Brantford to Caledonia Grand River

Derek0291

I’ve done Paris to brantford twice this season.  Honestly usually it’s 20+ fish day. This season 3 fish in two trips. I don’t know what’s up.  As of yesterday the water is crystal clear and low and only seen a handful of fish.  

43 minutes ago, Tyler0420 said:

I’ve done Paris to brantford twice this season.  Honestly usually it’s 20+ fish day. This season 3 fish in two trips. I don’t know what’s up.  As of yesterday the water is crystal clear and low and only seen a handful of fish.  

Thats better wading water? 

Ive done a few of the rivers/creeks off the grand and got good number but all small. 

Was hoping a little bigger water would produce bigger fish 

The outskirts of brantford to calidonia dam as far as I know is not wading water. Paris dam- cockshutt bridge in brantford is all wading waters.  Walk the river and find some deeper holes and maybe some fish lurking around.   Live crayfish/minnows were working at the brantford dam. Stay back 75 meters or whatever it is from the dam as CO’s are patrolling it now.  

The river between Paris/ Brant park is screwed right now. Those deep holes don't exist as the water is like Tyler said crystal clear and very very low. Weed growth is unreal right now completely covering the bottom. Its weed on the line every cast even with the lightest of flies. Usually do really good in that stretch, but there is very few fish around right now. Find a few you might find the motherload of them. We know this water pretty good...and we cant find them. Saw very few Kayakers, or tubers floating down river so grand river rafting is losing money with these conditions...normally lots of people rafting or canoeing but theres just so much weed growth and floating weed its pretty yukky crap to swim or float in. We were grounding out in my pontoon constantly on bottom...we need some major rain. The water is like soup.

2 hours ago, Derek0291 said:

Thanks man. Saved me time finding that out the hard way.

Find it busy around Paris? Usually do whities but everything is like 6-8 inches lately. Know there in there somewhere. 

I don’t think the grand around Paris/brantford is ever really busy.  There’s so much room to fish. I think I seen 1-2 people fishing from pairs to brantford.  The dams people might crowd but wade out and get away from them. 

• 3 weeks later...
On ‎7‎/‎15‎/‎2018 at 8:15 PM, Tyler0420 said:

I don’t think the grand around Paris/brantford is ever really busy.  There’s so much room to fish. I think I seen 1-2 people fishing from pairs to brantford.  The dams people might crowd but wade out and get away from them. 

Sorry didn't see this; thanks 

went out in the "area" last weekend and had some okay luck. definitely not much around right meow  

I've fished this stretch for years and this year its been terrible, as others have mentioned...Even the rest of the lower Grand is fishing the worst I've seen in years..What can we expect with the lowest water levels and highest water temps we've seen in along time...What concerns me is some of the reshaping of the river.Its just fishing much flatter this year...Apparently lots of winter ice has scoured the river, then throw in some extreme blow outs and you have a disaster.What I've noticed in the last few years is we've had a shortage of dinks and those 8-10 inch fish....Only time will tell when the river returns to "good" fishing conditions how the Bass population really is...

Personally I don't fish the smaller trib of this stretch...For me they are my future "steelhead nursery" which also went in to decline a few years now...

On ‎8‎/‎17‎/‎2018 at 8:47 AM, Dave said:

I've fished this stretch for years and this year its been terrible, as others have mentioned...Even the rest of the lower Grand is fishing the worst I've seen in years..What can we expect with the lowest water levels and highest water temps we've seen in along time...What concerns me is some of the reshaping of the river.Its just fishing much flatter this year...Apparently lots of winter ice has scoured the river, then throw in some extreme blow outs and you have a disaster.What I've noticed in the last few years is we've had a shortage of dinks and those 8-10 inch fish....Only time will tell when the river returns to "good" fishing conditions how the Bass population really is...

Personally I don't fish the smaller trib of this stretch...For me they are my future "steelhead nursery" which also went in to decline a few years now...

So true, exactly what you have said. The fishing has been really poor. Lets just hope it can recover from the bad winter and soup like summer temperatures have taken a toll on things. I have really noticed a huge increase in weed growth with the high summer temps. The rain the last few days has been badly needed. It might take a few years for the grand to bounce back and I did see a few good schools of baby bass so that's something to look forward too.

On ‎8‎/‎17‎/‎2018 at 8:47 AM, Dave said:

Archived