announcement to members

cplummer

I have decided to close this web site down. It's been a great 5 years that i have owned it. Members have lost interest on NFN ..

It will remain open untill February unless someone wants this web site..

Contact me if interested

Thanks

Cliff

• Replies 70
  • Created
  • Last Reply

And thank you for those years, Cliff.  Dunno what I'm gonna do without the wise words and reports from people like Smerch anymore.

I'm gonna miss it( unless someone takes over, of course ), but I know what you mean about lack of participation.  The other fishing boards I'm a part of are going though a similar phase.

Thank you, again.

Losing this great fishing site has been on my mind for quite a while . When one posts, one expects a few responses , not 50 hits and no response . A few of us have tried to keep it going Cliff , but I can see  90% of the "guests" are just looking for info . Much the same for other fishing sites . I met a nice couple from Germany at Port yesterday . They love to fish & were fishing the whirlpool in the morning and were asking me what baits are used here , etc. I was sure to mention the NFN to them as usual .

Would it be possible to run NFN like a private site where lurkers can't get free info ?  I spend a lot of time enjoying this site ....a lot of good guys here !  And I don't intend joining another fishing site .  I am a member of one other board (Quinte) because we fish there from the trailer park . I should have retired there 25 years ago .

I hope you will reconsider cliff ....other boards are slow as well . Anglers are in transition this time of year , waiting for the ice season to start . I counted 3 anglers fishing the harbour yesterday ....good current on the east side . ....very slow indeed.

Oh no... I will never catch any fish now...great!!...lol....it is what it is....barely reports....no interest like the old days for little derbies ect....fundraisers ect....the conservation projects many of us have worked on.....I will say that I have met some great people on here going back well over 10 years....and caught a boatload of fish along the way.....I guess the lurkers will have to troll around somewhere else to steal and ruin fishing holes now...Haha...any of you old timers I know...feel free to PM me some contact info.....there area few of you I would love to wet a line with when we have the chance....

31 minutes ago, smerchly said:

Losing this great fishing site has been on my mind for quite a while . When one posts, one expects a few responses , not 50 hits and no response . A few of us have tried to keep it going Cliff , but I can see  90% of the "guests" are just looking for info . Much the same for other fishing sites . I met a nice couple from Germany at Port yesterday . They love to fish & were fishing the whirlpool in the morning and were asking me what baits are used here , etc. I was sure to mention the NFN to them as usual .

Would it be possible to run NFN like a private site where lurkers can't get free info ?  I spend a lot of time enjoying this site ....a lot of good guys here !  And I don't intend joining another fishing site .  I am a member of one other board (Quinte) because we fish there from the trailer park . I should have retired there 25 years ago .

I hope you will reconsider cliff ....other boards are slow as well . Anglers are in transition this time of year , waiting for the ice season to start . I counted 3 anglers fishing the harbour yesterday ....good current on the east side . ....very slow indeed.

Only way i could profit is to make this site private but i would have to charge a small yearly fee to be worth keeping it going..

My good friend Martin at Grimsby tackle offered to help making a NFN facebook page so the members that have a true interest can still enjoy a quality fishing site for Niagara...

If i kept this site going i would have to make it private and charge interested parties. $20 a year to help pay costs in running it... I have met and fished with many anglers from this web site over the years..

I'm certainly glad to reacquaint with this site.....go ahead make fun of me all you want because I never catch any fish and probably never will.......smerchly had it right on a few things for sure.....and sitting at cliffs place after fishing the other day and looking back at some old...old...pics says alot for sure....some great people...great times.....NRS derbies with cliff...nfn get togethers.....contests like the "pike off".....things like Smerchmiester's ...65th bday party....my daughter remembers many of you from when she was a wee tot..... just mentioned the other day about "that guy with the big white beard....I remember he was a nice guy".....now I dont know where she ever got that idea about mr ugli?.....lol.....glad to be fishing with an old time friend like cliff once again....I know I can take alot of great memories from my time here!

11 minutes ago, cplummer said:

Only way i could profit is to make this site private but i would have to charge a small yearly fee to be worth keeping it going..

I for one would pay a reasonable fee to keep it going Cliff . There's a good group of us who visit here often & I think many would sign up . I was spending about $100 a year on fishing magazines (all gone now) ..would rather use that money here . 

12 minutes ago, smerchly said:

I for one would pay a reasonable fee to keep it going Cliff . There's a good group of us who visit here often & I think many would sign up . I was spending about $100 a year on fishing magazines (all gone now) ..would rather use that money here . 

As would I!!

There are many former popular fishing websites that are now very slow. J. Collinas being a prime one. Social media has taken over. Would people be willing to pay for this one to be worthwhile? I doubt it. Would I personally? No. I am Admin on a site that has all the Floatfishing reel builders in Ontario and US on it as well as Float builders, and many rod builders, and it is basically dead.

Sign of the times, and great in it's day, but sad to say things are moving on.

I've enjoyed being here for many years, and have contributed when I had information to share, whatever the topic.  A wise decision Cliff, in spite of the pain it brings.

That's my 2 cents.

2 hours ago, cplummer said:

My good friend Martin at Grimsby tackle offered to help making a NFN facebook page so the members that have a true interest can still enjoy a quality fishing site for Niagara...

