Otters in port D

Limey

Spent a few hours down port D today, not even a sniff of a fish, thought it might be to do with me still figuring out how to bottom bounce, maybe the colour of the water or the hight of it...

then my stepson noticed two huge otters bobbing and diving around the water, carried on trying for a while but then noticed a nice size brown? Trout floating past me that had been chewed in half.

big problems in England with them at the moment killing all the carp but I was shocked to see them down there.

is this a common occurrence or a one off lads?

They were probably beavers ....lots of them in Niagara these days .

I've heard about otters here also but haven't seen one yet . But as you said about the half eaten trout , you could be right ....

...would have been nice to get a picture of them . I'll make a note to keep my eyes out for them . The beavers used to hide under the old Lincoln Fabrics building near the falls and a couple have been killed by cars there .  This warm spell should get them out more now .

1 hour ago, smerchly said:

They were probably beavers ....lots of them in Niagara these days .

I've heard about otters here also but haven't seen one yet . But as you said about the half eaten trout , you could be right ....

...would have been nice to get a picture of them . I'll make a note to keep my eyes out for them . The beavers used to hide under the old Lincoln Fabrics building near the falls and a couple have been killed by cars there .  This warm spell should get them out more now .

Fairly certain they were otters mate, got a decent enough view with my eyes but my phone zoom isn't the best plus I had waterproofs on for the rain and I couldn't be arsed with the struggle lol

2 hours ago, Fishlivesmatter said:

Justin beaver

We dont have otters

Oh you do now mate, I along with my stepson, his mate and another guy who was fishing all saw them, I'm fairly certain between the 4 of us we would know the difference ?

We also have plenty of these little creatures in Niagara ....he/she was trying to have lunch from my minnow bucket !     :D

....as you can see ,  many years ago ....

elV9UzEjpMS6YicpagF3noR5ZNBlNjTdV0E611Zv

I wouldn't doubt it,  never used to see beaver this far south, well at least not the kind that chew trees.  See them occasionally moose hunting and they are neat to watch. Cool pic of the Mink Smerch.

Saw my first otter in Black creek off the upper Niagara. Been fishing the waters of Martindale and Jordan out of the canoe for tens of years and never saw one, but they could be there. Saw hundreds of beavers and mink. The minks are cute, the beavers have an attitude :lol:

:Gonefishing:

There river otters and we do have them..  seen em in the  niag river and seen one in the 12..... the mink is much smaller than the river otters... just cause u haven' seen em don' mean there not there... kinda like the walleye in the 12 and lake Gibson... it' easy not to believe until you see it for yourself.... but we are fisherman so we do constantly lie lol 

I may have mistaken a otter for a small (young) beaver as I have seen them at Port Dalhousie . I've heard about otters being sighted at the Welland rivers also . I have searched to web but cannot find pictures from this area . I found this article in our local paper  ...... The otter has a very broad range of travel , so it's hard to keep tabs on them . Also , very interesting how they mate and reproduce .   This is supposed to be a good time of the year to spot them .....so I'll  have my camera on me ready to "shoot" my first otter . 

https://www.niagarathisweek.com/opinion-story/7173948-there-are-seals-in-your-neighbourhood/

8 hours ago, Fishlivesmatter said:

No otters.

Coulda been minks which i guess are in the same family as otters... So close i guess.  Been fishing here for over 30 years never seen an otter lol

If they were mink they were on some fantastic steroids, not knocking you like mate but just because you haven't seen one doesn't mean they aren't there lol 

youre obviously welcome to not believe me but as I say there were 4 of us close enough to know  with what we saw ;)

47 minutes ago, Fishlivesmatter said:

Def minks

I think you're right actually mate 3-4ft long minks with the head the size of a dog, I stand corrected sir coz you're obviously an expert on the subject and that's the last I'll say on :worthy: it

I can see how a beaver could be mistaken for an otter from a distance. But if you are anywhere near it, you could easily identify one or the other based on the shape of it's head. Otters have a very defined snout and brow. Beaver faces are basically straight line from brow to nose.  Congrats on a cool nature sighting. 

Archived