TICKS!

A girl I worked with before...her mother was diagnosed.....couldn't get treatment here...had to go to Florida out of pocket for a couple treatments....couldn't continue to go...and thus still suffer symptoms...I can  understand that perhaps our healthcare system is or was not set up to handle an illness that never used to be an issue when it never used to exist in our region...but year after recent year the problem is growing....our healthcare system should be doing something to take care of it....the ticks aren't going away...its not like these people are seeking the antivenom for a cobra bite....or scorpion sting ect for something that is not present in our part of the world....lyme disease caused by tick bites is a growing problem in Ontario for years now....the average person cannot get the treatment because they cant afford it

Right on Jack , ticks are getting bad in our area and it's time our politicians recognize that . If one of them or their families get Lyme's  they would act on it . I just had an ultra sound today as a follow up once a year on my thyroid . There was a second person there with a technician from G.E . guiding her with the newest technology on the scanner ....nice to see yes ,  so hopefully they can bring in high tech methods as in California to take care of our unfortunate victims of Lyme Disease .

• 1 month later...
On 11/14/2019 at 4:14 PM, Jwl1 said:

A girl I worked with before...her mother was diagnosed.....couldn't get treatment here...had to go to Florida out of pocket for a couple treatments....couldn't continue to go...and thus still suffer symptoms...I can  understand that perhaps our healthcare system is or was not set up to handle an illness that never used to be an issue when it never used to exist in our region...but year after recent year the problem is growing....our healthcare system should be doing something to take care of it....the ticks aren't going away...its not like these people are seeking the antivenom for a cobra bite....or scorpion sting ect for something that is not present in our part of the world....lyme disease caused by tick bites is a growing problem in Ontario for years now....the average person cannot get the treatment because they cant afford it

Just reading today Jan 9 /20  that Justin Beiber has lymes .....also , Avril Lavingne & Shania Twain have fought the disease . I tried to find info on where they may have been bitten by a tick , but no can find that info . This mild(er) winter may cause more of them to welcome us at our local fishing holes and move further north .

.....on the radio this morning I listened to Jim Wilson (Canadian Lyme Disease Association ) ...very interesting comments !  He said 92% of Canadians are misdiagnosed when they actually have lymes since most didn't know they were bitten . He also stated many of the lymes carrying ticks come here by migratory birds .

As hunters , anglers , and outdoors people it's up to each of us to be vigilant and check ourselves , our kids and animals for ticks .  And we need to improve our medical system !

• 3 weeks later...
On 11/13/2019 at 9:10 PM, Tyler0420 said:

80 pills a day is insane. i don't get how our health care system couldn't detect it. she should be able to sue them.....

Canadian test only checks for one vector for Lyme - US checks TWO different vectors, so more likely to detect it!

Sad to say our gov’t has their head far up an anal orifice on this one, especially since Lyme is becoming so prevalent.  And Lyme is only 1 of 4 possible diseases the black legged tick can infect people with!!

1 hour ago, genec said:

our gov’t has their head far up an anal orifice on this one,

Ford gov't is all about cutbacks ....The tests & care costs associated with Lymes  would  be too much to bear for them .....unless it was one of their offspring . At least have out of country care covered by our inept medical  coverage . 

Sadly, for the past 15 years the ministry of health has repeatedly denied the growing problem of Lyme disease. Long before Ford was even a factor in politics. Even to the point of contradicting other provincial agencies

From some of the reading I have done, there are questions around the accuracy of much of the lyme testing, so until there is a proper test with a high level of accuracy, it is pointless.

9 hours ago, Snags said:

From some of the reading I have done, there are questions around the accuracy of much of the lyme testing, so until there is a proper test with a high level of accuracy, it is pointless.

Best we can do is "avoidance" . I haven't fished my fav. spots at the 12 Mile for 2 years because the ticks are so bad  . ....and people still let their dogs run free in the tall grass there . Most other spots I fish may have a few ticks so wearing long pants & long sleeve shirts plus spray helps deter them .

9 hours ago, Snags said:

there are questions around the accuracy of much of the lyme testing,

For sure Snags ......  with the high tech medical equipment we have today , one would think there would be a vaccine to kill a tick's venom or treating it with antibiotics , etc . The problem is most don't know they were bitten until it's well into our system.....

8 hours ago, smerchly said:

Best we can do is "avoidance" . I haven't fished my fav. spots at the 12 Mile for 2 years because the ticks are so bad  . ....and people still let their dogs run free in the tall grass there . Most other spots I fish may have a few ticks so wearing long pants & long sleeve shirts plus spray helps deter them .

For sure Snags ......  with the high tech medical equipment we have today , one would think there would be a vaccine to kill a tick's venom or treating it with antibiotics , etc . The problem is most don't know they were bitten until it's well into our system.....

There was a vaccine for Lyme, it was legal for human use for a few years , then withdrawn as a few developed side effects , so now only my dogs get it :wall:

https://www.ctvnews.ca/health/is-it-time-to-bring-back-the-lyme-disease-vaccine-1.4059767

Thanks for that link Dave ,  I wasn't aware of this . The new AVL15 vaccine they are testing will surely be welcome to many outdoors people (like us) !    I really don't like giving Rover drugs that may play havoc with his system , like the heart worm drops which are absorbed through the skin ... doggies can't tell us how they feel if there's a side effect ....

Hopefully in 2-3 years this vaccine will be an option for us .....

I was shocked to read this .....  80,000 ticks on one moose !   Black flies are bad enough for these animals in the woods , but the ticks can be deadly for many moose ......

https://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/new-brunswick/winter-ticks-climate-change-moose-1.5452694

Archived