Africa

verado

Depends on my wife. Might be wrapped around my neck instead. I've got three other animals to download but I am having difficulty doing so. Keeps telling me they are too large to enter but they are the same as this one.

My Package included a Blesbuck (shown) a Gemsbuck, Impala and a Kudo. I got all four and I will post the other pictures when I can.

The meat all goes to the villagers but we did eat a variety of it at every meal. Impala stew, sable roasts, etc. They really know how to prepare it and it was delicious. It really is a hunter's paradise. I probably saw 2-3 hundred animals in the bush every day. Everything from Zebras, Giraffes and Ostriches to Baboons and Monkeys. So unlike hunting in our Northern Forests. It was hard to wrap my head around hunting in 80 plus degree weather but it certainly was the trip of a lifetime.

This started out as a horseback hunt for elk in Colorado but the prices were so atrocious that just for the hell of it we took a look at Africa instead and we were pleasantly surprised. The total cost including flights and the four animal plains game package was around 7 grand. All meals, drinks included and the service was spectacular. I spent 12 hours a day in the bush with my professional hunter and tracker and they could not do enough for you to ensure a successful hunt. My largest animal was the kudo and I am still trying to post the pictures. In regard to the bow, fish king the ph told me the largest Kudo he ever saw was taken where I shot mine by a bow hunter from Idaho a couple of years ago. 

Nice pic...must have been a trip of a lifetime....also must be freaky being on the hunt and never knowing what could be hunting you....great to also hear that the meat goes to great use and back to the locals.....lots of food on the table.....and you get your trophy.....there's stomach controversy all the time in the media about rich people and their canned hunts on the edge of a sanctuary...its refreshing to hear about a good adventure..

We booked through an agency called Hunt Nation with a very helpful rep right here in Toronto. However, the lodge told us if we ever come back to book directly through them which I am sure would be cheaper. I have all the names and information. Another thing they told us was never feel guilty about coming there to hunt their animals. They said without the legitimate hunters paying the huge rates we do, animals such as elephant, rhino, lions and leopard might possibly have been extinct years ago. My kudo for example was worth $2500, an elephant is $100,000. The bulk of this money goes to the game dept. to fight the never ending problem of poaching. The poachers are offered up to two million dollars for rhino horns, lion bones, leopard paws etc. They sneak in at night, machine gun these animals, lop of the horn then radio for a helicopter to pick them up. It's almost impossible to fight but our hunting fees go to constant armed patrols and 24 hour controlled access. The game in Africa is highly managed and a renewable resource. When an anti-hunter contributes this amount of money towards the game dept., then they can talk to me.

That poaching bit is sickening virado,  I wasn't aware the villagers got the meat either,  I personally don't agree with it but feeding the village makes me feel a bit better lol, horses for courses and all that eh. 👍

Thank you, your comments are appreciated. Not everyone agrees with hunting and everyone is entitled to their own opinion, but it is refreshing to have someone see both sides of the coin.

29 minutes ago, verado said:

"both sides of the coin."

We live in a world with some people who see the coin with both sides the same ......from peta to poachers  , from vegans to cannibals . I'll take the middle ground and eat meat & potatoes ....and ice cream ! 

I have done my share of hunting , from  ducks to moose over many years . ....nothing like having a moose burger , prime rib of goose or fillet of walleye !  We are lucky we have such a variety of food instead of eating grass .

Congrats on your hunt verado , and it's great to see the way it works in Africa .

You know I was always annoyed seeing trophy hunting posts, that being said I guess I should have looked into it further. The fact that you say the money you pay goes to keeping the poachers out and the meat is not wasted as well as it being a renewable resource it’s kinda neat and I suppose good for everyone involved ? 

Thanks for the post and the education changed my mind on “trophy” hunting. Congrats on a successful trip! Can’t wait to see the other photos. 

Off on a bit of a tangent and I'm not 100% sure it's true but I read yesterday Kenya is thinking of introducing the death penalty for illegal poachers regardless of their nationality,  be nice if it's correct. 

18 minutes ago, Limey said:

Off on a bit of a tangent and I'm not 100% sure it's true but I read yesterday Kenya is thinking of introducing the death penalty for illegal poachers regardless of their nationality,  be nice if it's correct. 

I read something about this Limey .....  The poachers would shoot authorities as well in some locations & "shoot the poachers on site"  ....don't know if that's true or just some wishful thinking among many who support it. It's a deadly game the poachers play  , much of it caused by super rich people who will pay huge bucks for a rino horn , etc. 

Guys I would love to post the other pictures but it is not letting me. The pictures were all taken with an I-pad. The first one I posted no problem but the with the others it tells me they exceed the size limit and won't allow it. I don't understand since all the pictures are the same size and of the same format. Any suggestions would be appreciated. Also, on another note, the animals I took were not considered trophy animals, just run of the mill African plains game. Unlike North American game, the antlers do not fall off every year but continue growing. Just another quirk in African hunting, my package included trying to get a shot at a Kudo with up to 55" horns. The one I managed to get on the advice of my professional hunter, had 54" horns. He glasses each animal very carefully before giving the okay to shoot. If my animal would have exceeded 55" then it would be considered a trophy and I would have been charged $185.00 U.S. for every inch over 55. If I did not get the opportunity for a reasonable shot, I would have been refunded $2500.00. As it was, the animal I harvested was 275 meters away and he told me only take it if I felt I could make the shot. If I miss or wound it and can't find it, it's considered taken. All the range time paid off as it dropped in it's tracks.

7 hours ago, verado said:

Guys I would love to post the other pictures but it is not letting me. The pictures were all taken with an I-pad. The first one I posted no problem but the with the others it tells me they exceed the size limit and won't allow it. I don't understand since all the pictures are the same size and of the same format. Any suggestions would be appreciated. Also, on another note, the animals I took were not considered trophy animals, just run of the mill African plains game. Unlike North American game, the antlers do not fall off every year but continue growing. Just another quirk in African hunting, my package included trying to get a shot at a Kudo with up to 55" horns. The one I managed to get on the advice of my professional hunter, had 54" horns. He glasses each animal very carefully before giving the okay to shoot. If my animal would have exceeded 55" then it would be considered a trophy and I would have been charged $185.00 U.S. for every inch over 55. If I did not get the opportunity for a reasonable shot, I would have been refunded $2500.00. As it was, the animal I harvested was 275 meters away and he told me only take it if I felt I could make the shot. If I miss or wound it and can't find it, it's considered taken. All the range time paid off as it dropped in it's tracks.

Check your pm’s

Archived