What is the "answer"

smerchly

http://www.stcatharinesstandard.ca/2017/08/10/fishing-lines-continue-to-hook-wildlife

It seems anglers are the main problem .....both fishing line & garbage .....seen plenty of that at Jordan (again)  yesterday .

Those plastic rings used for drinks should be banned for a start.....fines should start at $1000 for decimating our environment .....It makes all anglers look bad in the eyes of the public , especially people who respect our wildlife  .

I can see the mnr regs change to using non barbed hooks as they do out west (BC)

As a last recourse .....fishing spots may be posted ......    Obviously .....too many people with diminished brain capacity ......  :slap:  ...Im the guy in the yellow shirt ...

I don't think there is an answer smerchly with all the fishing line found there are just to many people that don't give a crap and it's people like that that kids watch and learn this stuff

from like they say monkey see monkey do it's obvious these people need babysitters it's a hard battle to fight when these guys can't be caught to catch these guys you would need someone watching them all the time it is a big problem for sure and a lot of wildlife suffer from it.It is sad but it's a simple problem to avoid  and until people wake up and see what is happening and we start to lose fishing spots these guys won't stop. As far as barb less hooks go it's rely not a bad idea a lot easier to get out of your hand lol and i don't think upping the fine will help when there is no one around to right them and even if there is a C.O or a cop around they have to catch you doing it and that's almost impossible But we all can do are part and if we see it we can tell them to pick it up but then if they are ignorant enough to do that then most likely they will just tell you to well you know _____ you can call a C.O but by the time they get there unless you record them doing it you have to prove that they did it then what next chances are they don't get fined and you will have to leave your spot cause they will be harassing you the rest of the day COME ON PEOPLE IT'S JUST FISHING LINE PICK IT UP AND TAKE IT HOME WITH YOU IT'S NOT THAT HARD OF A THING TO DO IF YOU BRING IT IN TAKE IT OUT SIMPLE YOU DON'T NEED MUCH OF A BRAIN TO FIGURE THIS OUT TEACH YOUR KIDS THE PROPER WAY OR MAYBE THEY NEED THE KIDS TO TEACH THEM EITHER WAY WAKE UP

Very good response Gunner ...It is frustrating , as you said , catching them in the act is hard to do . In some spots cameras ,like parking lot cameras can pick up faces , but the  night crew who come to eat , drink and use fires to cook and leave a big mess would escape a camera , mnr . but the police may spot them and investigate to see what they are doing .  They bring in coolers full of food & drink , but don't take the trash back with them . It weighs nothing !!

To be fair to our members ,  I know many of these people are not locals . Some really don't have the smarts to know where garbage goes .....or don't care about THIS country .  The first page in the regs should be about common courtesy , respect for others and the environment . Our government that dotes on GREEN  could do more by hiring people to clean up our roads , parks and "green" spaces . They did much more 50 years ago ......

39 minutes ago, I'm_A_Drifter said:

Carelessly discarded fishing line is my biggest peeve. Loose hooks too. 

You got it bro. T ......that one should be in BOLD PRINT in the regs.

It's a shame that some of the youth today spend most of their time playing video games or staring at their phones and not developing an appreciation of nature and how to respect the land and what it has to offer. It's our duty to teach this to our grandchildren and children.

28 minutes ago, Symmetre said:

You assume some of these idiots can actually read. Or even bother to look at the regs.

Thats a good point it's obvious these guys don't care about  the regs and the main reason that is there is nothing there to stop it  it's just words in a book and books cant touch you

so why follow them it's sad

3 hours ago, I'm_A_Drifter said:

Its the same mentality (there must be a term for this) that compels people to discard their used coffee cups out their car windows on scenic backroads.

The term is called " convenience " .    The same reason we package items in small quantities . Instead of buying a liter of orange juice in one container, we buy 10  packs at 100 ml.....many of which get tossed at any convenient spot.......We like our drive throughs to get our coffee & eats, and soon we can get our hamburgs form Ralph the robot ......and pay for it by a chip in our wrist . The garbage we see is partly caused by over packaging .....which they say is needed because there are too many thieves in today's world....it makes it harder to conceal .....

So , there isn't an answer to the newspaper story ....But I know there are many people involved in such activities like nature photography , bird watcher groups , and animal welfare groups who donate their time to help birds & animals in distress. They will pressure the governments to act in the interest of our wild creatures .  They would like nothing better than to ban shore fishing to stop the trashing our environment . Can you not blame them ?

more.....

While fishing Jordan a few days ago I noticed that a large broken tote that was heaped with garbage was emptied ! Who , why , where, when , I don't know . It it not accessible to be picked up by vehicle but can be by boat ....I hope it wasn't dumped and washed out into the lake ......We did a cleanup there a while back , using water craft , & got ton of crap from all over the banks of the harbour .......so many pigs out there ....:blush:....ya I'm embarrassed .....

Met a few NFN members while carping yesterday .....( 2 carp landed ) ....a few hits & misses .  As usual , fishing line everywhere , much of it tangled in shrubs ....need to cut it out or torch it ......

Nice to see Knightfisher , snags & Bubba14 out there enjoying the beauty day we had  !   :Gonefishing:

On the short trail it looks like someone had trouble with his line ......then decided to toss it over his shoulder and let "mother nature" take care of it ......makes me wonder if his Mother taught him any manners at all .......

this mess looks like about 150 yds .of 30 lb.Walmart  mono .......

