thorold, lock reservoirs

Limey

just been searching google satellite view for some new places for me to try when the weather gets a bit better...

i noticed a couple of reservoirs off the welland canal locks (No7?) there's one by a place called walker industries and another by  'good eats' diner.

is it legal/accessable/even worth bothering to fish these at all or should i be broadening my search?

Thanks. 

The good eats by the GM plant?  Or lock 3?

The GM one is fenced off now.  I'm sure you should still find your way in!  Pretty sure that was the old canal. You use to be able to see the salmon run in there in the fall. 

Never had too much luck there!

Most of that water are weirs which the canal uses to fill the locks  & part of the old canal system . Much of it is shallow , full of weeds  with some pike  ....all basically off limits now . The salmon came up the canal with the ships and got into the weirs and could run right up to Glendale to the big pipe culverts . Some followed a ditch runoff right up to the GM plant's sewage discharge area .

19 minutes ago, Double_Dk said:

The good eats by the GM plant?  Or lock 3?

The GM one is fenced off now.  I'm sure you should still find your way in!  Pretty sure that was the old canal. You use to be able to see the salmon run in there in the fall. 

Never had too much luck there!

yeah it was the GM plant one i was talking about mate,  i'll give them a miss, cheers.

4 minutes ago, smerchly said:

Most of that water are weirs which the canal uses to fill the locks  & part of the old canal system . Much of it is shallow , full of weeds  with some pike  ....all basically off limits now . The salmon came up the canal with the ships and got into the weirs and could run right up to Glendale to the big pipe culverts . Some followed a ditch runoff right up to the GM plant's sewage discharge area .

looks like i dodged another bullet, cheers mate.

I worked at plant #2 (Glendale)  for almost 30 years . Plant 1 was Ontario St. And Plant 3 was at Welland Ave .... for a short time . Since there's only one plant left I guess we can call it plant 1 now ...or just the GM St.Catharines plant  .  Not much water near the old Ontario St. plant except the 12 Mile Creek . ....many varieties of fish in there .

6 minutes ago, smerchly said:

I worked at plant #2 (Glendale)  for almost 30 years . Plant 1 was Ontario St. And Plant 3 was at Welland Ave .... for a short time . Since there's only one plant left I guess we can call it plant 1 now ...or just the GM St.Catharines plant  .  Not much water near the old Ontario St. plant except the 12 Mile Creek . ....many varieties of fish in there .

Thanks Smerchley, i don't mind figuring out good spots by trial and error on 12 mile (only just heard of it when you mentioned it) but a little pointer on where the best place to park the car and start me off would be a massive leg up for me, even in a PM if need be.

I'm honestly not after anyone's secret spots as even though it was sometime's frustrating i quite enjoyed whiling away the hours last summer just exploring on me lonesome :D

7 minutes ago, duck&wine said:

I remember fishing for salmon off of glendale there by GM many years ago as a young teenager.  Good times but they were pretty beat up by then.

It was more fun catching the carp upstream near "Gate12"  .  We got some nice pike there also . You should remember the beautiful trout stream there as well ? That stream is now called Haulage Rd......:(

In the old canal trout and salmon make it up to Glendale road.

Throughout the system you will find lots of pike, bass, sheephead, cats, and carp ... but there is very little when it comes to size.  I used to fish it from Glendale up to the spillway that feeds the system until it got fenced off.

Is it worth it?  Some days it was a blast.  Other days not so much.  Once saw a large print with no claw marks ... so I got out of there pretty quickly that day.  Lots of coyotes in there as well.

1 hour ago, Snags said:

Once saw a large print with no claw marks ... so I got out of there pretty quickly that day. 

I don't want to sound too daft here but what might that have been?

The only animals to worry about in England are the opposition football fans ?

It was long before cellphones were photo capable ... but I would pencil in a bobcat or cougar.

For the most part in Niagara the only animals you need to be aware about are the coyotes which can be pretty brave in some areas.

