FMZ 16 regulations

kevin

Does anyone know exactly why the Niagara Region lacks any sort of an extended fall season for salmon and trout, when it seems like every other region included in FMZ 16 has one?  For years, we had an extended season here in Niagara, and it all changed several years ago when local streams went to a closing date of September 30.   Seeing as the runs of fish in south shore tribs arrive a good month later than north shore tribs, you'd think the season would go back to being extended so that people without boats (and kids) could access some of this fishing for part of the year.

All those angling dollars are being spent elsewhere during the fall, and Niagara residents are forced to travel to north shore areas to access an extended fall season for migratory fish.  

https://www.ontario.ca/page/ministry-natural-resources-and-forestry

I would ask the MNR, realistically no one on this board would have a proper answer.  Unfortunately when it comes to FMZ 16 ... it is just too large and too many tribs to go through and list a ton of exceptions.  If no one has ever asked the MNR, it could be something that would then be put onto their radar for future updates.

I'll ask the MNR.  It doesn't seem to make sense that the north shore tribs which are known to have some natural reproduction, have extended fall season fishing opportunities, while south shore tribs with limited reproduction are closed September 30.  

Many of the south shore tribs used to have extended seasons back when the15, 16, and 20 were stocked as put and take. Those tributaries are no longer stocked as they now have consistent reproduction.  These tribs also used to be gong shows in the fall and the slaughter was anything but justifiable. I, for one, was glad they ended the extended season. Just as I am glad they finally stopped allowing the spearing and netting of pike in the region.

The "slaughter" happens at any location.   There are good and bad fishing ethics at places such as Bronte, Credit, as well.  Summer flows in the 15, 16 and 20 are non existent, and the temps are through the roof.  Play around in any one of them during open seasons and you'd be lucky to find a juvenile of any trout or salmon species.  I'd be willing to bet the majority if not all of the salmon that run that creek are strays from other local stocking sites such as Dalhousie or Niagara, I can't see any species surviving those temps and flows.

Would just be nice to have a local spot to take a kid to experience a salmon run, rather than a drive to the GTA.  I don't find Dalhousie or the whirlpool to be all that kid friendly. 

I have seen trout in some of the local streams in mid-June (bass just opened) ... obviously they ran up in the spring and never made it out when the water levels dropped.

I also did see a series of trout a few years ago in one offshoot of Lake Ontario ... would have been July and in an area where there was no reason they could not leave (not trapped) ... talking to a local store, they mentioned there is a few areas that see a very small run in the summer.

These small tribs are producing young every year, be it trout or salmon. I had, in the past, posted pics of some caught while fishing pannies and some caught in my minnow net. I certainly won't publicize which streams they are.

2 hours ago, kevin said:

Above or below the first impassable barrier?  That's good news if you saw this below.  I find it surprising anything survives those temps and flows below the falls. 

I've seen them in the streams up to Hwy #8

Archived