Deer shed hunting

Went for a walk yesterday to get the kids outta the house and hit up a couple of my hunting spots .got outta the truck walked to the field edge and saw a shed right away .it was a nice big 4 point probably 70 inch.continued on and another 4 point a bit smaller .then my daughter finds a small one 3 points and we walked another hour and nothin so we head back across the bean field and walk right back over our tracks and looked off to the left a bit and saw a tine stickin out .it was another 4 point.found 4 sheds in one walk thats more than ive found in the last couple years combined.makes me think the deer in that area dropped late because i know there has been people out there lookin.

We struck out today. Tried a property usually good for one or 2 and came up empty. The neighbouring property owner got cold this winter and wouldn't let us on. Another neighbour explained how bad the hunters behaved this and last winter so no wonder. We have one more to try another day and then its off to land no one knows who owns because its foreign owners who don't respond. I did however check my racks left in a tree with my stand and it seems either the squirrels or mice have destroyed them. 

Antlers fall off every year after breeding season. They then start growing new ones. Antlers are covered in felt until late summer. What purpose having them fall off and regrow is beyond me but they're fun to look for in the spring. 

They fall off because their testosterone levels plummet after breeding season.they are made of blood and bone which continue to grow while its covered in velvet .then the velvet either falls off or they scrape it off on trees and they are grown to their potential for that year .

Archived