)

I was reading another fishing board ( not much going on there either ) :rolleyes: ...and I see a guy caught a whitefish with a belly full of good size gobies . This plentiful supply of food in our Great Lakes and  Lake Simcoe surely must make it a chore for anglers to entice fish to bite our offerings ? :dunno:  Could these gobie eating fish ( bass ,perch , pike , trout , whitefish , etc) have more toxins from eating gobies ?  Looks like the gobie is here to stay , unless another import shows up (alligator gar) and cleans up those p.i.t.a. gobies.....:angry2:  .........end of rant .....

Archived