Success for my son at the deer camp!!

Bubba14

We headed out to the hunt camp last Friday and came back late yesterday, WMU 47, west of South River. Tags were very scarce this year, our group of 9 guys were only successful in getting 2 antlerless tags. Two guys had arrived on Thursday to get the camp set up and it was good to go once my son and I arrived.

Saturday didn't look very promising as we ran 4 different chunks of bush and didn't see any really fresh sign. We "dog" the bush for deer, usually with two guys going through and the rest are watchers. 

There was fresh snow Sunday and we took full advantage. After taking a break after the morning runs we went back at it in the afternoon. At 1:20 I hear 3 well spaced shots and very shortly after my son advises that he had shot at a buck and believed he had hit it. About three minutes later there were two more shots and my son says "deer down". I finished the run and came out to my son who had a yearling doe down. He told me where the buck was when he shot at it and lo and behold, theres blood...and lots of it! Tracked for about 40 yards and there was a 7 pointer down. The first two deer he's ever shot at!

Fast forward to Tuesday, the only day I took a watcher position and on this particular run I was the next watch over from my son. Through the thick bush I see two deer about 75 yards away, and they are angling towards the next watch where my son is. As they get out of sight I wait....BOOM!!!! followed by two quick shots (which weren't necessary). The doe then circles back and stops broadside to me at about 40 yards with nothing between us but I can't shoot because I don't know if my son just filled our last antlerless tag. I walked over towards my son and immediately see a great blood trail, 30 yards later theres yearling buck down that we have to throw an antlerless tag on. The bugger has just taken the first three deer he's ever shot at!

We hunted the rest of the week and had deer moving but didn't get any shots at bucks.

Fantastic week had by all.

image.png

11 hours ago, smerchly said:

Great story Bubba , and way to go to your son !  Looks like he's been doing some target practice !   He must be grinning from ear to ear !   :D

GREAT READ!

Archived