Nighttime Froggin'

steellee

Managed to get out 2x the past IMG_20170810_2358276.jpgweek for some night largie topwater action. Bass forum 20190719_203428-EFFECTS.jpgseems pretty slow so figured I'd add something to get it going. Fishing some super thick wetlands where you need to be fast or your hung up in 50 pounds of pads and slop. Probably about 20% blowup to land ratio but the violent strikes are the funnest part and its still one of my favourite ways to catch mid summer bass. SPRO frog in black seemed to get the most bites, best ratio and best cast distance for me. All brands and colors seem to get bit though

20190719_212313.jpg

20190710_002653.jpg

20190719_201640.jpg

20180831_003244.jpg

IMG_20170810_0030151.jpg

IMG_20170704_2329484.jpg

Always fun watching the boil....and they yanking your line too fast away from the fish...Haha....top water bass fishing is a blast.... nice fish

16 hours ago, Jwl1 said:

Always fun watching the boil....and they yanking your line too fast away from the fish...Haha....top water bass fishing is a blast.... nice fish

Lol, so true. I have missed so many bass in my life fishing top water. Top water pike is great though, they always hammer it.  Always get a good hook up with pike on top water. 

11 minutes ago, kgm said:

Lol, so true. I have missed so many bass in my life fishing top water. Top water pike is great though, they always hammer it.  Always get a good hook up with pike on top water. 

Last night about 9 pm I was tossing my floating husky jerk "near' the weed beds . One cast went astray and landed well into a thick mass of surface weeds .....it must have landed  within an inch of a largemouth waiting for a meal  !! I thought I was tangled in the heavy weeds , until it did a jump ....what a surprise !!....not a big one but a challenge to get it landed on the dock .....yep ...they hammer it !!  

....then ,,,,out came the skitters  like a black cloud between my ears  !!!  

Ya missed hits is the name of the game for frogs. I found the first night starting around midnight I only really have my ears to hear the hits and react. Terrible hookup ratio... Full moon is my favourite for topwater as you get that extra reflection to see the boils in. Next night went an hour before dark as I wanted to see where some of the open pockets were and my hookup ratio was fine. Think like 4/5 in that hour... Also helps to trim the skirts on your frogs and give the hooks a slight bend away from the body. I do much prefer a hard topwater bait like rapala skitterpop but in this dense of a spot weedless frogs are your only option. Should be even better this week now the nights have cooled slightly. Still waiting for a true hog out of here this year. Most years I get some well over 5#. 

• 2 weeks later...
13 hours ago, jay33 said:

Have you tried the Lunkerhunt frogs?

Yup. I like the smaller jr.  ones. Also the popping frog from them. Some of my biggest bass came from the Lunkerfrog jr. Something different as they have legs instead of skirts. Even the dollarama MAKO frog has been a good producer. Just takes on a lot of water to be squeezed out more often. I have 1 or 2 of most brands I try

Archived