Screech Owls

Been cleaning wood duck nesting boxes in Fort Erie since Late August and finally finished up this weekend. In the past I've had 10% honeybees. Add yellow jackets, European hornets and an assortment of other stinging insects and the duck nesting success rate is quite low but I have my dependable boxes. This year however I have an increase in another temporary residents. Eastern screech owls are at peak levels for some reason. Perhaps because the woodpecker population is so high due to EAB I'm not sure. Something I really enjoy though is opening a nesting box and seeing a tiny owl leaning back pretending its dead. As long as I don't try to touch them they generally stay still for a few pictures and then I close up and clean on another date. My highlight this year however was finding 2 in one box. They didn't appear to be nesting. This is the second year in a row an owl has prevented me from cleaning this box. On the rare occasion I have scared one out they usually just fly 20-30 meters away to another cavity and return after I clean the box. 

https://drive.google.com/file/d/1f-5LEqmys65ahWOdyQ8u4z-OrY-Z_GJJ/view?usp=sharing

Not quite sure how to share a picture via google pictures

Picture is fine Dan ....I need to learn your posting method ......   (hint)

I know you put a lot of work and time into these projects ....good to see you are still helping the owls ,

and all the other critters that take refuge in your "homes" 

Dad

2 hours ago, smerchly said:

They took one look at Dan and passed out .....

Dan was shocked to see 2 Hooters 😍

On 3/5/2019 at 1:15 PM, Brian_b said:

Neither did I...

I've actually found a baby opossum in one of my boxes. Scared the hell out of me. I have a FB page called Fort Erie Nesting Box Program but I'm taking a break from FB right now. 

Archived