What is the "answer"

smerchly

On 9/4/2017 at 9:37 PM, NP291911 said:

Thanks smerchly!

You do reminder me one very important thing - DRUGS! yes, I do remembered see some kind of drug staff only 1 or 2 in different places.

Be aware everybody.

Lol I must be hungover, I can't understand anything you are typing!

8 minutes ago, AwolRJ said:

Lol I must be hungover, I can't understand anything you are typing!

You have to read between the words (lol) ....lots of people with "broken English" out there .  :)  The "drug staff" are probably people in drug suits who go out daily to parks , etc. to pick up dangerous needles & pills left by the addicts .(hazmat team).   His last 3 words are important .....

btw.....Also be aware of broken glass & butts from the other addicts ......B)

We are going to need to make a concentrated effort to clean up after these people. My first trip back to my favourite spot (back in Niagara after a few years up North) and there was more garbage there than I have ever seen, all fishing stuff. I biked -without a garbage bag- am going back tomorrow to clean it up. 

Just have to hope we make an impression before an impression is made to the public that fishermen aren't being responsible. 

I spend a little time mountain biking. The trails are all on public land. There are a few groups who maintain the trails. These groups will post on their face book page a trail maintenance day, and get a group of people who use the trails regularly to come out and do maintenance on a certain section, which also includes garbage clean up.  Maybe this is something that could be tried on here?  Have a lake Gibson cleanup day, then a port D clean up and so on. Just a thought. 

NFN  has had cleanups at Port Dal., Jordan & the Whirlpool  . A week later the the doofus crowd has it looking like a dump again . They prob. laugh at the "idiots" cleaning up their garbage . Did you know that back in the fifty's people actually used their ash trays for butts in their cars ? But there were always some who thought nothing of emptying the ash trays in a parking lot or anywhere convenient for them . They probably passed their low mentality brain matter to their off spring ....There are groups who care about their grand children and have clean up days,  & other groups who specialize in picking up needles left by the dopers. 

Well today , I found the "answer" !  I decided to try the "12" at my fav.carp spot,  since the water is down . Long walk to the spot in this heat wave but my anticipation was high to land a few carp . .......I'll do a picture series as I go along .......

First thing I spotted when I arrived was this nice fat ball of braid in the brush at the top of the bank ...  ahh ,so nice !

uNMqFtDWB0b_0EN2hCP6L5v4YTwF4Yy4FSD-6m3C

Walked another 10' to set up my rod and spotted this in the brush ....

53hs8BHlao1SUgUgHmRQEFNS6MHSUvxqcZHpieYl

Tossed my hair rig/maize into the water and began looking at all the garbage strewn about ....simply amazing ! One would expect of all people who enjoy the environment that fishermen would have the most respect .....WRONG ! 

A788KEjy6CZc7Ph51AzOmXq7IVoOp6uA9fxVQTIr

Another 50' downstream I found another mess , primarily Tim cups & lots of worm boxes ,broken rod pieces, cig packs , line spools ....and one person was kind enough to bag up some trash & stick it behind some brush on the bank  !   Amazing !!!! :dunno:

gx3kb38XUacL71jJRdbbSlxsFFwNr2Z7VdCBumZj

I carry a garbage bag with me in my back pack ,so I packed it up and filled my recycle box.,etc. Tim cups went into the newspaper grey box, even though I heard it goes in the reg. garbage ....take it up with Timmies ! There is 12 bait boxes ....seems the same person may fish there often ...same cig . packs , pop cans ....got a real winner here .....( broken rod , messed up lines )  :wacko:

gpa9N8-4LpFD2ygbCR-f457U_CUeaqyXSUHEZAWH

Well....the carp weren't biting , not even a sniff on the maize  or the puff corn ....no fish jumping & no minnows to be found . But I did find a pair of scissors that had 1/4" broken off one side & I kept a couple new bait boxes for my worm trips . I ground the tips down on the scissors , rounded them off & they cut very nicely !  Being curious , I weighed the trash I brought home ....a BIG one pound , 12 ounces total !!

ZYuIAB-nXX6L_GJmrTRIWBqvpUQnBhq_c1NR7juN

Ok ...my grand finally .....

The "answer" to the garbage problem .......

