$50 CDN centerpin reel - is it worth it? You be the judge! (video attached)

corsara

You cant judge a reel on just spinning it...LOL. All though it looks impressive its not indication of the quality of the reel. Whats the reel start up like with a 4mil float and little split shot? Whats it like after you fought a few fish with it or put it under load? Is there any line interference on the spool or problem with the clickers.  Ask those questions after you have owned it for a while and put it through the paces...Any wobble, even the slightest is unacceptable in a pin reel. 

Haha, after watching the video again theres way to much wobble right from the start. LOL.  When you load line on that reel and fish it a few times, youll be coming back to give your results  lI suspect the reel fails fairly quick

Decided to end this topic as the harm might outweigh the benefit for the board .  It's a cheap reel, so of course it won't perform like an expensive one.  I think for the price it's surprisingly decent.  But as suggested, if I find myself ever fishing with it on a regular basis (doubtful, but who knows), I'll report back.

Looked pretty good to me but I'm not a centre pin guy.

Maybe a thin washer would help on what little play it has.

Like you say just starting out and only centre pining once in awhile, who cares if it's $50 or $1000.00, you'd fool me.

You're only going fishing to have fun, not to impress is the way I look at it. 

I've seen to many fishermen with the best of the best and it doesn't make them any better then anyone else.  Learn with this reel, it will be fine and if you enjoy this way of fishing then progress according to your financial situation.

3 hours ago, deetch said:

I've seen to many fishermen with the best of the best and it doesn't make them any better then anyone else.  Learn with this reel, it will be fine and if you enjoy this way of fishing then progress according to your financial situation.

I'm somewhat in agreement with deech on this. 

However, learning on poor equipment can be very frustrating as well. Learning to cast, especially BC, or Wallis, can be difficult with great reels, and terrible with a reel that doesn't spin well. Fishing slow water or back eddies is tough with a reel that doesn't spin easily. Feeding line by hand to allow a perfect drift is much harder than feathering the rotation with your finger to apply the correct amount of tension to trot the line correctly. 

Ralph Field was right on the mark when he mentioned line getting in behind the spool on reels with large tolerances. (The original Stantons were terrible for this). So my take also is buy the best you can afford, and as deetch says, upgrade if you like it. 

If I were to suggest where to spend the money first, I'd opt for the reel every time. A cheap wimpy 13-14' stick will help forgive mistakes on learning how to apply drag, but a reel that constantly causes aggravation while learning will drive you back to your level wind, IMO.

I started with almost similar reel I paid $65CA , and another $25 Ukrainian reel 8 years back. For niagara river and similar to Mississuaga river flow current speed application, these type of reel is more than enough to use, where line does come out even at 4g float.  When I was still new at using the Ukrainian made Centerpin reel , to prevent a birdnest while casting. I had to improvised ,cut and add a slim leather piece material that came off an old wallet, add it to the screw knob, just to add slight drag during casting . Then I could release or tighten to add drag as I please.  The draw back was the center screw knob can potentially come loose, as fishing time passes . Some minor aggravation, but it helped control the over spinning.   

Finding where the fish are hiding, and less crowded spot is the toughest part in a fishing success these days. Back more than 15 years ago, when Centerpin reel was costing $300 to $500. Many of us were using spinning and baitcasting reel to float fish or bottom bounce. There were also  way more fish and less anglers before then these days. 

The next gadget to advance fishing gear for the Elite ...........will be Drone fishing!

43 minutes ago, fishfight said:

The next gadget to advance fishing gear for the Elite ...........will be Drone fishing!

Already done:  

I can't wait till the cheaper version comes out, and I want one too!

A $5000 fish where Japanese are willing to pay for fresh Sashimi, ...............Could be worth that using that gadget  Without a drone , it is hard to spot the fish from shore. 

Not that expensive at all.  Go to hobbyking.com, look at the drones.  What you need is a camera drone, and if you're not experienced at flying drones, it would help to have some more safety features.  Under $200 you can get a nice drone with live view camera and GPS tracking (can program to return back safely).  Most would have an altitude meter too, so can be programmed to keep a certain altitude and never go below unless at predefined landing site.   For fish-line release, a simple downrigger clip if you want to let the line go after the fish bites.  Or just for casting distance/location----some wire as an almost right-angled hook, then and you can maneuver the drone to tilt and the line will just drop down.  I've seen other videos before, including some that went wrong :)   I'd totally try it, but here the conditions are different, it makes sense to do that from the beach instead of surf fishing.

Update:  here's one that will do the job and is relatively cheap:  https://hobbyking.com/en_us/nova-pro-main-body-esc-radio-receiver-rtf-lite-mode-1.html?___store=en_us

• 3 weeks later...

About the cheap $50 reel---well, I still haven't used it as I'm quite happy with my other setups.  But I was messing with my equipment and saw one of the wooden handles doesn't turn freely anymore.  It's been in the basement, I believe the wood expanded due to temperatures. 

Prob.better with plastic handles . The old 50's casting reels had them .

I didn't watch the video .....

As far as drone fishing/hunting /spying ,etc.  is concerned , it's a sad day when anglers must rely on a drone to catch/find fish as it is for hunters to send a drone out over a meadow/pond looking for moose  . The drones sure will help anglers get their limits everyday ..... We have  enough technology now.  Where's the MNR  on this ?  The government doesn't care obviously as they get tax money from them....just my "old school " take on it !   :mellow:

20 hours ago, smerchly said:

Prob.better with plastic handles . The old 50's casting reels had them .

I didn't watch the video .....

As far as drone fishing/hunting /spying ,etc.  is concerned , it's a sad day when anglers must rely on a drone to catch/find fish as it is for hunters to send a drone out over a meadow/pond looking for moose  . The drones sure will help anglers get their limits everyday ..... We have  enough technology now.  Where's the MNR  on this ?  The government doesn't care obviously as they get tax money from them....just my "old school " take on it !   :mellow:

Drones are already illegal to use for hunting in Saskatchewan. I assume it won’t be long until they are made illegal to use in Ontario as well. 

3 hours ago, kgm said:

Drones are already illegal to use for hunting in Saskatchewan. I assume it won’t be long until they are made illegal to use in Ontario as well. 

Illegal here too .  The problem is catching them using it , they don't make much noise & neither does a cross bow .  I can see big problems with drones in the future  . I wouldn't hesitate to call the cops if I saw one used illegally . Just check it out on google .

http://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/sudbury/aerial-drone-hunting-ontario-1.4210318

1 hour ago, smerchly said:

Illegal here too .  The problem is catching them using it , they don't make much noise & neither does a cross bow .  I can see big problems with drones in the future  . I wouldn't hesitate to call the cops if I saw one used illegally . Just check it out on google .

http://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/sudbury/aerial-drone-hunting-ontario-1.4210318

Glad to hear it’s illegal here as well. I’m a younger guy and find technology great, but it certainly has its appropriate uses and inappropriate uses. Hunting is definitely an inappropriate use of it

Archived