Africa

verado

Wow great pics...and also a great educational post in regards to the ethics involved in a reputable hunt...what is considered a trophy... and how it is also helping the local community....there's enough " bad press".. refreshing to see the positive side

I was wondering when someone would pick up on the rifle. You can import a firearm into Africa fairly easily. It's best if you get a service in Africa to look after all the details. There is a charge for this but they meet you at the airport, pick up your firearm, take it for the necessary documentation checks then personally deliver it to your hunting camp. The same when you are leaving. They do have some different laws. You can bring any shotgun, rifle or handgun but no semi-autos and no 2 guns of the same calibre. Their prime concern is that everything you brought into the country, leaves with you. You also should only bring a rifle if you are flying direct to South Africa, hence departing from New York or Atlanta. If you leave from say Toronto and have to transfer in London, Paris or Amsterdam, they tell me your firearm will probably never arrive in time for your hunt or possibly at all. A friend of mine who has been a couple of times, discovered just before leaving that on the return flight the U.S. would not allow you to import a riflescope of greater than 9 power. Since his was a 10X he was scrambling to buy a new scope and get it mounted as he was leaving. One of my rifles would have been ideal, a Seiko .300 Win Mag with 3-10X Zeiss scope but for this reason I decided not to chance it. We elected instead to rent rifles from the professional hunters. I was very nervous about this because the most important piece of equipment for this hunt I was leaving to chance. I need not of worried because like everything else the rifles were top quality. I used a Weatherby rifle in 30:06 with a Nikon 3-12X scope. It was sighted to hit 2 inches high at about 140 yards and was dead on. Ammunition is at a premium there. A box of ordinary 30:06 sells for $100 US. We both used handloads made by our PH's. The rifles did have silencers on them. A very strange experience, almost silent but absolutely no question as to whether you made the hit or not. A very loud thunk when the bullet strikes meat. Silencers are legal in Africa but if they find you with one and are not a licensed professional hunter, you are suspected of poaching. The silencers are used because the PH's hunt year round and with all the shooting they do it protects their hearing. They also say it keeps the game calmer. In the end I was charged $25 per day for the rifle and 8 shots including 3 sight-in shots at $4 each. I do not know if this is the area that Wild TV is filmed. I heard no mention of it.

I was a bit surprised as well. My partner used a .300 win mag but the 30:06 was more than ample for this type of game. Because of the ranges involved on the plains, a .270 is also very popular. My professional hunter always had a .375 at reach. We saw cape buffalo many times and there was always the possibility of lions.

Thanks for all the great info verado!.hopefully il need to read all that again one day to answer any questions.300 winmag is my go to for moose .but i also have a 30 06 and ya at close ranges it packs a punch to takem down with a well placed shot .congrats again!

Thanks for all the great comments guys. It was good to hear from you and especially nice to hear the comments from people who are not proponents of hunting. If in the future, any of you might be considering a trip like this, I would be more than happy to send you all the literature and contacts I have. Now it's time to bring the boat home and focus on the perch.

Archived