Cat fish?

GREYHAWK

Shore , boat fishing ?   The cats should be biting at Jordan now  , I usually see guys fishing at the conservation park from shore at this time . Some are just using corn & catch the brown bullheads but the large channel cats should soon be looking for  a  treat as well .

This is a great time of year to search the grand for big cats....and the smaller ones make for some good eats out of the cold water

2 hours ago, WalleyeChaser said:

Grands already peaked IMO get there fast I give it a week before it slows down.. still catch but the bigguns will be less frequent

I don’t wanna hear that. Maybe I’ll get out Thursday night. 

I watched a few videos about  Grand River fishing for cats yesterday ...some good info .  Lots of double headers with Italo & Steve , using sucker meat ,  and Pete Bowman & Steve on the Grand. Another vid with a guy on shore at the spillway landing a nice cat ....looked like sucker bait as well . I would try a worm harness or try a large lead head with a worm drifting & bouncing bottom .

You are Bang on Bill. The main bait is sucker pieces. Slow trolling harnesses or believe it or not we get good numbers trolling big o’s. With all this rain the water is less than 1” of visibility so nothing beats a piece of oily sucker meat that leaves a scent trail. We sprayed one piece with Gulp minnow spray but it produced the same as just straight sucker. When the water warms to 50F I start trolling for the active bigger fish.

8 hours ago, Tyler0420 said:

I havent had much luck using sucker meat for some reason.  Better results with raw shrimp. 

I've used shrimp & worms for channel cats in the 12 Mile for years . ....1 oz.+ egg sinker  in the current .

Good old fashioned pieces of worm on a slip sinker.....not much need to get fancy for the cats beyond a stiff back bone pole and a good drag on your reel...lol...and for those who question if you can get the big ones from shore.....go have a look at how many people in boats stick themselves in the mud and fish....lol...just dont leave your rod unattended for too long.....leave the bail open...you never know when a 20lber will do a drive by...Haha

Yep JW .... I was using that rig yesterday . We were after carp using nice fresh corn but they were not interested ....I changed bait & put a worm on the hook to target the cats .....low & behold , a nice carp slammed the worm ....go figure !  The carp put out a good scrap  which surprised me . We got a few bullheads on the worms  but it was a slow day ....water vis . about 1 cm.  Looks like lots of rain on the way , water vis. will take another hit.

Archived