If i kept this site going i would have to make it private and charge interested parties. $20 a year to help pay costs in running it... I have met and fished with many anglers from this web site over the years..

Damn it that's really bad news about the site. Glad there's talk about taking it to Facebook.

Since I've been back in Niagara, I've been posting more. Or at least trying to. I always just figured living in Toronto the fishing there wasn't too relevant in Niagara. I will have to admit it is a really good reference site. Even some awesome people to DM me with clarification on any questions. Super friendly and helpful people. I'll definitely be looking for the Facebook group. Sharing pictures would probably be easier on Facebook and therefore, maybe some more activity. (For some reason I couldn't figure out how to post a picture).

Very bad news i would love to see this forum keep going i have met a lot of great people from this forum rather it was fishing /hunting/or a few contest i had did on this forum .I understand but hope it does keep going

Shite now whatll i do on the crapper?well i unknowingly may have met some of the great guys on here but never met up with any of ya to fish purposely .most of my time on the water is spent with my kids and cousins and buddies so i didnt post any pics along the way but have enjoyed reading about everyones adventures and opinions and sharing my successful trips out .i just have a hard time believing that some members are just on here for info to steal other guys spots and methods but it all sounds pretty selfish (2 cents).if a person is not an idiot ,respectful to others around,not a litterbug and if fishing legally and abiding by the laws than i like nothing more than to see others being successful and having luck on the water.if i go to a spot where i caught the previous day and someone watched me catching and go back the next day and that person is there .well i guess i shoulda beat them to it .everyone has there own tricks and secrets but at the end of the day its just fishing and we all need to share the fish the waters and the passion for the sport .nice chatting with yall✌

Shame to see it go and thanks Cliff for the enjoyable few years i've been here.

I run the Stelco Fishing Club site and it's free It's https://www.proboards.com/create-free-forum

It takes a little practice but could be done and call it "NFC" Niagara Fishing Community

Click below and rome around, and I'm not a computer geek. I've left it wide open for people to see and post as guest or join.

http://stelcofishingclub.proboards.com/

Thanks Cliff met a lot of fishing friends here. If I had to pay a fee, I'd be giving  it up to.

Facebook seams to be taking over but to busy for me with all the other crap going on it.

Come on Bruce (bigugli ) there's your chance.👍:D

13 hours ago, smerchly said:

Me too!!

i like finding out what everyone else is doing in andaround Niagara, even if I don't get to go to many of those places.

i personally would hate to see it go to Facebook, because I refuse to do Facebook - don't like the lack of security on it!!

This is sad sad news . this site is were I go to have my morning coffee . before you shut the site down maybe you can take a pol to see how many members would sign up to make it a private site. I would be glad to pay a annual fee to keep the site going. td

I would pay $20 a year for this. A fee would also weed out the people who dont contribute, and make the members more likely to contribute. 

If it goes to Facebook make sure you post a link so we can all find it. 

23 minutes ago, kgm said:

I would pay $20 a year for this. A fee would also weed out the people who dont contribute, and make the members more likely to contribute. 

If it goes to Facebook make sure you post a link so we can all find it. 

For sure. I would definitely pay $20 a year fee. Seems fair to me. I did see the post about taking over the site though haha, but seeing as how I don't have the first clue (or let's be honest even the patients) to be running a website... I would be happy paying that fee come Feb seeing as how that still works out to be less than a morning coffee a day. 

Absolutely zero of my personal friends are really into fishing. Checking in on this site every so often feels like you have somewhere to go other than the local bait shop to talk to other people about fishing. I haven't been the most active member, but even having said that I would still pay a fee. Sometimes you need to know what's up, and sometimes you need to share a story, picture, or video to stroke your fishing ego.

"One" Tim coffee @ $1.50 per day = $500 per year ......plus about 3 tanks of gas @ 10 min. per day at a drive through . My cost ....zero ....make my own coffee at home ...5 cents per cup . :)    That's a lot of fishing tackle gone down the toilet .   :read:

Now....add on 300 doughnuts ....   :bb2:

...ya , so $20 per yr. is about 4 stops at Timmies . (average) .  I think we would need more than that .....

Being realistic...a number like 20 bucks a member.....there would need to be about 100 solid paid up members to cover costs associated with running...there's monthly costs... annual costs ect...not to mention the time put in to maintain a website be it owner or mods ect....I know I have been an admin before...sponsorships are down because in this day and age everyone wants everything for free...and doesn't want to work for anything......and its funny to see no fishing reports..or related banter on here...people giving back to our resources....you see a small handful of people participating.....yet when everyone hears that the site will be closing down...people start popping out of the woodwork with comments....lol...and it can't run on "I would be willing to"......everyone would honestly have to put thier money where thier mouth is ...be an asset to the site and fishing community in general to make it worthwhile in the first place .....sad to see it go yes....but to keep it alive people have to step up and work together... not sit back and wait to see if someone is going to do it for you and I doubt that many are willing to put out of thier own pocket for the benefit of anyone who isn't willing to give back 🤔🐟

Before I start getting bashed for any comments i may have just made..... i have in the past been a very active member.....sharing in many nfn get togethers...charity events...been a site admin....volunteer with the mnr in fish stocking efforts....mentorship with school kids...part of memorial fishing events...kids derbies....member derbies....among other conservation related efforts along the way.. and am a member here who has and is willing to give back to the Niagara fishing community 

Archived