Lots of coyotes about right now especially when snow cover gets heavy.. they seem to get bolder and closer to residences/barns.  My dog has been sniffing out their whereabouts with lots of tracks and sightings.

Maybe u shouldn't be quick to write those locations off.... yes its fenced but that's to keep out the atvs and dirt bikes.... my pb LB came outta there and wasn' that long ago.... honestly grab a spin rod some tackle ( pike/bass/pannies) and go for a walk... you'd be suprised.... pm me and I'll give u the location to walk in unimpeded by fences 

1 hour ago, Snags said:

It was long before cellphones were photo capable ... but I would pencil in a bobcat or cougar.

For the most part in Niagara the only animals you need to be aware about are the coyotes which can be pretty brave in some areas.

wow did'nt for once think you might get bobcats/cougars for hundreds of miles form here, good to know mate

1 hour ago, duck&wine said:

Lots of coyotes about right now especially when snow cover gets heavy.. they seem to get bolder and closer to residences/barns.  My dog has been sniffing out their whereabouts with lots of tracks and sightings.

bit surprised by the closeness of coyotes as well tbh, just adopted a 9 week old german sheperd cross rescue pup that flew in from kazakhstan on friday, hopefully when he's older he'll alert me to any shady predators in the area lol. 

11 minutes ago, WalleyeChaser said:

Maybe u shouldn't be quick to write those locations off.... yes its fenced but that's to keep out the atvs and dirt bikes.... my pb LB came outta there and wasn' that long ago.... honestly grab a spin rod some tackle ( pike/bass/pannies) and go for a walk... you'd be suprised.... pm me and I'll give u the location to walk in unimpeded by fences 

ah right, i presumed it was zero public access but i'll definitely give anywhere a go mate, PM on it's way, thanks.

1 minute ago, Limey said:

wow did'nt for once think you might get bobcats/cougars for hundreds of miles form here, good to know mate

There are quite a few stories over the years ... mostly unproven.

Every few years there are large cat "sightings" in the following areas of Niagara

• Niagara on the Lake
  • Along 12 mile creek (near Ridley College)
  • Grimsby Mountain
  • Throughout the farmlands south of Welland through to Lake Erie
  • Wainfleet Bog

Scat was found a few years ago, but the MNR has never confirmed that there is a live cat or two in the area.

Even so mate, good to know to keep an eye out just in case, fascinates me that you have such wild animals still just casually roaming around over here...

18 hours ago, Limey said:

Even so mate, good to know to keep an eye out just in case, fascinates me that you have such wild animals still just casually roaming around over here...

We don't have a lot of liveried aristocracy galloping about shouting "Beuuuu Halluuuu"

• 2 weeks later...
On 2018-01-31 at 2:05 PM, Snags said:

There are quite a few stories over the years ... mostly unproven.

Every few years there are large cat "sightings" in the following areas of Niagara

• Niagara on the Lake
  • Along 12 mile creek (near Ridley College)
  • Grimsby Mountain
  • Throughout the farmlands south of Welland through to Lake Erie
  • Wainfleet Bog

Scat was found a few years ago, but the MNR has never confirmed that there is a live cat or two in the area.

I saw a large black cat on Hwy 58 north of forks road right at the bottom of the bridge. I was driving south towards port it was a summer night, probably 9-10pm. The car in front of me went over forks, so I flicked my brights on, I saw something in my lane walking slowly across the road.

A couple hundred feet away I thought it was a coyote, then I got closer and realized it was walking like a cat, and a lot bigger than a regular cat. I was going 80 km/h and slowed down to 0 as I tried to process what I was looking at. It was a massive cat...one you think you aren't supposed to see in niagara.

This thing was 10 ft away from me and we just stared at each other. I reached for my phone and tried to take a picture but it was so dark that it didn't show anything. This was 5 years ago and I still keep my eyes peeled when I drive over it.

Believe me or not but I know what I saw

Archived