Testing a $20 dive cam

Jim K

I know most of you are not in the market for a sportscam, but we bumped some nice fish while doing this, and I KNOW you guys are interested in that.

Thanks for the video and the great evaluation of the product. If I was just starting diving or snorkeling it's something I'd love to have to add to the 'stuff' we all carry on a dive. Would have been great to have on the trips to Cozumel years ago. And only $20?

1 hour ago, floatman said:

Thanks for the video and the great evaluation of the product. If I was just starting diving or snorkeling it's something I'd love to have to add to the 'stuff' we all carry on a dive. Would have been great to have on the trips to Cozumel years ago. And only $20?

Remember those 35 mm disposable still cameras? There were the "waterproof " ones that worked down to about 20 ft before the buttons jammed up from the pressure. That's all we got for $ 20. Video equipment, phones and computers  have made huge leaps in this century. That's why I can't pick on this little camera too much. 

3 months ago, I bought something similar or newer version of those type of camera, with many accessories and wireless control, costing me all for CA$70(shipping cost included ), then with free slow motion software I downloaded on line, I used them on my tennis self improvement training regimen. It helped my tennis game improve big time, since I was  able to view specific segment of my tennis ground stroke, where I could diagnosed then work on  fixing them . Without slow motion option to view my technique,  whatever correction needed were not visible or easily seen during an execution of  a normal fast speed shot. Camera and software provides a 60FPS clear slow motion capture recording.

. The video quality was quite clear outside of that housing. With newer model having 170 degree wide  angle, I really love my camera, especially when I occasional travel to visit museums and log my trip. I just attached the camera on my chest ( With the chest strap accessories that came with it), while I walk around the museum floor , no need to hold the camera and put the view finder close to my eye.  With the handy wireless wrist watch type control that came with the price, I just remotely turn the camera on or snap a picture when I need to record something. During my regular  tennis training session, I attached the camera on a tripod and use the wireless remote control to turn the camera on or off. 

There are few free apps available to control the camera function as well. The Voice recording is also quite good when the camera is outside of the waterproof housing.

Archived