Niagara River Water Conditions?

Outdoorz

I want to come down to fish the lower river but I'm in Kitchener and have no idea if the river's fishable after the southerly winds we had this week.

Can anyone please tell me what the water clarity is like? The NOAA site is down with the US govt shutdown so I have no way of telling cept for the kindness of fellow anglers :) Thanks!!!

Was out on the upper today.....couple feet viz..bit of stain....green......and great for steelies..surprising considering the winds over a couple days....can't catch em unless you try 

No prob...get in on some of the action....expect the ramp to be busy.....if you browse the forum there is a section for conditions on the river.....a few of us are on the river alot so reports are pretty up to date....... my forecast is....wet...cold...with a chance of steel 🐟

Thanks again! Had a good day yesterday, picked up a few drifting and backtrolling!

I liked on the forum for the conditions area... couldn't see it. Is it in the invite only Niagara/steelie section? If so I cant access that 😔

PSX_20190106_210402.jpg

Nice fish... you have to have a certain number of posts to see that thread...it just encourages participation on the site and so that it keeps down a bit the people who have no interest in contributing to nfn and just want to troll for fishing spots 

15 minutes ago, Jwl1 said:

Nice fish... you have to have a certain number of posts to see that thread...it just encourages participation on the site and so that it keeps down a bit the people who have no interest in contributing to nfn and just want to troll for fishing spots 

Need to make an exception for old timers like us JW !   :D

Very nice steely Outdoorz !   That lure looks like my go to Kwickfish K8 , close in colour to my silver/pink one that I haven't had any luck with at Port Dal. ....looks like you removed the front hook which I removed one of the three hooks on the treble . I see you are using a swivel on the lure which I have been tying a slip knot ,but need to keep the knot near the bottom of the eye or lose the action . Also like using them with a 3 way rig to keep it about a foot off bottom ....only losing the sinker periodically . 

Congrats on a good day on the River !

21 hours ago, Jwl1 said:

Thanks Jwl1! I'll work on contributing. I'd like to access those areas!

21 hours ago, smerchly said:

Need to make an exception for old timers like us JW !   :D

Very nice steely Outdoorz !   That lure looks like my go to Kwickfish K8 , close in colour to my silver/pink one that I haven't had any luck with at Port Dal. ....looks like you removed the front hook which I removed one of the three hooks on the treble . I see you are using a swivel on the lure which I have been tying a slip knot ,but need to keep the knot near the bottom of the eye or lose the action . Also like using them with a 3 way rig to keep it about a foot off bottom ....only losing the sinker periodically . 

Congrats on a good day on the River !

Hey smerchly,

Thanks! I love catching steelies, they are such beautiful fish. Looking for some big ones, but happy with anything that comes to the boat :) I remove the front hooks on my Kwikfish K9 to ensure a clean hookup and go easy on the fish. Those front trebles can tear them up sometimes. I tie to the crosslock or whatever its called that comes with the lure. No other hardware, I think that gives the best action! That Kwikfish is deadly for me. Silver with blue and pink metallic shading.

I still have a few of those old Flatfish , a few K5 & U20  ...basically the same action , but they have 4 smaller trebles (troubles) , and  those springy hook wires are a p.i.t.a. . The larger Kwikfish  like K12 work for pike with that teasing action . The Canadian Wiggler also has some semblance to the Kwikfish but is much heavier , for long casts  .

On 1/8/2019 at 9:17 PM, smerchly said:

I still have a few of those old Flatfish , a few K5 & U20  ...basically the same action , but they have 4 smaller trebles (troubles) , and  those springy hook wires are a p.i.t.a. . The larger Kwikfish  like K12 work for pike with that teasing action . The Canadian Wiggler also has some semblance to the Kwikfish but is much heavier , for long casts  .

Smerchly, Nice! Here's one that hasn't seen water... it was my grandfather's, he used these flatfish and original floating Rapalas religiously for long line trolling every evening on Lake Joseph. I'm glad to have it.

PSX_20190111_113025.jpg

Outdoorz, where did you launch and park? Im heading out Sunday for my first run. Smerchy...Many boats out there these days? Im kinda hoping that I can tweak my planed approach based on seeing others who have done it before, I to am coming from Kitchener area. Will the boat launch be free of ice at niagara on the lake you think?

13 minutes ago, FishReaper said:

Outdoorz, where did you launch and park? Im heading out Sunday for my first run. Smerchy...Many boats out there these days? Im kinda hoping that I can tweak my planed approach based on seeing others who have done it before, I to am coming from Kitchener area. Will the boat launch be free of ice at niagara on the lake you think?

Yes, I have always parked & launched at Queenston, a bit busy on a weekend but not too bad. I actually just started going across to Lewiston to launch and parking there. The ramp has an in and out with docks on both sides, 50 pull through truck/trailer spots in a proper asphalt parking lot. And they de-ice and plow all winter. Plus 2 gas stations, a Tops market, etc... no charge this time of year that I've seen.

If you want a fishing partner I'm available... 

Ramp had some ice build up this afternoon.  Two brave boats launched in this frigid cold weather.  I'd bring some sand or a shovel just in case you're going to launch this weekend with the cold temps.  Water had about 1ft vis but we had some good winds last night so we'll see how she looks for the weekend 

Well, great info and an offer... wonderful, pretty glad i joined this forum already. Lets do it, I actually have monday and Tuesday off and just hooked my boat up to the truck in anticipation of going soon, so if you wanna join me and offer up some of your experience for me to learn the area id be eager to supply the truck boat and gas 🙂... heck im available tomorrow morning lol.

Hey Nino, ty.  Yes i have shovel and salt based on info from a guelph tackle shop who prepped me for the trip with equipment and some guidance.  Only 2 boats eh? Well im hoping to get the reaper out there real soon.  Im fine with ice on ramp, id seen a scary video of ice in water and guys spent 2 hours dhipping it out to launch lol... im more hard core then some, not sure im that hardcore though

16 minutes ago, FishReaper said:

Well, great info and an offer... wonderful, pretty glad i joined this forum already. Lets do it, I actually have monday and Tuesday off and just hooked my boat up to the truck in anticipation of going soon, so if you wanna join me and offer up some of your experience for me to learn the area id be eager to supply the truck boat and gas 🙂... heck im available tomorrow morning lol.

Hey FishReaper, sounds great! Check your private messages, I just sent you my contact info. Thanks.

Archived