Newbie setup

DNorton

Hey guys just wondering what would be a decent setup to pick up to try my hand at fly fishing. Main target would be carp. Don’t overly want to break the bank but don’t want to buy a cheapie rod if I don’t have to. Any advice would be greatly appreciated for my research before I go out and buy. Thanks! 

From one newbie to another, look into buying a fly kit. It will save headaches and $$. 

A kit will have the reel spooled with backing, fly line, and leader that match the weight of a rod. I have a 5wt which is considered universal to handle different fish sizes but it wouldnt handle a carp well so id reccommend looking into a 7wt or higher for bigger carp. 

My kit came with a carrying case, flys, rood/reel spooled, extra leader, line straightener, pouch, split shot, line cutters, pliers for $150 usd. Then i went out and bough the nail knot tool, dry fly floatant and flys that looked tastey to me. 

Would you guys be using flies only ( like a woolly bug) , or other traditional baits for carp ?  In many spots the bottom is "peeling" so I have been using one puff corn on the hook and setting it to float 1 to 3" from the bottom to keep it clean ,  by adding a shot near the hook .....has been working well .  I've seen fly fishermen take carp on those floating corn kernels also , fun watching them scrap with a 20# tank doing 50k.....?

4 minutes ago, smerchly said:

Would you guys be using flies only ( like a woolly bug) , or other traditional baits for carp ?  In many spots the bottom is "peeling" so I have been using one puff corn on the hook and setting it to float 1 to 3" from the bottom to keep it clean ,  by adding a shot near the hook .....has been working well .  I've seen fly fishermen take carp on those floating corn kernels also , fun watching them scrap with a 20# tank doing 50k.....?

That’s the other issue I’m running into I don’t overly know what I’m doing or what I’m going to be using. Figured I’d get the setup first and then go from there. 

1 hour ago, tombo said:

I would def be using at least 8wt setup for carp! BPS has a TFO (Temple fork outfitters)8-9 wt combo kit. Pretty good gear, I have 3 TFO fly rods and no problems so far.

Agree a 8 weight is ideal for carp, also take a look at a couple Fenwick combos available at Sail. I have owned a few Fenwicks and they are very nice for the $.

I do a lot of carp fishing on the fly outfit.  8 wt is good but I would make sure you get a good reel that can hold lots of backing and has a nice drag.  These fish can take off and peel line in a hurry.

pm me if you want to get some pointers and samples of flies - I think we need a little more time to let the water to warm up in Hamilton to get the fish turned on but it is awesome action once conditions are right.

19 minutes ago, Flycarp said:

I do a lot of carp fishing on the fly outfit.  8 wt is good but I would make sure you get a good reel that can hold lots of backing and has a nice drag.  These fish can take off and peel line in a hurry.

pm me if you want to get some pointers and samples of flies - I think we need a little more time to let the water to warm up in Hamilton to get the fish turned on but it is awesome action once conditions are right.

Thanks for the advice everyone! Given me some good things to start on my research! 

Flycarp I’ll defiantly take you up on that offer! 

Archived