Jordan Canoe Trip

smerchly

Got an invite to do a canoe fish with Kightfisher today .  Water  level is still high but parking lot is dry . We trolled ,  , drifted various baits in the murky water while enjoying the waterfowl along the banks that were picking off the big supply of bait fish breaking water everywhere . And the fish were not hungry !  Dan picked up a perch on a worm and that was it  ...Another thing we noticed was the lack of weed beds along the bank probably due to the extra high water levels again this year .

On the way back to the conservation park we were met with a convoy of rowers from E.S.Crossley School who joined the park for their rowing practice , some who were oblivious that others use the harbour as well . 

It was a beauty day to be on the water and taking in the scenery and wildlife......and  we saw a few of these wire  "nesting cages"  planted in the back bays ...don't know what they are for but we assume some kind of bird nests in them ??

Dan had his "good quality" fishing rod "explode" at the center joint with only a slight bend of pressure ....never seen a rod shatter like that . The one year warranty is over so it looks like he has to buy another rod .....

Nesting cage.jpg

It was very strange to see all the bait fish breaking the surface throughout the whole system and the fish had lockjaw ....or were absent . We tried everything from crankbaits , salted minnows , frozen smelts , worms , 3 way worm harness and notta .....

The habitat isn't normal with the high water level ....maybe try shore fishing for carp or tossing live minnows/worms on a float ?

Strange disappearance of fish in many spots this year ....

Mbocco .....hope you have some luck ....let us know if there are any fish in there !  :Gonefishing:

Was quite the outing for sure. Very comfortable on the water, regardless of the high temps.
And of course the beauty of the area makes it very enjoyable.
However I never had so many mishaps occur as did. Quite a number of snags, handling the Pal
with the gusts of winds regardless of the 40 electric made for creative maneuvers.
Lost 30 or so yards of powerpro line. Line just snapped when bringing in the bait. Never happened
to me before.  Any breaks in the past was always at the lure or leader.
Wind blew off my tilley hat, and with the wind blowing us around, got to it just as it was sinking.
Later as Bill mentioned, my rod exploded to my shock. Lost various tips of rods here and there,
but never in the middle. Then about 3:30 there was about 30 racing scull/shells coming towards us,
but keep a good distance away. Few minutes later another barrage of shells came towards us, and
the coach in the tinny had to tell a number of the crews to watch out for us.  And of course don't I get
a snag, and the Sportspal blowing in the wind, and a eight man boat aiming to T-bone us, lol, it was
quite funny.
Was surprised we didn't get any fish, especially when in the past, where many cats and sheepheads were caught.
Enjoyable time out, lots of birds and wild life to see, and lots of stories between Bill and I.

PS: Bill, I picked up the same rod today, I just have so much affinity for this model lol.

:Gonefishing:

DSCN4079.JPG

1 hour ago, knightfisher said:
Was quite the outing for sure. Very comfortable on the water, regardless of the high temps.
And of course the beauty of the area makes it very enjoyable.
However I never had so many mishaps occur as did. Quite a number of snags, handling the Pal
with the gusts of winds regardless of the 40 electric made for creative maneuvers.
Lost 30 or so yards of powerpro line. Line just snapped when bringing in the bait. Never happened
to me before.  Any breaks in the past was always at the lure or leader.
Wind blew off my tilley hat, and with the wind blowing us around, got to it just as it was sinking.
Later as Bill mentioned, my rod exploded to my shock. Lost various tips of rods here and there,
but never in the middle. Then about 3:30 there was about 30 racing scull/shells coming towards us,
but keep a good distance away. Few minutes later another barrage of shells came towards us, and
the coach in the tinny had to tell a number of the crews to watch out for us.  And of course don't I get
a snag, and the Sportspal blowing in the wind, and a eight man boat aiming to T-bone us, lol, it was
quite funny.
Was surprised we didn't get any fish, especially when in the past, where many cats and sheepheads were caught.
Enjoyable time out, lots of birds and wild life to see, and lots of stories between Bill and I.

PS: Bill, I picked up the same rod today, I just have so much affinity for this model lol.

DSCN4079.JPG

Now you can take it back for warranty exchange.  Benefits of buying the same rod twice lol. 

There are plenty of drum if you fish from shore.   There are also plenty of carp and catfish though I haven’t targeted them.  Lots of bait fish and jumping bass that I couldn’t catch. 

Today i I caught some perch and this thing.  

0AAE1715-C8E0-4A89-8DF1-1398606A2CBF.jpeg

18 hours ago, smerchly said:

Got an invite to do a canoe fish with Kightfisher today .  Water  level is still high but parking lot is dry . We trolled ,  , drifted various baits in the murky water while enjoying the waterfowl along the banks that were picking off the big supply of bait fish breaking water everywhere . And the fish were not hungry !  Dan picked up a perch on a worm and that was it  ...Another thing we noticed was the lack of weed beds along the bank probably due to the extra high water levels again this year .

On the way back to the conservation park we were met with a convoy of rowers from E.S.Crossley School who joined the park for their rowing practice , some who were oblivious that others use the harbour as well . 

It was a beauty day to be on the water and taking in the scenery and wildlife......and  we saw a few of these wire  "nesting cages"  planted in the back bays ...don't know what they are for but we assume some kind of bird nests in them ??

Dan had his "good quality" fishing rod "explode" at the center joint with only a slight bend of pressure ....never seen a rod shatter like that . The one year warranty is over so it looks like he has to buy another rod .....

Nesting cage.jpg

Hey smerchly that is a nesting box for mallards i put one out in one of my hunting spots i seen a hen in it when i was turkey hunting in the spring much safer for them then along the banks 

but thats what that is for

Thanks Mike , we saw a few mink running the shoreline so they would not be able to raid the mallard nests .

Put there by the MNR  or private clubs .....not too far from the "Owl Lady's" territory .

4 hours ago, Mbocco said:

A Rudd eh?  Looks like a wannabe carp without the whiskers and downwards snout. 

Lots of rudd in Jordan , Gibson , Charles Daley . ...tough little fish , hard hitting and trick to catch .

I enjoy Jordan as it's like a sanctuary for many bird species . ...lots of kingfishers , blue herons , green herons , diving terns , the odd osprey , loons , vultures , and cormorants , ducks , etc.  I like to capture herons with a willow tree background , like this one  . ( a little rocky in the canoe)

Jordan Heron.jpg

Wow, really eh, what are the chances.
I have numerous 'Brand' name rods, but
like this one the best for canoe fishing.
Over the years this rod pulled in many pike,
channel cats, one high flying musky,
and many other fish.
What species of fish were you targeting
with this rod ?

Archived