Boat ramp etiquette.

NiagaraRiverFisher

Please, to the people that don't know what "Boat ramp etiquette" means , look it up please , Not every boater falls in this category of course thank god, if they did I would probably sell my boat long time ago , but I Always tip my hat to the guys that show "proper etiquette"  out of respect for doing things right , like preparing your vessel before you try to launch and not cutting in line , after you recover your boat move your rig out of the way please for others to get there stuff out of the water too , there should be some test questions that deal with this type of stuff on the boater's exam imo , btw to the "gentleman" that buzzed by my boat while I was drifting the lower aug 10th nearing the end of the queenston long drift, 15 feet away from me going full out , you are a  reckless imbecile :slap: and you shouldn't be allowed to operate a vessel, you almost gave me and my 70 year old elderly fishing partner a friggin heart attack !:thx: I hope your not a member here, Probably not" I also think the boating license thing needs to be over hauled to include "common sense" .  I'm almost sure other members here have experienced some sketchy things like that :excl: , end of rant. NRF.

anyone can go on line and get a boater lic.and then they think they know it all . I think that all new boaters should have some kind of test on the water . a beginner driver has to take a road test and so should new boaters .   td

the boaters exam hopefully gives some boaters some general knowledge, that's the best it will get

as far as boat ramps, as I sit and wait and watch some of the best entertainment of the day

hopefully those who are new to the boating experience gain the knowledge but there will always be more newbies and then there are the Knuckleheads

In 35 years I haven't seen it change, boating licence or not

Newbies sometimes need a little helping hand or advice. I know I have come a long way at the boat ramp since I first started. I show up with everything ready to go now, just un strap and back it into the water, and can have it on the trailer and out of the way in a few minutes.  I am sure at the beginning just my backing up was enough to get some people frustrated with me. I would have welcomed some friendly advice. There will always bone heads who don't care though, adding etiquette to boating course will never change that. 

I have never had problems with boaters just them fools on jet skies they are nothing but show offs and it don't matter they aim for you at top speeds and wiz by you just feet away 

Anyone who wants some entertainment on an otherwise dull day only has to take a lawn chair and sit close to any boat ramp on Lake O in July or August! The full Monty of frustrations, yelling, screaming, and amazement are there to witness. Morning is somewhat gentle, but afternoons from 2-5 during the derby are the best!

Maybe all public ramps should have a sign posted explaining the proper procedure to launch boats .....but I wouldn't want to spoil the entertainment ....B)

A few weeks ago I took my family and some visiting relatives for a ride on Chippawa Creek and the Niagara. On our way back to the ramp the clouds rolled in and it seemed everyone headed in at the same time. The ramp was very busy but going smoothly even though it was now pouring rain. When it was time for the two guys in front of me to take their boat out, they got the trailer in and the boat on it in no time. They then sat there and started buttoning up canvas, unloading coolers, coiling lines, stowing fenders, etc. I mentioned to them that this is not something you do on the ramp when other are waiting. The guy blew up on me and in very foul language told me not to explain launch etiquette to him as he had waited in line like everyone else and now it was his turn and everyone else could wait for him. How do you argue with someone like this? On the other hand, many a time I've been at the ramp and have encountered people not comfortable with backing up their rigs. I have gone over and quietly offered to do it for them and every time they have accepted my offer with a profusion of thanks saying it was the one thing that kept them from coming out as much as they would like. There is a learning curve for everything and we just have to be patient.

Archived