Turkey hunting!!

Bubba14

Anybody else getting amped up for the season?  I walked a couple of the properties I have permission to hunt on yesterday and the sign was very promising. Lots of deer tracks and unfortunately many coyote tracks too. 

Looked at the security camera footage from the cottage in Port Carling yesterday and there were about 12 turkeys standing in my driveway. Going to get the boat on Tuesday. Maybe they'll still be hanging around.

Yup ready to go ! Been drivin the family nuts with the mouth call last couple days. Only have two mature toms that ive seen at my spot but also a few jakes and hens .hopefully the ticks arent on the move to much .they drove me outta the bush on opening day last year .good luck out there fellas!

Yep just have to pick up my tag.Seen tom and hen tracks in my hunting spots put out my trail cam to see if i get them on cam GOOD LUCK AND HAVE FUN BUT MOST IMPORTANT BE SAFE LETS SEE SOME PICS THIS YEAR

Went and set up my blind yesterday.  Then went for a walk in the woods. When we cam back out onto the field we saw 2 turkeys run across the field about 30 yards infront of my blind. Looks promising.   Good luck everyone!

Went out last Sunday and set up 4 blinds around the bean fields on the family farm.  

Glad I went when I did because all the rain makes the bean fields a muddy mess to walk through.

hope there is some break in the rain before the opener - rain forecast every day until next Sunday.

Fishingking, you gotta get some Ultrashield from TSC to spray your clothes with - been using it for 3 years now, and not one tick on us during either turkey or deer season!

You guys said it well...not a hunter myself but I sure love cooking up some fresh game when given the chance....mmmm meat pics.......love hearing the stories behind a successful mission

I may have to look into some of that Ultrashield. I haven't found the ticks too bad the last couple of years and I'm out in the fields and bush for work as well as while hunting. There was one property I hunted a few years back, only lasted about 45 minutes. You could see the ticks literally hunting you!! I should have counted how many I picked off myself that day AFTER getting out of the bush, would have been well over 50 for sure.

1 hour ago, Bubba14 said:

I may have to look into some of that Ultrashield. I haven't found the ticks too bad the last couple of years and I'm out in the fields and bush for work as well as while hunting. There was one property I hunted a few years back, only lasted about 45 minutes. You could see the ticks literally hunting you!! I should have counted how many I picked off myself that day AFTER getting out of the bush, would have been well over 50 for sure.

Had the same thing happened to me and a butty toms were talking to us on the roost we got set up half an hour later my buddy came walking to me and said lets get out of here the bush just came alive with ticks got back to the truck and striped down to the underwear picked all the ticks off us and there was a lot of them so many we drove home in our underwear glad we didn't get stopped by the cops try to explain this to the cop lol even when we thought we had them off of us i was still finding them in the truck days after i'm getting itchy just righting this lol.

Ticks would really put a damper on my hunting ... it's bad enough I gave up some fishing spots because of the ticks . I get concerned (freaked out) if I think the got into my vehicle . Maybe those old skitter smoke coils would kill them .

Gunner ...lol .... if your going to peel off the duds put them in a plastic bag & wash them at the laundry mat !  

Ya it gets to ya real quick after you feel one you get itchy all over and everything feels like another ! I hunt with my daughter and she ended up with one in her head after opening day last year .we sat down before first light and i felt one right away and knew it wasnt gonna be a long hunt .i heard a couple gobbles and called for a half hour and i once i saw some birds enter the open field i noticed they were already with a couple hens walking further away from us i said were outta here.and like bubba and gunner mentioned we were covered .pulled 9 off my skin and countless from my clothes and same with my daughter except we missed one somehow in her hair and two days later she felt it stuck in her .ive had a conversation with a fellow hunter with lyme disease a couple years back that was having treatments in the states that were costly and that lyme makes you feel real sh!++y .i love turkey hunting too much to give it up but im pretty sketched out by them.il try anything to keep them away!

35 minutes ago, smerchly said:

Ticks would really put a damper on my hunting ... it's bad enough I gave up some fishing spots because of the ticks . I get concerned (freaked out) if I think the got into my vehicle . Maybe those old skitter smoke coils would kill them .