71PJtK9UUYcbZHfVe-4pZWfTMhvbK_MvIEwU-yMa

I hope this dope didn't have spare line with him  !

.........over 300 hits.......not bad ......getting the word out there .....send to 10 friends ......:).......

There are coons ,mink ,muskrats , herons ,gulls, geese,  egrets , ducks,  turtles .....or skunks looking for food along the rivers & lakes . I saw the dead hawk hanging by the feet at Port Dal., .& I would have cut the small tree down if necessary to free it .(have saw will travel).   The first page in the reg.book would help make people more aware  .  As mentioned , a fishing license is handed out to anyone with zero knowledge about fishing .

If we pick up just the fishing line we see , it will help save the lives of our furry/feathered friends. 

Sadly Mr Bill, more regs and more red tape will change nothing. Banning fishing does not put an end to the problem, as a new form of trash/litter will just take it's place. Look at Martindale pond. YOu can build a small island with all the plastic bottles left lying around by walkers, joggers and rowers.

The problem is mankind period.  We may need the earth to live on, but mother earth would be far better off without us. No matter how you view it, mankind is constantly trying to change the world for it's own ends and convenience. Essentially, we have been at war with the world since before the industrial revolution.

I hear you Mr.Ugli ....

Fishing line is a small problem compared to our overall "plastic" society . We over package everything and too much ends up as trash . This article in the sun gives some insight into what we are up against ......looks like a grim situation !

http://www.torontosun.com/2017/08/14/our-plastic-problem

....and I'll add ....

A large parcel of land was sold to "investors" who have billions $$$$$ ready to buy up Canadian land . A super rich Chinese co.wants to build on 500 acres of land which has a unique wet land section . They could care less about our green space ,wet lands or anything else . They want to make more $$$$ . China has "invested" into our vineyards and are waiting to by more of this country. They have the power , thanks to selling goods to us & the world .....very smart people indeed . I was dismayed looking at the results of a "poll" that said most people don't care about the wetlands because it means jobs . Their answer is ....move the wet lands  & call it bio-diversity. What crap !

So there you have it ......our wet lands & green space means nothing . A golf course is on the chopping block to build a new subdivision . How sweet it is !  Super rich developers really do hold the "trump" cards . The Lake Gibson area is a designated green space , but I can see asphalt paving that over as well in the not too distant future. They will be building at the corner of Beaverdams Rd soon......inches away from Marlatts Pond ......

It is called "progress" ...... green don't matter , unless it's carbon taxable .

36 minutes ago, NP291911 said:

The only thing I can do is doing my self properly and this little right thing I am doing will effect other to doing the same proper thing. 

could you enlarge on that theory please ?  ........

• 2 weeks later...

Here's some more elaboration .......While checking out Port Dal. I spotted this big birds nest of about 150 yds. of fishing line while driving my van ...This line was only 50 yds. away from where I saw the dead hawk hanging from a tree .  It looks like the brain dead are still fishing there . ......:deadhorse:

weIWCu7GFdMmtu0mqbvvD5TauOT98Cd__2-ahYKF

• 2 weeks later...

Sorry guys, I am new to the forum and that's my first post.

Just randomly browser forum and found one post from yakfish:

I will often carry out a bag of garbage I pick up on my way back to my van. If everybody did that instead of whining on social media we might actually see a dent made in the amount of garbage all along our waterways. If you don't like the garbage, bring a bag with you and spend 5 minutes.

I think this what I am doing and what I mean, yakfish expressed clearly.

I believe lots of people in this forum doing the same thing, I want to show my respect to these guys.

1 hour ago, NP291911 said:

I will often carry out a bag of garbage I pick up on my way back to my van. If everybody did that instead of whining on social media we might actually see a dent made in the amount of garbage all along our waterways. If you don't like the garbage, bring a bag with you and spend 5 minutes.

I believe lots of people in this forum doing the same thing, I want to show my respect to these guys.

Good on ya NP  ...

When picking up garbage and some bagged garbage we must take care how to handle it ! Some of these trash tossers could be non fishing people doing drugs , leaving hazardous presents behind . When we have done cleanups we used long handled (dollar store) tongs and gloves to remove garbage .

Fish Farmer ....I (we) know what you mean . ......cook wear . propane bottles , sheephead carcasses , shrimp.....

Picking up stuff hazardous to birds & animals , like fishing line -hooks , plastic rings ,etc. would help save them .....

2 hours ago, NP291911 said:

Not sure who this yakfish guy is, but he makes a lot of sense!LOL

9 hours ago, smerchly said:

Good on ya NP  ...

When picking up garbage and some bagged garbage we must take care how to handle it ! Some of these trash tossers could be non fishing people doing drugs , leaving hazardous presents behind . When we have done cleanups we used long handled (dollar store) tongs and gloves to remove garbage .

Fish Farmer ....I (we) know what you mean . ......cook wear . propane bottles , sheephead carcasses , shrimp.....

Picking up stuff hazardous to birds & animals , like fishing line -hooks , plastic rings ,etc. would help save them .....

Thanks smerchly!

You do reminder me one very important thing - DRUGS! yes, I do remembered see some kind of drug staff only 1 or 2 in different places.

Be aware everybody.

Archived