Another healthy hobby of mine.

marth11

So one of my favourite things to do is cook, I am actually in school for that currently, well working on a few prerequisites first. Here is my breakfast this morning, it's a shakshouka, which is eggs poached in a spicy tomato stew.

20190909_085151.jpg

1 hour ago, Brian_b said:

that looks and sounds tasty. I like to cut up a tomato and fry it with my eggs.

Fried tomatoes are criminally underrated

1 hour ago, marth11 said:

Fried tomatoes are criminally underrated

HA HA Joe ...  that looks like a great brekkie treat ! 

So many ways to do up eggs .  I like my bacon & eggs , toast & coffee ...eggs sunny side down . Still like dipping toast in boiled eggs too .

For a change I cut a big fat green pepper to make 1/4" + rings ...fry it for a minute , turn it over , break an egg inside ,salt-pepper, cover it & cook for another minute or so .

Place it on toast and enjoy with a few sliced tomatoes and bacon on the side .....or fish  :wub:

• 1 month later...

JW......   nice appetizing cake you baked ?  

Do you have any cat-chip for that ?  Or  can it be used in tacos ? 

I'll stick to coffee Crisp if you don't mind Jack .....    😋

37 minutes ago, smerchly said:

Joe .....How do you like to prepare / cook your perch ?

Always willing to try something new ! 

Recently I have been just doing a simple double egg wash fried perch, I first coat the perch in egg, than dip in flour, dip again in egg and than dip in breadcrumbs. I then fry in oil and butter. I also tried something new today, where I steamed the perch, spread strawberry cream cheese and then placed a slice of avocado on one side of the fillet, I then roll the fillet into basically well bite size little rolls.

Recently I have been just doing a simple double egg wash fried perch, I first coat the perch in egg, than dip in flour, dip again in egg and than dip in breadcrumbs. I then fry in oil and butter. I also tried something new today, where I steamed the perch, spread strawberry cream cheese and then placed a slice of avocado on one side of the fillet, I then roll the fillet into basically well bite size little rolls.

Strawberry cream cheese eh. That’s a new one. How’d it taste?

1 hour ago, Tyler0420 said:

Strawberry cream cheese eh. That’s a new one. How’d it taste?

It tasted alright, needs a bit of work, but I wasn't bad.

12 hours ago, marth11 said:

That's basically the way I cook perch Joe ....use Panko crumbs mixed with some Italian crumbs for some seasoning . Lately been using coconut oil (expensive) and sometimes cook in the oven , wrapped in tinfoil .

Steamed....strawberry cream cheese ....avocado ......whoa !!!     🤗

29 minutes ago, smerchly said:

That's basically the way I cook perch Joe ....use Panko crumbs mixed with some Italian crumbs for some seasoning . Lately been using coconut oil (expensive) and sometimes cook in the oven , wrapped in tinfoil .

Steamed....strawberry cream cheese ....avocado ......whoa !!!     🤗

I chose steamed cause it is easier to handle, made rolling a lot easier.

9 minutes ago, marth11 said:

I chose steamed cause it is easier to handle, made rolling a lot easier.

After steaming fish , you can chop them up , mix in some spuds & onion , brown in a pan with a little butter (oil) and you have tasty fish cakes .

I worked with a guy from Sydney Mines who brought fish cakes to work ....delicious ! His name was John Glen who we called the Astronaut  , loved his walleye !

On 10/29/2019 at 10:35 AM, smerchly said:

After steaming fish , you can chop them up , mix in some spuds & onion , brown in a pan with a little butter (oil) and you have tasty fish cakes .

I worked with a guy from Sydney Mines who brought fish cakes to work ....delicious ! His name was John Glen who we called the Astronaut  , loved his walleye !

This is what I do with my fried perch lol, I made the mayo myself and added sriracha sauce.

IMG_20191020_062752_322.jpg

This is what I do with my fried perch lol, I made the mayo myself and added sriracha sauce.

Since you like playing in the kitchen ... ditch the sriracha and make your own hot sauce, relatively easy to go and fairly inexpensive if you can control yourself when buying the peppers.  In the freezer I have a pineapple mango ghost pepper one ... only down fall is it is too thick for most squirt bottles compared to a proper sauce.  I think the cost for about 2 litres of sauce was around $20 and that was mostly peppers because I could not control myself.

1 hour ago, Snags said:

Since you like playing in the kitchen ... ditch the sriracha and make your own hot sauce, relatively easy to go and fairly inexpensive if you can control yourself when buying the peppers.  In the freezer I have a pineapple mango ghost pepper one ... only down fall is it is too thick for most squirt bottles compared to a proper sauce.  I think the cost for about 2 litres of sauce was around $20 and that was mostly peppers because I could not control myself.

I've made my own hot sauce before, I have grown my own chilis and tomatoes in the past. Sriracha is a bit different as it is fermented, and not cooked down like typical sauces. Sriracha is relatively simple though, you really just use large Thai chilis and a few spices, it just takes a week to make lol.

1 hour ago, smerchly said:

You eat well Joe  !  That looks super delicious ! 

I didn't use bread crumbs for this recipe, I crushed up some saltines instead. The mayo was the hardest part, cause I had to hand whisk it for 10 mins lol normally a food processor is used for that.

Always yum to crush up a few of your favorite kind of chips in the crispy coating....also make my own hot sauce...thanks for sharing some tips..nothing like good ole home cooking 

Funny ....not many talk about using Fish Crisp these days......found it too salty for one thing ....

Why do people use Cajun spice & cornmeal for catfish but not other fish ?  I think it would be a nice change for pike, etc. 

On 10/28/2019 at 9:41 PM, marth11 said:

Ya had me right up until the Avocado...........can't stand that chit. lol

Archived