Carp supplies

Tyler0420

I think I’m moving to the river for carp now.  There’s a nice calm section up above the dam that I’m going to feed for a few days. Fished it for a half hour today when I had a couple minutes to fish, no luck but I know there’s fish up there.  

• Replies 84
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I use a telescoping rod holder with the threaded top which can adapt the alarm . I reinforced the top part of the holder with a plastic rod from venetian blinds to keep it from buckling when extended . I left one behind once so I got some pretty red & white duct tape on it now ( age thing)

... It will fit inside my backpack when I have to carry the net , and chair , etc. Some spots are all rock & I can find a "hole" to jam the holder in & use the alarm .

I made my own shore rod holders outta 2 inch abs pipe and a piece of rebar about 2ft long attached with 3 zip ties ( bigger ).they work fine but gotta check the length of the butt so they fit nice and easy to get out .

2 minutes ago, fishingking said:

I made my own shore rod holders outta 2 inch abs pipe and a piece of rebar about 2ft long attached with 3 zip ties ( bigger ).they work fine but gotta check the length of the butt so they fit nice and easy to get out .

I also made one for spots where I want the tip of the 12' rod to be high off the water ....like a sandy beach or spots at Gib where there's a drop off 20 ft.or more . In some spots those short spring coils will work too ...

On 6/1/2019 at 5:45 PM, DNorton said:

Speaking of supplies, what does everyone use for rod support? I use a fairly cheap bank stick but I’m thinking of investing in a rod pod. Worth the money ? Or is a bank stick fine ? 

I use an old school Fox carp pod I bought maybe about 12 years ago when I first started carping.  It's nice, light and adaptable and holds two rods, which is perfect when a fishing buddy tags along.  By today's standards, it's a bit dated.  I think it was created in a time when carp anglers wanted their rods horizontal or pointed downwards, sometimes with the rod tip in the water. 

Years ago, I recall seeing carp pods that looked like 'rocket launchers' in the magazines.  What the heck is that!???  And now, I see them being used by some pretty good carpers around the harbour here and I can truly see the benefit.  There are times you want less of your line in the water, like in river current situations, so your rod needs to be higher and more vertical.  Also, maybe you need your line to be higher over an obstruction on the bank or in the water. 

Anyhoo, I plan on learning more about them, myself.  Having said all that, I've caught carp resting my rod on a 'y' shaped twig!  

Three times I have had a carp hit my bait before I had to chance to set the rod down !  They must have been on a feeding frenzy , or starving !!

Think I'll give it a go tomorrow ....have some "left over" frozen bait & oats to unload .

Still hoping to hit the 20# barrier !     🐳     :Gonefishing:

I wish I had as much free time to fish as you gents. Unfortunately I’m going to have to wait until Friday to get out. Probably going to hit lake O in search of the 20# as Well! Good luck gents!

• 2 weeks later...

Just received my rod pod yesterday and going to get some alarms this week. Looking forward to using it and not having to use my tackle bag to lean my rod against.  Next on the list is a bimmy so I can stay out all weekend rain or shine. 

So many supplies I need now as I’m planning on competing in the Canada carp cup next year.  3days at long sault would be a carpers dream.  

Smerch I’ll be looking for a partner 😉.

4 hours ago, Mike Pike said:

That's great Tyler.  Then next year we'll be seeing YOU on and episode of the Fishin' Canada Show( oh, and Smerch! ).

You're all set to go now Tyler !   Mike....I don't know if I can handle the accolades , envy and Izumism .....

I gave the carp a go from a nice quiet shady spot 100 ' from the dock today ....got 20 minutes in until a guy launched a small tinner from the ramp 150' away ,

then proceeded towards me while trying to start the old motor ....right over my line !  I baited the spot with some premium Del Monte corn and stayed , until he came back from a run 20 minutes later and came right back to ME instead of the ramp 150' to my right !!!  :wacko::huh::(:angry::angry2:.  Should have brought some carp gear , especially my sling shot...lots of nice stones on the shore .....  :pardon:     ...and some of my corn puffs !! 

Will try again ....I know there's carp here in those weeds .....:Gonefishing:

That sounds pretty fun Tyler....and always trying to beat a personal best is a good fun challenge....works cutting into my fishin time too much..lol...off to the kawarthas this weekend though

43 minutes ago, DNorton said:

That’s really cool Tyler your going to fish the carp cup. I saw it all over fb and was wondering how I could get in on the carp cup ! Goodluck! 

Ya I don’t know too much about it. I’ve been looking into it though and I fished with guys that fished it this year on the weekend. It’s around $700 per 2 man team and on the st Lawrence river. You need all the carp equipment also. Nets,landing mats etc.  Facebook is definitely the place to look into it.  

Tried my rod pod out last night. It’s decent.  Kinda cheap though. I guess that’s what you get when you buy from amazon. 

Caught one carp a bit bigger then usual last night and another one a bit smaller. 

FA7C2180-1086-450E-B04F-8AD6FD826B2E.jpeg

WTG Tyler.  I would have killed for either of your fish yesterday.  I went out in the morning to a shallow harbour spot, with fish bubbling all around and everything looking reeeeally carpy.  Unfortunately, nothing but line bumps and a few beeps on the indicator but not a single hook up.   

1 hour ago, Mike Pike said:

WTG Tyler.  I would have killed for either of your fish yesterday.  I went out in the morning to a shallow harbour spot, with fish bubbling all around and everything looking reeeeally carpy.  Unfortunately, nothing but line bumps and a few beeps on the indicator but not a single hook up.   

Keep at it and you’ll get rewarded.  

Nice going Tyler..... glad to see your pod is helping to catch them .  I tried again yesterday but not a carp to be had or even a bump . While tossing a husky jerk from the end of the dock this morning , a carp surfaced 10' from me ....took one look at me and beat it !  They are here but ......

I'm still not sure about the bottom ....hoping my hair rig bait is visible . When I added 2 of those foam roe bag beads the corn  did float up an inch at the shore test .( a puff would prob.work better).  Will give it another go ....tweak my rig a tad....going mad .....:crazy:

• 2 weeks later...

Anyone wanna split on 15kg of shimano-tribal-tx1-15mm-boilies? Buy two 5kg bags get one free. I was buying 1kg for 18-20$ a maybe $15 if you find them on sale. Buying this it would be $10kg.  Got some really good reviews on them and seen them produce fish often and I need to restock anyways.  Would be $145 for the 3 bags including shipping so 75$ each. You can order other stuff also save on  the shipping later.   I’d be ordering from carpkit.com

Those carp must like you ,   feeding them caviar boilies .....I bought a bag of corn puffs 3 yrs.ago for 3 bucks....still have 1/2 left .....a 5 year dinner plan..  and I buy oats from Bulk Barn for 99 cents or less per lb. to go with my Dollar Store can corn .  🐦🐦  cheap cheap  🐦🐦  :)

You are now fully equipped Tyler .....I'll be waiting to see that 30 pounder  soon !   Good Fishing  !    :Gonefishing:

1 hour ago, smerchly said:

Those carp must like you ,   feeding them caviar boilies .....I bought a bag of corn puffs 3 yrs.ago for 3 bucks....still have 1/2 left .....a 5 year dinner plan..  and I buy oats from Bulk Barn for 99 cents or less per lb. to go with my Dollar Store can corn .  🐦🐦  cheap cheap  🐦🐦  :)

You are now fully equipped Tyler .....I'll be waiting to see that 30 pounder  soon !   Good Fishing  !    :Gonefishing:

I’m waiting to see one to smerch. I’m definitely on the hunt for one. I’d take one over 20 for now.  

Archived