Ice Fishing for Perch

FishGuy3754

So I tried the tip from this video to attract fish using a lure to bring them in with the sound and shining and it does seem to work even if you sometimes only get some dinks but it does help to bring in some bigger ones. Just wondering what tips anyone else has for bringing in perch. I usually just use minnows a lot of the time so i'm trying to branch out to using lures more cause i've seem many videos of people slaying with them. Any help is appreciated.

Take a tiny spoon like a William's....take the hook off it.....tie a leader line onto the split ring you took the hook off and use that for your minnow...... the spoon will act as your weight and also as a small mini flasher to attract the fish.... we used to kill the specs on that up north...works for the bigger perch....they think its someone else trying to beat them to your minnow

I fish 2 rods where possible. 1 rod rigged up with minnow on jig head and the other rod with blue and silver spoon. Most action happens when I’m bouncing the spoon off bottom stirring up so silt. Hopefully be doing that on Rec canal this wk end for some perch

I'm going to Rennie tomorrow , west wind , good with the high bank there . I usually pick a random spot and sometimes get hits right off , or I'll wait for the fish to come . It seems they are on the move and when they show up I might get a few more before the bite stops . and they usually return again in 15 - 30 minutes .....Yes,   2 rods on the go , one with a minnow & one for jigging Raps , etc. with a minnow head . And bouncing it off bottom periodically seems to aggravate them and hit hard . Anyone going out there tomorrow ,about 10ish, look for a small green Eskimo flip over ....  :Gonefishing:

The best rigs I find are the ones I tie myself. Two micro jigs tied on fluorocarbon with a bell sinker on the bottom. Most areas that hold perch in the winter have silty bottoms. Just bounce that sinker every once in awhile and the perch will be attracted to sight and sound.

16 hours ago, marktheperchman said:

The best rigs I find are the ones I tie myself. Two micro jigs tied on fluorocarbon with a bell sinker on the bottom. Most areas that hold perch in the winter have silty bottoms. Just bounce that sinker every once in awhile and the perch will be attracted to sight and sound.

A "bell" sinker should help "ring" them in , & the dust up from the bottom will attract them also . I gave it a try today but they were "deaf" !   Got one nice perch which flipped around on the ice for 4 hrs. then I set it in the hole to see if it would go ....took off like a rocket after a few seconds .  Saw a couple of pike caught  , one nice one by a fellow NFN guy .  B)

They have started to tear down the Legion .....looks like it will be very busy throughout the winter making parking hard to find in the area . Very cold temps on the way for over a week ,  ice should firm up in most locations .

https://www.stcatharinesstandard.ca/news-story/9142893-photos-port-dalhousie-legion-hall-coming-down/

• 2 months later...

Thanks for the tips. This year was the first year i was mainly jigging during ice fishing. I can confidently say it was one of the most productive years for me. I tried out a couple different lures like slab grabber, tear drops, soft plastics but most successful for me was on a Blue Fox Nomad. Worked whether i jigged in actively or jigged and deadstick.
Blue Fox Nomad.jpg

Archived