Saugeen River KOTD Report

steelshady

Fished KOTD tournament last weekend on October 28 for the first time, actually this has been my second tournament that I ever fished.  Arrived Friday morning around 8:30 am to pre fish the big event in order to educate my self where the fish would be.  I have been fishing this river since I started float fishing about 25 years ago, lots has changed, you don’t see “Grey Dog” on the flats anymore hooking double digits and no Darryl Choronzey on shore preparing lunch (Miss that show on Saturday mornings).  Back then, when you showed up during the week, you had the lower river to your self and still hooked up with fish.

Probably 100 guys fishing, and I am not talking about just the dam, add another 100 on top lol.  Started below the graveyard on the south side in the fast water, hooked eight fish and landed two, which was bad considering the amount of fish at the Geen.  Water about 3 feet visibility and just below 8.0 m and crested. A cold front was approaching and I was in a rush to locate more fish, unfortunately, I would have to wait until 3 pm until the crowds have left.  Switched to the North side and hooked a few more fish until it was time to get back to the Manor and rest for the night.

When the big day arrived, I was on the river at 6:30 am waiting for daylight on the North side of the graveyard in the fast water. Unfortunately, I only ended up with 43” of steel, not even close to place in the top 8.  I did loose a big fish in the am that could probably place me in the top 8, but that is history now. Met lots of great fisherman that had float reels and rods that I could only dream about back when I was a kid.  My 15’ frontier and an Islander reel back from 2001 just could not perform they way I saw others drift; some of the reels I saw were simply amazing and expensive!  At the end of the day, water was on the rise and got very cold outside with the cold front going by. Many fish caught during this tournament with tons of great prizes won, the event was very competitive with some of the best steelheaders in Ontario competing against each other. Couldn't even win a raffle prize after spending $60 on tickets, came home a big looser, down $500 if you tally up all the expenses, lol....

Tim

WE can NEVER use cost as a value to the day spent fishing. I too remember fishing 40 years ago, and having 20-30 fish days. Most guys were bottom bouncing, and CP fishing was just getting established. The improvement on rods and reels and new ideas on presentation has turned steelhead fishing on it's head! The internet has made novices into masters overnight. Yarn was the big heads-up in my day. Now soft beads, glass beads, plastic beads, jigs, commercially cured roe, and tandem presentations tease the fish into submission. 

You should be proud of getting any fish in ever harder conditions. 

Anymore if I get a couple of fish a day on that river I figure I've done well.

Big congratulations to the winners. Well done!

Hey! Good on ya for giving it your best shot...Great report! I used to fish those waters in the 80's and it was nice to read your report on the same sections of water i used to be familiar with. All the best in your future fishing adventures...

Sounds like a good time. What is it total inches? How is the measurements recorded? We do fly tournements and provide everyone with a measuring trough to take pictures of their fish in showing the whole fish. How does the KOTD tournament work? Id like to enter that next year.

They provide each angler with a measuring stick, similar to your measuring trough, and a picture of the fish is taken while it's being measured. They tally the total for up to 3 fish,total lengh, to determine the winner.

Archived