Electrical problem!

tombo

I need to take my boat in because of an electrical issue. Am thinking of Nichols, any opinions of service there?? Or anywhere else for that matter. Just pm me if you don't want to publicly bash anyone! Thanx in advance!

1 hour ago, pudge said:

Try C&J...my buddy uses them...he swears by them...it's behind the beacon

I deal with them ...Claude & John have been there many years , they know their stuff  .

47 minutes ago, bigugli said:

Nichols has been very good to us over the years.

Bought my new boat trailer from them ....did an excellent job , transferring my boat from the old trailer & balancing it properly to the new one ....no problem having a friend come to pick up my old trailer for his boat .  It may depend on where you live and best to call ahead as the shops will be getting very busy soon !   :Gonefishing:

On 3/23/2017 at 1:55 PM, tombo said:

I need to take my boat in because of an electrical issue. Am thinking of Nichols, any opinions of service there?? Or anywhere else for that matter. Just pm me if you don't want to publicly bash anyone! Thanx in advance!

What is the problem?

1 hour ago, tombo said:

Anybody want a good deal on a 02 50hp merc?? Lol

I had a 1989  40 hp Merc. 2 stroke , oil injection , 4 cylinders . It would not idle after warm up & 3 trips to different shops... couldn't fix it ....sold it for $700 to a guy who said he would rebuild it .  I spotted a 2005 ,  50 hp. Merc ,4 stroke on a boat/motor/trailer for sale at C & J marina on a small 15.5' boat (like mine) . I asked if the seller would sell the motor & a week later I had the new motor installed .  WHAT A DIFFERENCE !!...  no smoke  ....starts like a car !     I can troll with it ( kicker plate down)  :)

tombo .....Kijiji it !   B)

2 minutes ago, WalleyeChaser said:

I'm not a Ford guy and when I think of merc I think ford..... only Yamaha on my boat. 

Don't worry ....now you can by a spiffy brand new 40 H.P Merc ...made in China . 

I'd be looking at Tohatsu ( Nissan) , Honda , Yammies  ....maybe even E-Tech ( but we know North

American made is junk .....that's what a guy from a mid-east country told me) .......:)

32 minutes ago, WalleyeChaser said:

It was either the evinrude or the Yamaha for me. Love the Yamaha. Very few things r built to last anymore

I hear ya on the Yamaha, had a 20hp 4stroke on a 14fter and loved it. I have always wanted to have a e-tec, but the bottom line is I just don't want to risk $10,000 on one! 

These days, "made in China" is not like it used to be! Many global Fortune 500 companies now have plants in China. Wether or not they produce a good product is simply a matter of their quality control programs. 

To get the features I want, Ive decided on another merc. Going with a 60hp CT. I have a back heavy hull and with this setup it will be a different animal completely!! There's actually 3 brands I considered, but price and not wanting to wait 4-5 weeks to get my boat back pointed me towards the  Merc. My dads got a 2002 merc on his boat that he bought new. He has been retired for seven yrs and fishes with it nearly every day may24 till mid oct. It has ALOT of hrs on it, he does nothing but troll. He probably puts 300-400hrs a yr on it. Never had a single problem! Hope I have his luck!!

4 minutes ago, NiagaraRiverFisher said:

I re-powered in the fall ,had to move on from the old "two smoke" ,pulled the trigger on a new Suzuki :)  price was good and 6 year warranty , C.A.S marine power just outside of  Cambridge.

I hear they supposed to be good motors. Quite a treat coming from an old 2stroke! 

Archived