Gunner ...lol .... if your going to peel off the duds put them in a plastic bag & wash them at the laundry mat !  

We didn't have a bag to put the cloths in we left them in the truck box the ticks in the truck must have been on us still the bush im hunting now i have not had a tick on me yet but i'm sure that time will soon come i'm going to try genec's idea i look forward to turkey hunting and just cant seem to let them little creepers keep me out of the bush

When I hunted pheasants & rabbits during the 50's & 60's we never heard about ticks , turkeys or possum . Also had no invasive fish , etc. in these parts .  I think as we started buying more food from the U.S. and from overseas ....Europe , China ,India , etc. we are now paying a very big price in many ways .  I don't know how you find them in dogs with lots of fur . Some day , hopefully we will have a shot for lyme .

....One time while fishing at Jordan harbour , I sprayed my clothes , hat & shoes & headed to the water ....checked my clothes out and no ticks ....a while later I knocked my cap off & spotted a tick inside ....must have came through the little tab hole at the back  . They are getting bad so we should do a double check  each trip !  I had one fall ...or jump from a huge maple tree in my own back yard 2 years ago . ...probably came from a bird or squirrel  !    The 12 mile creek has been noted as a badly infested tick area & it's only 1 mile from here .

Was looking forward to getting out but all this talk of ticks has got me creeped out! Lol! I've been using Ultra Shield the last couple of years too and knock on wood it seems to have kept the ticks at bay, but maybe the turkeys too. I'm sure it has nothing to do with my calling skills!

1 hour ago, Surf and Turf said:

seems to have kept the ticks at bay, but maybe the turkeys too.

It says right on the bottle ......  Side Affects ..... "may cause turkeys to disappear "   🦃

Most of the sprays have such a strong odour ... like contact cement .   A combo sunscreen /bug spray would be nice .

3 hours ago, Surf and Turf said:

Was looking forward to getting out but all this talk of ticks has got me creeped out! Lol! I've been using Ultra Shield the last couple of years too and knock on wood it seems to have kept the ticks at bay, but maybe the turkeys too. I'm sure it has nothing to do with my calling skills!

I don't know Surf and Turf turkeys cant smell LOL just kidding . I hope it does work i will be trying it this year now just have to work on them Mosquito's 

Ticks have many predators  ....  birds , animals (like possum) and other insects . Not much meat on them ,but we  eat sunflower seeds   ^_^

I googled up "tick preds" and found  the praying mantis can eat plenty of ticks . The mantis is another one of natures wonders that were plentiful in Niagara years ago . ....a true farmers friend . But I suspect the insecticides killed them off when treating the farms.....

If we could get their populations to increase and release them by the thousands in tick plagued spots (like the 12 Mile) we might be able to get rid of the ticks . That would also benefit our wildlife like deer , yotes , etc. 

When you guys clean up your turkeys , any probs.with ticks jumping ship ?

http://sayhellospot.com/rid-your-yard-ses-do-the-job

I love the praying mantis the are without a doubt in my opinion a very cool insect if they can free thousands of lady bugs the should do the same with the mantis i haven't seen ticks on a turkey yet but when i am mounting deer heads in the fall i have to freeze them for 2 weeks to kill the deer ticks the last 2 falls have been the worst so guys watch your self when skinning out your deer i have killed a lot of deer ticks that come off the deer cape

During my hunting /mounting days we only talked about lice on game birds . A stay in the freezer would kill them  . 

In the north bush country the black flies & mosquito's drove us nuts , but the ticks are much more a concern ...a "tick-ing time bomb !

From what I have read, the ticks have slowly moved north mostly because warmer winters have seen a northern movement of the whitefooted mouse. They brought the ticks north and once they are established I don't think they are ever going away. Spraying your clothes with a product that has permethrone in it will help a lot, but do not put it on your skin. I would be quite happy if I never saw a tick again, but unfortunately if you spend time in the outdoors you will see lots of them.

Archived