Rec canal

NiagaraRiverFisher

It will be interesting to see how they plan on allowing motor boats and canoe/kayaks to co-exist unless they use separate areas of the rec. They complained about erosion from the outboard boats , and speed from the faster boats , maybe they will have some type of compromise and allow smaller "tinnies" with less than 10 horses.....I'll be surprised if they allow outboards in there , I think it will be shouted down .

16 minutes ago, Chrisb said:

Erosion was just an excuse. The whole northern end is lined with concrete slabs to prevent erosion.

If they do not have rowing races in that section ( no marker lanes, etc) ,I see no prob.with boats there ....with a speed limit ....:)

The problem is since they kicked out all the boats including the ski club and now the whole canal is used by rowers. The local high school(Notre Dame) uses the north end. They built the flat water center where the ski club used to be. It's a political ploy. I don't see them allowing it back.

I say from the launch at Lincoln street and heading north should not interfere with the rowing or flat water center.  Please show your support at the meetings that is all we can do.  Thanks to Tony DiMarco (Ward 4) this is being resurrecting again. It such a shame letting this go to waste!

People are too stupid for motor boats in the canal. Brutal honesty is key. Most people who fish around welland can't even bother finding garbage cans. not to mention the portion of people who think its ok to burn thier garbage along the river instead of cleaning up after themselves. The latter being a practice i have personally seen preformed by 3 generations.

Please show your support for welland rejoining the darwin awards.  

Infact lets start a pool, 

first death.

Alcohol related?

Jet ski collision?

Kid jumping from bridge smashed by boat or jetski? 

Although really the last death was drunks in a canoe right? During the time when motors were allowed though?

1 hour ago, deetch said:

I say from the launch at Lincoln street and heading north should not interfere with the rowing or flat water center.  Please show your support at the meetings that is all we can do.  Thanks to Tony DiMarco (Ward 4) this is being resurrecting again. It such a shame letting this go to waste!

X2

I would have to agree emenius i don't have any experience in the canal like most of you but sure have experience with jet skies they have no care for anyone at least

the ones i have seen in the welland river but at the same time i have seen boats fly by people in there canoes but like smerch said tinners with small outboards mite help 

but then how do you let one in and not another have to see what they come up with

We used to fish the canal in our boat. Spent 90% of our time on the electric. When using the large motor we kept to a small wake.

That was not true for far too many on the water. Big power boats, wake boarders, jet skis had little regard for the rules, or for the other users of the waterway. It still happens on the Chippewa portion of the Welland river.

First death has already happened. A jet skier was killed around 1991. It was one the reasons they used to shut it down the first time.

I hope they allow boats again but I have my doubts.

It's not exactly a large body of water ,  only so much room for so many types of water craft .Mixing high speed -low speed water vehicles invites trouble . It's a shame to have this deep clear water canal  and not have more multi usage  . Could it support stocking walleye , or rainbow trout , crappie , bass ? I know there are plenty of perch & pike , gills .....&  ?....

And , yes the garbage brigade can ruin it for everyone .....maybe a few volunteer trash picker-uppers could help with that one . The big drawback is the boat/wake/speed problem . One fatality , and back to the yak/canoes ......I'm sure this is all being discussed , and hopefully , they will come up with a palatable plan .  :read: .....:Gonefishing:

I remember when it was open and fishing boats had now problem in the morning ,Then around 11 the jet skies come down back there trailers at egde of the ramp,tie up the jet ski to the dock ,stand and party on dock.They would leave one side of ramp open for all boats to get in and out.There was even an ass????? camping right by the ramps like he owned it. IF THE CITY STOPS THE JET SKIS ON THE CANALeveryone else can get along .Hire a guard to patrol and watch the ramp ,have a now wake zone  out in front of docks ,unload trailer move it ,load trailer move it .Have a season pass that will pay for patrol and care of docks.

Just a thought, how about banning jet skis for a year and see how that goes. In my opinion the jet skis are the danger buzzing full speed ( showing off) for there buddies on the ramp.  The jet skis are the problem not the motorized boats!

Should be simple enough to impose a standard 10k speed limit for all vehicles (except kayaks)  :)

Photo radar ( long range ) could be installed on the bridges .....launching fees & passes at the ramp(s) to help pay the attendant , cams at the ramps to help catch the garbage people (take that both ways).....

The city will look at this canal as $$$ revenue$$$ & more usage of the canal waterway could enhance the city coffers . (Timmies) 

2 hours ago, smerchly said:

Should be simple enough to impose a standard 10k speed limit for all vehicles (except kayaks)  :)

Photo radar ( long range ) could be installed on the bridges .....launching fees & passes at the ramp(s) to help pay the attendant , cams at the ramps to help catch the garbage people (take that both ways).....

The city will look at this canal as $$$ revenue$$$ & more usage of the canal waterway could enhance the city coffers . (Timmies) 

They did have seasonal passes for the ramp before they banned boating. I had one.

I know about the deaths, its a dark part of wellands history. The moral of the story is jackasses ruin everything. I remember testing the boats in the canal to make sure it sounded right before taking it on the lake. Then i remember almost being swamped in my 12 ftr. 

Personally I just wanna build a sail barge. Rose city pirate, trolling under wind power. Just need some measurements for the lowest bridges. 

As a kayak fisherman, I hope they leave it as is. Power boaters have no shortage of places in the area to boat. There are only a few places where kayakers can fish in peace. Keep the motor ban in place!

• 2 weeks later...

Electrics only or HP limits.  I don't think you will have to worry about anglers in the rec, it's those pesky pleasure boaters.

(I'm only joking about the pleasure boaters, please don't hijack the thread about PB'ers)

On ‎3‎/‎7‎/‎2017 at 5:54 PM, yakfish said:

As a kayak fisherman, I hope they leave it as is. Power boaters have no shortage of places in the area to boat. There are only a few places where kayakers can fish in peace. Keep the motor ban in place!

I'm a boater, but I agree with Yakfish - leave it alone!

If you want to fish it, do what I just did, and buy a fishing kayak to fish it.

I'll just keep using my boat on Lake Erie - its not as if the rec canal is the ONLY fishable water in Niagara, but it is the most protected water for canoe/kayak fishers.

Archived