How to store long leader, spaced splitshots and float?

corsara

So, it's not a secret I've been experimenting with drifting a float for trout.  I usually have a 1 ft leader, followed by a swivel, then splitshots spaced about a 1/2 ft up (let's say another 5 ft of splitshots), followed by the slop float.  When I take apart my 2 piece 10ft rod, the length becomes 5ft, which is less than the stuff that obviously cannot go through the guides.   I seem to always struggle, I even just cut it the last time I fished when I had to go home.   Are there any tricks to that?   I hope you can understand my question, it's hard to explain.

Hi Corsara. Good on you for experimenting with floatfishing! In my opinion... Your 5 feet of shot is the problem for easy storage. I stack my weight with slip sinkers and a bead that buts up against the swivel. Use a longer leader and less split shot length and this will shrink your overall length, making storage easier. Hope this helps! Also 10 ft rods I generally use as a bottom bounce rod not a float rod.

22 minutes ago, bobert said:

Hi Corsara. Good on you for experimenting with floatfishing! In my opinion... Your 5 feet of shot is the problem for easy storage. I stack my weight with slip sinkers and a bead that buts up against the swivel. Use a longer leader and less split shot length and this will shrink your overall length, making storage easier. Hope this helps! Also 10 ft rods I generally use as a bottom bounce rod not a float rod.

Thanks for the reply.  I've considered bulking up the shot (or using a slip sinker(s) for that matter) right above the swivel.  But I've been reading about all these shotting patterns, messing up my mind.  Wondering how much it really matters, perhaps it's exaggerated...especially if a longer leader is used (less chance for fish to see the big sinker).   I guess if I could see people catching fish with bulked up shot, my confidence will increase.  When I'm down by the whirlpool, almost every centerpinner seems to use some more spread-out shot pattern.. :(

As for the 10 ft rod---I'm using a baitcaster, helps to control my drift as that's better than a spinning reel, maybe worse than centerpin for which I'm not ready yet.  It is unfortunate that I cannot find off the shelf baitcasting rod, which is longer.  Ideally I'd like a 13-14 ft, but they just don't seem to make them :(   And if I bulk up my shot or use a sliding sinker, casting will be so much easier with the baitcaster....I just don't know if it's not spooking the fish too much like this, is it?

I don't know how I didn't think of that before (wrapping it over the reel and up to an eyelet arm)!  :blink:

For elastics, I was using for a long time regular rubber bands, but then I bought a rod which came with complimentary elastics (see pic below), which are awesome.  Bought a few more pairs for other rods I carry with me.   In fact, last time I was at Whirlpool I found one in the parking lot as I was heading down, somebody had dropped it.  Later in the day when I was packing up to go, I pulled one from my pocket, which caught on another one and catapulted it in the water and current took it...  heh

Snap39.jpg

I like to use a longer leader. 24- 30" to the swivel. Might be ok when its dirty water to go short, but generally go a bit longer. 

Archived