Water fowl loads

kgm

Just wondering what everyone uses for water fowl loads?  Anyone using heavy shot?  I use 3” Kent faststeel shells through a full choke. Most of the places I hunt is pass shooting. Although we do get some ducks coming in to land with the decoys, most shots are flocks that come down and fly by the decoys kinda like “hey you all should come with us”. These shots seem like although they are in range, they are at the outer limits of range. I am wondering if we should step up to heavy shot, or maybe an extra full steel choke would do it? This is my second year waterfowl hunting, an advice is appreciated 

thanks

I no longer hunt but we used Imperial lead shot #2 or #4 ....full choke for ducks .  I  think the lead shot was better for cleaner kills back in those days .....not familiar with the steel shot used today ....

if i am hunting the lake i will use black cloud they have what it takes to get through the feathers and the thick fat but if i'm hunting field or the creek i just shoot the winchester high velocity the birds are much closer and black cloud pack a hell of a punch for them close birds with the winchester shots i drop birds at 30 yds no problem full choke do you lead the birds when you shoot? most  of the time if your just shooting at the bird you will miss you need the bird to fly into your shot they are not a easy target very fast my buddy shoots the same shell you do and he loves them my gun hates them if there is any thing else you might need help with just ask i'm sure there is someone or my self will 

help with some answers .I don't think you need to change your shells or your choke but then you never know i my self was never a fan of kent shells so if you believe it's your shells try something else for sure let us know how things work out for you hopefully for the best best 

Usually with steel shot a modified or improved modified choke gives you the best pattern.

I was using Black Cloud for geese, but switched to the Winchester Blind Side last year, and it worked well.

If you go to a tighter choke than improved modified for steel you had really better try patterning them out on paper, as tighter chokes can blow apart your steel patterns.

Thanks for the advice. I was thinking on trying the black cloud as I have heard good things. I am always hunting Lake Erie as that’s the only place I currently have for waterfowl, and I think consistency should pay off at some point. I use the full choke with the Kent shells because when I patterned with the modified it was not too impressive (although I have not patterned with the full so maybe I should give it a go).  Hopefully I will be posting a hunting report soon of some birds in hand. Thanks again

Archived