" The answer my friends .....is blowing in the wind  !  :read:

It's very disappointing to see smerch and it's something thats going to be past down generation after generation and like you said of all people fishermen should have more respect for the environment .But think again that's only in fairy tales. Thank you for picking that mess up and i hope that if any young kids see this post will do there best to end this trend 

it's to bad we couldn't have volunteers working for the Environment Canada that can legally charge these nit wits i would be the first to sign up but thats another fairy tale as it's not in our governments agenda 

GOOD JOB SMERCHLY:thx:

It's hard to catch them in the act gunner  , much easier to put up the signs . Unfortunately , we now have computers, Iphones and all the web sites to spread the word where to fill your buckets with fish .....The city did a big clean up at Port 2 weeks ago ....there's more garbage there now than the previous one .....and I see many who fish there are from "out of town" ...

The foam worm boxes are a menace as they break up easily and blow all over the place .....no need to use them when they can use material like plant boxes that are cheap and break down into a composted  material . I sent an email to Jim Bradley when he was minister of environment and like a typical politician he said to ask your bait shops to consider alternate boxes (pass the buck) . But they will carbon tax us on many products because they make mega bucks on it .Their "green" policies are a big scam & many know it .

• 3 weeks later...

For a second I thought it was Australia  ...  has a similar shape .  I think they know where most of this floating garbage comes from ....imagine how much stuff lies on the bottom of the oceans !   Obviously , this stuff could be "harvested" and taken to land for disposal ....maybe use some giant fishing trawlers to gather it up ....pay them for all the "recycles" and save some fish for themselves ......

• 1 month later...

Well , here's an answer from the Sea Way Authority ......

http://www.stcatharinesstandard.ca/2017/11/24/search-engine-keeping-out-illegal-dumpers

I used to fish many spots along the Welland Ship Canal that are now closed . Lock 1 at the spillway was a favourite for many species of fish .Lock 2 was loaded with drum along the wall ...had a blast with them .  Over many years the land along the canal -Seaway Rd. was shut down as it became a dump site . There are still a few spots where a vehicle  can back into a spot where anglers enjoy wetting a line , but it's only a matter of time the fences & road blocks will go up . Nothing much has changed at other popular spots where fishing line , roe bags with hooks , food & tackle packages are tossed .  Over the years most smokers think nothing about tossing their butts out the car window , in the drink or anywhere else ......this attitude is where it all begins.....( sorry smokers , but  butts are one of the worst ) ....

Anglers are only a small part of the overall problem .....society needs an education .....the courts needs to get much tougher .  Our kids take notice......

• 2 weeks later...

Hey , I'll reply smerch !    I read "other"  :ph34r: fishing sites as well , an I'm happy to see garbage is an issue with other ethical anglers as well .  One site was (is) discussing a fishing spot at a causeway that had been shut down because of the trash left by the "non-ethical" bunch .  It seems this is the only answer to stop the "trashy" ones from trashing our environment , and this action could be the "new way" to end the trash dilemma .  I'm sure other city councils are eyeballing this action taken by them since the trash problem will not change  .  It might help the boat industry as it may be the only way to wet a line .....:mellow:

I heard that GTA recycling program is not a profitable program either , it still needs government subsidy, and could not break even. Many recyclable things still went inside our garbage bag, where no agencies to monitor its inefficiencies. My Romanian friends told me their  government hires people, who will dig out the garbage of residence and fines the household owners , if there are recyclable stuff inside that should have been included at the recyclable bin.

I can't blame the community to stereotype shore fisherman for being garbage dumper, due to the obvious concentrated garbage being left behind on fish-able shoreline. Many people seems to not care about the cleanliness/aesthetic beauty of our environment. Though it is unfair to stereotype people, where there are many other shore anglers who cares and have to clean up after those who  dump garbage.  Once we get used to seeing or hearing of too many similar negative things, we get desensitized and somewhat became carefree ourselves. So many homicidal crimes happening in GTA everyday that we are not too concern or baffled anymore.  

Once in a blue moon, I fish lake Ontario on a boat, I witness lots of plastic made material floating around at least a km away from our  shoreline. Our shoreline is not as bad , since the city cleans them often. but many plastic still floats too far from shoreline that no government agencies have the man power or financial budget resources to clean them up. Water bottle is one obvious item seems visible everywhere. If most people kept on drinking bottled water, then there are no incentives for the government to provide consistent clean drinkable tap water in the future.   

Southern Ontario creates so much garbage, and so unfortunate where state of Michigan is desperate for money  and willing to take our garbage as a solution! In Japan, having more limited space, they were able to minimize their garbage output, and have incinerator that coverts garbage into reusable energy and with minimal pollution output.

