Trouble with raccoon..!!

Gerg_Bae

I have been facing trouble with a creepy creature in my attic. I kept hearing thumping noises from the attic during night times as well as in day times. One day I went for inspection in my attic space, and I found a raccoon there. It created a real mess of things in my attic. It had chewed the wooden support beams and roofing tiles of my attic. I'm afraid of getting damage to my insulation, wiring and other components. I have heard that we can take appropriate action to humanely evict these creatures, but I'm really scared of these creatures. So I'm planning to hire a professional service for raccoon removal from Toronto to get rid of this creepy creature from my premise. I have got a few suggestions from my friends and family. However, I would like to hear from you before making a final decision. If you have any suggestions and opinions, please let me know. Any help would be highly appreciated.  

Years ago a friend of mine had the same problem. A racoon took up residence in his attic and totally destroyed it. You could smell racoon urine throughout the house, the insulation was soaked with it. He had let this go on for far too long. I got on the stepladder, poked my head, light and .22 rifle through the hatch, shot it once in the head and the problem was over except for cleaning up and sealing the access hole (it came down the chimney a couple of feet then knocked a few bricks out into the attic. I realize this might not be the solution for everyone, it probably wasn't legal but what are you going to do. Another guy I know paid over $700 to have a professional exterminator trap one in his attic and it took several weeks. My solution was permanent and it cost about a nickel.

Cheapest way is to use a coon trap . Learn how to use it , bait it was raw fish .,,,,release it at a creek or in a bush lot .  You can call the humane society who will give you names of people to call who will get the critter out of your attic......sooner the better , before it does damage to your wiring , etc. 

....well , not as cheap as a 22 bullet , but I wouldn't chance that .......   lol

We just set a trap at my archery club to catch and evict one and it only took a couple days. Then sealed up the hole and done. I have caught them before but don't have access to a trap right now or I would offer. My brother got rid of one by playing a boombox in his attic very loud.

Verado's solution would probably be the most adventurous one, but a  trap would be the safest bet either placed in the attic or by the entry point or along its  path. Once you catch it make sure there aren't any more in there and then seal it up really well. Unfortunately you will most likely have a huge pile of coon crap and soiled insulation to clean out.

If you don't do it soon you might have a litter of kits to contend with. I had a pet racoon when I was a kid, a kit that I found after taking care of a nuisance racoon at a friends farm. And if you ever get the chance to have a pet racoon never put a cheesy in your pocket to see if it can pull it out! I learned the hard way and my dad is still laughing about it 35 years later!

Another tip for pest control if dispatching a skunk always do from a safe distance! Especially if your going to a house party that night. Tough enough to get laid in high school without smelling like a skunk! 

If you just want to drive it out A wildlife guy told this once.

Take a rag and soak it in ammonia, put it in a can and set it in the attic. The smell will drive them out. Also they like dark places so leaving a light on up there will also help.

Once they are out you need to find where they are getting in and block it up.

One took up residence in my attic a few years back. Ripped a hole right through my roof and caused a hell of a mess.

I had success with a live trap and smelt for bait.

I released him up at Gibson lake.

Pound for pound though, squirrels are much worse.

I have trapped over a hundred squirrels in the last 3 years .....apple tree -----GONE .....very few now . 

Yes ....smelts smell good to the coons ....even fish guts will work . I'm not sure but the human society rents live traps ? 

Archived