Always pay attention!

Jig Head

Don't ever walk away when you leave your rod still for carp or catfish, watched it for 10 mintues with no hits, so decided to walk away for a minute to scout and splash!...rod and reel were gone. Drag wasnt set loose enough i suppose.:( Anyone else have any similar experiences?

Yes i almost lost my rod to a carp i grabbed it as the reel hit the water it happen'd so fast i was using the old v stick(tree branch) as i left my rod holder at home i looked away for a sec and the rod bent and flipped off the stick and into the water. I ran and caught it just as the reel hit the water lesson learned drag is always loos and will not forget my rod holder again 

Carp have a tendency to hit hard while you are having a whiz or biting into a sandwich , or banana ...(they KNOW)! This happens more using a bolt rig (hence , "bolt") ! I mainly use a bait runner reel which can be set very lightly .When using regular reels , spinning or bait casters , set the drag back ....or tie the rod to a truck !  :Gonefishing:

Lost a brand new walleye rod up north. Trolling a little worm harness and put it down to light a smoke. It was like a torpedo out the back of the boat! Just bought it 2 days before! Oh ya, and the best part was my daughter had told me I should hold onto it!

" put it down to light up a smoke "    That was an expensive cig .  lol

Saw a guy lose a fish when his cig. touched the mono line .....died laughing .....:lol:

Listen to your daughter ....:P

My dad & I where  trolling for rainbow  trout on a small lake , when I snagged a fishing line , I started to bring in one end of the line & my dad brought in the other end of the line, I pulled in a 6lb trout  & he pulled in a nice rod & reel that was apparently yanked  of a boat into the water , It happens !!!!

Happened to me quite a few times in the past and once this year set my carp rod on my pod right after a cast turned around for a split second and heard my pod scraping against the rocks, luckily I was right behind it and didn't loose my rod, reel and pod ahaha

Years ago we were up at a camp on Laronde Creek near North Bay. A couple of rods went missing from some of the boats so we staked out the docks to see if we could catch the thief. Nothing the first night but on the second we heard a splash and saw a rod go over the side of a docked boat. The "thieves" were fish seeing a lure hanging over the side of the boat and dangling just above the water. Always pay attention.

Wow all those sound more interesting haha! At least it wasnt brand new or too expensive. Will make sure to keep my bail open or a close eye on the rod at all times. I usually jump right in if a rod falls over or a lure is snagged, but with the depth and snapping turtles on that day i think ill pass!

Today was a good example of keeping a tight watch on the rod .  Carping at Gibson today for a few hours .....using my 12' carp rod , pineapple flavoured maize on a hair rig . I set the back drag on the bait runner on a low setting , & set the rod on a prop about a foot above the water (very low today)

The first carp just slammed it ...no warning and was an awesome fighter ! ...it was 14 lbs .  The second was an exact repeat ...no warning bite , just took off , peeling off line and making a few good runs and hard head shakes ....also about 14 lbs . The 3 rd carp was much smaller , about 4-5 lbs but hit the maize hard .

The first 2 carp could have easily pulled my rod into the drink if the drag wasn't set !  Good day on the water , they liked my cooking !   :Gonefishing:

Tried a new rig today ...used a soft  line for the hair rig/hook with a "semi-bolt" 1.5 oz.egg sinker on 30# fl.carbon which could only slide about 4" , then act as a bolt rig ....worked very nicely !  

R2tEGy24W2Q1PYno72uucnW2kgIxRWL-O8OJylRx

....don't know why the second one bled so much , but took off okay on releasing it....

SQ8aXzp3SYL7yhWlQHeabTHE4nBxUk0aaRpuQmpH

There's a good chance you can retrieve the rod using another rod with a treble hook & small weight which may pick up the line or rod . I think the fish would have a hard time dragging the rod & reel very far on the soft bottom . I sure would give it a go !  :Gonefishing:

You know I read this topic before I went out last night. After about 3 hours of nothing I decided I had a minute to take a pee, sure enough in goes the rod and reel. Stupid me ran and dove in after it. Now not only is my rod / reel gone I got the pleasure of drying out my wallet today and purchasing a new phone :angry:

hard lesson learned last night :/ 

I saved three people's rod and reel  in my life, twice during salmon fishing frenzy at port hope pier fishing, and once at a carp fishing day in Hamilton. All three were of similar pattern, I was standing at least 10 feet away from their set up, minding my own business, since there were no fish to be caught, these guys just went away for few seconds to do something else, then I witness their rod tip first curved down, then the rod handle went up and forward, being pulled towards the rail, but the bulky part on the reel cause a slight obstruction for extra 1-2 second, all this split second moment gave me enough time to ran and grab the rod handle that was barely on the ledge, then I was forced to fight with the fish for few seconds as I yelled fish on, they had a big sigh of relief as I hand over their rod back to them for them to continue fighting their fish. They thank me for my fast reaction and the fish they had landed .

Because of my experience while coarse fishing, if I have to do something else and plan to be 10 feet away from my rod setup, I  would never even dare to gamble and leave my bait on the water, I would always pull my set up out of the water, even tough knowing it was another chore to recast. Especially during Salmon fishing on pier during the fall, whenever I am not paying attention to try to attempt to leave my rod, that was when my rod tip goes down, but with some kind of sound and light indicator attached to my rod, it was a major help for me to run and grab my rod. i told others around me to not focus too much on their set up, but never be too far away from it either, It seemed the more we are not anticipating a fish, that was when our rod tip goes down, otherwise, on contrary, we could be anticipating a fish to strike, but eventually get board from waiting for nothing. 

Archived