Boat Carpet

smerchly

Just took the winter tarps off the boat & vacuumed  the carpet (rug) . Why do they use this for floors that are wood ? The carpets hold water & moister and hastens the demise of the wood floor . It's a tedious job replacing the wood floor . My floor has a soft spot from live well spillage . I'll rip out the carpet and replace with non slip vinyl . My neighbour did that and loves it.....cleaning fish slime is a breeze . I can easily fit a piece of new wood under the floor ,then a piece exactly the same size as the square hole I cut.  Boat will have a new permanent home at Quinte this May.

18 minutes ago, fredfisher said:

They put carpet in bathrooms years ago too....baaaaad idea 🚽

For true  !   Many homes now have no wall to wall carpets but have snap-click flooring . When I bought my house in 81 the kitchen-dining room -hallway  had ugly green carpet .....now all snap & click -vinyl with a few mats for the doggie .  Can't imagine a shag in the bathroom   !

53 minutes ago, smerchly said:

For true  !   Many homes now have no wall to wall carpets but have snap-click flooring . When I bought my house in 81 the kitchen-dining room -hallway  had ugly green carpet .....now all snap & click -vinyl with a few mats for the doggie .  Can't imagine a shag in the bathroom   !

Vinyl is the way to go on the boat for sure! Carpet is a pita all around.....but I'd never turn down a "Shag" in the bathroom!😜

1 hour ago, Bubba14 said:

The used boat I bought last year has vinyl and yes, it sure is nice!!

A friend told me his vinyl can get hot on the bare feet when in the sun when they swim from the boat . I have a full top and always wear shoes ....a treble between the toes is not my forte .   Don't know much about installing vinyl  in a boat but I did my bathroom by making an exact form using heavy paper & tracing it to the vinyl  .

3 hours ago, Surf and Turf said:

Vinyl is the way to go on the boat for sure! Carpet is a pita all around.....but I'd never turn down a "Shag" in the bathroom!😜

Shag on bro !!    :clapping:

Boat builders stopped using carpet years ago for exactly this reason. The only place you see it now is on some raised casting decks.

Just make sure you get vinyl that's made specifically for exterior use. Otherwise it gets way too hot and gives off a horrible smell for a week so after the first time it sits out in 30C sunshine.

Archived