Recommendations?

Mbocco

Hi All,

I am seriously considering buying a kayak mostly for fishing.  I’ve kayaked plenty using crappy resort kayaks in Florida/Caribbean.   So I would image anything I buy would be an improvement. 

I am looking for some recommendations for my first kayak. I would only use it in lakes and harbours, not rivers with a lot of current.  $500 is fine though I would spend more if it would be worth it.  I would likely not want to spend $1000 though.  I’ve done a lot of online research but thought some of you could chime in.  I’m 180lbs and 6’.   

Thanks!

I fish my old town vapour 12ft from time to time. Don’t much like fishing from a kayak anymore, that being said I would recommend a 10 to 12 ft sit on top. Outdoors Oriented has a nice selection or sail in Burlington. 

One thing I would say is try and paddle as many different ones as you can if you can. If you wait until May of next year(I know it’s along time) they do have a paddle day at Charles Daly. Depending on how much gear you want to bring and how much you can lift to car top as-well plays a big factor. 

Or if you wait until September / October you will probably find some really good deals on Kijiji that’s where I picked up mine for 300$. 

As as far as kayaks go it’s all preference. But I’ve fished out of the wilderness system kayaks and my old town and some pelicans and I would have to say the bigger price tag the much better vessel unfortunately

as far as personal preference goes and if I were to do it all over again. I would buy the feel free lure 11.5.  Only downside is you can only get them in the states. In grand scheme of things though what ever gets you on the water. Hope my rambling helped. 

1 hour ago, Tyler0420 said:

I don’t know much about kayaks but if I got one it would be something I could troll with on lake O for trout/salmon. 

I have seen them trolling past me at Jordan .....using foot peddles allows you to troll nicely at any speed .  My second option would be a Sports Pal canoe with a small electric side mounted motor . 

Thanks for the suggestions all.  The foot pedals are attractive but many of the harbours here are so shallow i don’t think I’d want the pedal device below the kayak running into weeds and rocks.  But it’s all preliminary research now.  Testing them would be ideal.  Good idea for sure. 

On 7/28/2019 at 11:30 AM, smerchly said:

I have seen them trolling past me at Jordan .....using foot peddles allows you to troll nicely at any speed .  My second option would be a Sports Pal canoe with a small electric side mounted motor . 

I had a sports pal and went to a kayak. The kayak was harder to load (much heavier) and not as much room. I switched back to the sports pal in 14’ and at 54 pounds it’s a breeze to car top. I have so much room and this thing is stable as heck. I have the option of taking a second person if I want the company. I run a traxxis 45 pound electric with a group 31 battery. Honestly I can troll a full day and still have over 50% battery. I got my first sports pal 20 years ago and can say never have I come close to tipping it even when standing. I think they both have their place but for trolling calm lakes and even rivers I much prefer my sports pal over my kayak.

21 hours ago, Mbocco said:

The more I read, the higher my budget is going.  Lol.  

Happens to everyone when it comes to kayak fishing. I would seriously consider cruising kijiji and be ready to buy it that day when it comes up they don’t last long on kijiji. Can get some good deals. Just do the homework first

@Mbocco We've got our Anniversary Sale coming up August 15-18 While we don't have prices finalized yet, there will be deals on all our fishing kayaks. 😁

I use a Pelican 100 angler.  It is a sit inside and costs around $400.  I personally wouldn't trade it.  I've fished with others in different kayaks and the advantages to this far outweigh the disadvantages.  I can go in a lot rougher water than most sit on top I've fished with.  I can go in cold water and not get wet.  It fits in the trunk of my ford focus with the seat down.  I don't have to worry about gear falling out (it is inside with me).  It's warmer in the winter and cooler in the summer (sitting inside water cools the inside and keeps wind out in winter).  I can go from kids in bed to on the water fishing in 20 minutes.  Don't have to worry about launching as I can launch from any shore bank and carry or drag it anywhere.  Trolling is easy with a bit of practice.  The value of the kayak is pretty much the same used as new.  It takes up next to no space hanging from the roof in my shed.

I don't really have any negatives to it.  I have fished with others in sit on top and found that my little $400 kayak keeps up with the sit on tops.  I mainly use mine for the grand river.  I Can't add a trolling motor and it'd be difficult to add go pros.

IMG-20181108-WA0018.jpeg

IMG-20181117-WA0015.jpeg

IMG-20190611-WA0020.jpeg

IMG-20190708-WA0006.jpeg

IMG-20190708-WA0014.jpeg

• 2 weeks later...

Well after much research and visiting many stores and checking out every kayak I possibly could, I decided on an Old Town Topwater 120.   I think I got a really sweet deal on a brand new one.  I was playing with it in the swimming pool and it is almost impossible to flip.   I can stand on one foot it is so stable.  It’s a bit heavy, but small price to pay for the security of that level of stability.  I will have no concerns trolling Lake Ontario with this thing.  Now I just can’t wait to install a fish finder and get this baby out on some real water!

Before that though, I’m off to Florida Sunday for some relax, surf fishing, and flat fishing.  

Thanks everyone for for all the advice.  

Congrats ...looks like a mean machine !  I checked out a couple of videos on You Tube and I think you will enjoy fishing with it .

and have a good trip ....hope to see some results later with your new weapon .....    :Gonefishing:

16 hours ago, Mbocco said:

Well after much research and visiting many stores and checking out every kayak I possibly could, I decided on an Old Town Topwater 120.   I think I got a really sweet deal on a brand new one.  I was playing with it in the swimming pool and it is almost impossible to flip.   I can stand on one foot it is so stable.  It’s a bit heavy, but small price to pay for the security of that level of stability.  I will have no concerns trolling Lake Ontario with this thing.  Now I just can’t wait to install a fish finder and get this baby out on some real water!

Before that though, I’m off to Florida Sunday for some relax, surf fishing, and flat fishing.  

Thanks everyone for for all the advice.  

Congrats on your new yak. What was the price range on it?

enjoy Florida and the fishing. Post some pics for us. 

• 1 year later...
On 8/15/2019 at 10:23 AM, Mbocco said:

Normal price was $1099 for the 12ft.  I got it for $899!

That was a better price than most comparable used kayaks on Kijiji.  

Looking through the kayak section here and wow same kayak now is 3x’s as much.  The 120 is going for 2899+tax.  Still looking forward to getting one.  A $3000 kayak is still cheaper then a 40,000 boat. 

8 minutes ago, Tyler0420 said:

Looking through the kayak section here and wow same kayak now is 3x’s as much.  The 120 is going for 2899+tax.  Still looking forward to getting one.  A $3000 kayak is still cheaper then a 40,000 boat. 

The PDL 12ft is $2899, the PDL 10.5ft is $2699. 

The paddle version of the 120 is $1299. 

Archived