Welland river

slowski

Welland River is hit and miss for me. I usually can get a pike and/or bass or 2 trolling in my kayak. Lots of people catching walleye and other things on worms/worm harnesses. Cut bait will also likely do well in there. We went out for a couple hours the other night with lures and got skunked. People using bait were doing alright though.

• 2 weeks later...

My mom lives on welland river  by o'reilly's bridge for about three years.. I was just catching small catfish and sheepheads .. But seen the carp jumping all the time and now i can catch carp all day... I  see boats trolling by what they fishing for? I have never caught a bass or pike in the river.. Anyone know if pike in river by welland river o'reilly's bridge area? 

18814156_10214355214940974_1709328461932184435_n.jpg

2 hours ago, kgm said:

There is walleye, pike and bass in that end of the river for sure

So nothing by o'reilly's bridge area then? Would have to travel down river towards the Welland Canal to get pike? Sorry i'm new to the area .But on some days catch 20 carp on my home made bait.. wanting to catch big cats or pike 

9 hours ago, Morley said:

So nothing by o'reilly's bridge area then? Would have to travel down river towards the Welland Canal to get pike? Sorry i'm new to the area .But on some days catch 20 carp on my home made bait.. wanting to catch big cats or pike 

There are pike, walleye and bass at that end of the river by o'reillys bridge. There are certainly more on the other side of the aqua duct in welland (clearer water and more weeds) but you can find them where you are. The water on that end is pretty muddy. Try throwing black or dark color crank baits and spinners. (I like darker colours in dark water. Other people will say bright colours but I find the dark colours show through the muddy water better ). Good luck 

The Welland River has a little bit of everything in it. I fish near O'riellys bridge a bit and have caught cats, carp, bass, pike, crappie, bowfin, perch, sheephead, bullheads etc... Most species are small but there are some big channel cats to be had if you put in the time. 

• 3 years later...

Anyone know what kind of fish are in the Welland River in the Niagara Falls area? Mainly around QEW, mainly in the Baden Powell (Grassy Brook) Park area? 

Is there access to fish from shore or is my best option to take the canoe into this location? 

Bass, and pike for sure.  That end of the river is super deep in spots. Find the more shallow areas like under the QEW, or into Port Robinson  and you will find bass and pike.  I assume there is walleye in there as well but have never seen any on that end of the river myself