Making the best of a bad situation.

thefrog

Due to moving into a new house I haven't been able to get out for deer this year. This past weekend I finished up all the odds and ends around the house and figured I would head out to my stand and make sure all was good for a hunt next weekend. Walked up to the tree my ladder stands was on and the stand was gone! The straps holding it to the tree are cut and laying at the base.  

After a few choice words I decided I wasn't going to let some jerk ruin my day. I went home grabbed my shotgun and went out for small game.  Ended up with two squirrels in the freezer ready for dinner next week.  Felt really good to bring home some meat but the face on my  1 1/2 year olds face when I showed him the squirrels made it all worth it.  Gonna make an outdoorsman out of him yet.  

Anyone else hunt squirrel in niagara? Thinking about hunting them into the new year since my deer season is over before it started. Also if anyone has any recommendations on a quick set up blind since leaving a stand out on private property is no longer an option.  

I shot my deer last year sitting behind a pile of brush.had a milk crate for a seat and just left enough opening to shoot through towards a corn pile .ive used a piece of camo burlap bought from canadian tire with three sticks to form a triangle blind around myself for turkeys but all depends if using a crossbow or compound to get a shot off and you must be scent free on the ground or have the wind heavily in your favour .the rest is just stealthyness!.good luck!p.s. ... Find a used deer trail and set up 30 yrds from it and place some corn nearby and hunt first two hours in daylight and last two hours youll get one .

10 hours ago, thefrog said:

Anyone else hunt squirrel in niagara? Thinking about hunting them into the new year since my deer season is over before it started. Also if anyone has any recommendations on a quick set up blind since leaving a stand out on private property is no longer an option.  

Just remember frog thatthe squirrel season ends Dec. 31.

For permanent blinds, I tried using landscape fabric fo a blind material, as was suggested on the OFAH website, but wind ripped some apart, even using the heavy fabric.  That material only works in sheltered locations.

next spring I'm going to try using snow fencing to make a blind.

for a quicky set-up blind, I just use the camo screen blind that you can buy - the ones that come w metal stakes.

only takes a minute to set up.

I was thinking of doing something along those lines with burlap and then brushing it in. At least that way if it gets destroyed or vanished for some reason it's very little money invested. It just really bothers me that people would do stuff like that. Nothing is  sacred anymore. Good tip fishingking at least if I dont get a deer I can have hopes of bagging a Turkey in the spring .

I had trail cams out last year and caught people trespassing, took them down at the end of the season. They got packed into a box before moving so I never set them up. Could be lucky. They might have gotten stolen as well. 

Thanks for the reminder genec I must have been looking at the rabbit season because that one is open until the Feb 28th. Either way still a good excuse to get out of the house after the holidays. 

The use of bows makes it easier to trespass and poach .  Society in general has being taking a dive for years , thieves are everywhere .

I have released over 100 squirrels from my traps into the woods for you . They have about the same amount of meat as a rabbit but have a nice nutty flavour...

Good luck on the deer or turkeys !  

Archived