Would it give Consumers more incentive to improve our recycling habits, if there are higher values that we need to pay first, but we can also redeemed money from these recyclable goods? Only LCbo has a limited Bottle recycling program. IN USA, Many groceries  have smart machines that accept different recyclable stuff, and consumers gets a refund for them. Grocery shopper used to dump the push cart everywhere outside the premises or even take them for a km stroll . Until it cost to borrow one of  these cart, from a quarter to a loonie ,  and  get their money back if they return them to their designated spot. So Consumers are trainable after all.

How about some kind of recyclable center that will give us a raffle numbered ticket, to those who can dump minimum of a lb of recyclable material. Then once a month, there is a website that will inform the winner, prize from a cup of coffee to a trip to the Bahamas.  The draw back will be some people will be stealing recyclable stuff . It happened within GTA before , when some independent recycling company stealing recyclable stuff off the blue bin owned by the city. 

Smerch,

What is happening with your fishing report? Instead of posting a photos of your catch, you have been posting high quality garbage photos instead.  Are you discouraging and telling us that there are more garbage to catch  then fish these days? Have you switch hobby to becoming an environmentalist instead of an Angler? :mellow:...............Or Are you getting into a different kind of Urban Art form that we have to learn to appreciate these days!  :D

Hi FF

I don't post many fish photos now ....how many  perch or carp pictures do we need to see over & over ?  I'll post a photo of a personal best , like a 30# plus carp  or 15" perch , etc. I fished for trout today using a Kwik Fish but no takers ....water at Port Dal is quite stained . My garbage rants are over ....what will be will be ....

I have always been an environmentalist  F.F. ....I would like to see wildlife thriving , healthy fish , clean water & garbage free land . I do not want to leave  the mess for my great grand kids to deal with our neglect ....even it it means closing down fishing spots . I will continue to pick up hooks & line ......

Thanks for your concern F.F. , you seem to be quite a knowledgeable fellow .  Good fishing ! And happy tweaking .  :)

I am not sure of the effect of leaving a clean garbage bag that is visible and hanging on a tree beside  the walkway to a fishing ground. Would that gesture encourage anglers to dump their garbage inside ? Or the area will become an ugly garbage dumping ground?

During past salmon season, I notice quite a few beer can, worm container, etc. on the ground beside 3 guys who were just ready to pack up and leave,  so I remind them to keep our environment clean.  What they did was they put their garbage inside a garbage bag, but they left the bag behind , tide to a fence, for others to use.  I was not sure if that was a good or bad idea after all.

In our condo building where I live, people are allowed to smoke outside the entrance, but they took off the cigarette ashtray stand, since some smokers carelessly miss putting their cigarette butt inside. Or tenant does not put their garbage inside the garbage can, just threw outside of it. So a sign was placed beside the garbage bin to remind others that garbage should be placed inside the Bin.  Another observation of mine, condo tenant who parked inside the underground parking lot do not necessarily pick up their  own litter either. We do not have extra personnel to sweep our parking lot , so the accidental litter end up staying there for weeks. Since it bugs me at times, I end up picking them up.   

Thanks Smerch for doing your part, you are only one. I should word my comment "OUR PART"

It's not just our fishing spots, it's all over the place, highways, city streets, etc.

Makes me sick seeing people smoking at the General Hospital in Hamilton as I walk to the main entrance off Victoria Ave, the curb is lined with butts.

Makes me want to scream at those lazy #@%&$ PIGS. But I could be the one getting treated with a broken face:rolleyes::D

You are right F.F.R. ....2 ff's here lol .  People our age have witnessed the degradation of society in general . ....too many people  who think they are entitled and just don't care ....even those slobs kids  will inherit their slobbishness  & trashed planet . The governments also play a big part in allowing the huge waste in packaging ....like bottling tons of water into  billions of plastic bottles,  & world trade is a huge waste of resources  from fuel to packaging  ....I could go on for pages but  it's a total waste of www. space .   The answer is so simple ..."Bring it in ...take it out "  It's much  lighter !!  The "simpletons"  won't "get it" .

And you're right ....say something to these bone heads & you may get stabbed .  There are other way to deal with them ......but I'll stifle that one .....

We can only do our part. Sadly, that will never be enough, but that is the way of this changing world. Social consciousness for the world around us has just about disappeared.

58 minutes ago, bigugli said:

We can only do our part. Sadly, that will never be enough, but that is the way of this changing world. Social consciousness for the world around us has just about disappeared.

Social consciousness had been replaced with a phone Bruce .  And it will get much worse . I do feel for our future generations. I believe I was born at the best of times in many ways  before the "modern" world took over  .

Archived