Winter carping

Tyler0420

Good on ya for gettin' out and giving it a go, Tyler.  A nice sunset, indeed.  When you do get one out there, do your best to keep it away from the rock jetty to your right.  Lots of snags, including a buoy which is a real problem when your line( and fish )wraps around it.

1 hour ago, Mike Pike said:

Good on ya for gettin' out and giving it a go, Tyler.  A nice sunset, indeed.  When you do get one out there, do your best to keep it away from the rock jetty to your right.  Lots of snags, including a buoy which is a real problem when your line( and fish )wraps around it.

Thanks for the heads up. I’m actually tempted to fish the channel  coming in from the bridge but not sure how many carp will be coming in and out of there or if their hanging out that shallow.   Again wish I could fish two rods......

Ditto for me as well today .  Perfect conditions , using maize on a hair & shrimp ,but no bites . The water drops off to about 8',   15' from shore with a nice slow current  and clean bottom . The carp & channels seem to have disappeared !   I'll visit there again in the spring . Never seen so many geese in my life with many in the water works reservoir crapping in my drinking water !!    .....:unsure:.....

Moodie at narrows.jpg

3 minutes ago, Mike Pike said:

before freeze up, eh?

I think we have the same chance after freeze up Mike ....accidental catches of course .  They will take a live perch minnow under the ice on occasion ....could we be using the wrong cold water baits now ?   :read:

We catch carp in the Gibson lakes in both shallow bays and deep (15') channels with currents....hard to find where they are now .

Yes, harder to catch but still catchable.  I know anglers in England will use different baits in winter.  Now, their winters are not quite as cold as ours, but sometimes they have to crack through skim-ice to get at their fish.  Winter carping here is like a new frontier.

I always reverse my lines in my backyard when they show signs of wear . The last 50 -100+ yds. never leaves the reel so it's still like new .  Since I'm still in the grasshopper stage of carp fishing ,  I don't know how much to chum a spot in the cold months . I have read it's best to chum very little in most spots , maybe more in spots that have a current . I added some "mashed" shrimp & smelt to the chum for extra scent .....but they didn't "bite" ....maybe a little KFC ??   

....Tyler ,  does that spot have overhead lights ? 

14 hours ago, smerchly said:

I always reverse my lines in my backyard when they show signs of wear . The last 50 -100+ yds. never leaves the reel so it's still like new .  Since I'm still in the grasshopper stage of carp fishing ,  I don't know how much to chum a spot in the cold months . I have read it's best to chum very little in most spots , maybe more in spots that have a current . I added some "mashed" shrimp & smelt to the chum for extra scent .....but they didn't "bite" ....maybe a little KFC ??   

....Tyler ,  does that spot have overhead lights ? 

Smerch this spot has everything lol. Overhead lights, washroom, parking steps away from where you set up and timmies two blocks up the road.  

Im mostly baiting this spot for a New Year’s Day outting.  CAG has this “event” going on New Year’s Day. It’s world wide. 

I’m the only Canadian signed up so far lmao.  Man the guys Down south sure have it better then we do.  

Once the rain starts today I’ll be done work and back there to toss a line in and chuck some more corn out.  I’d rather sit in my truck and wait for a bite then sit at home. Can’t wait for one of my next purchases....A bivy.  

Nice Tyler !   Tim's 2 blocks away ....any KFC's too  lol . 

Just checking out some bivvies on Ebay .....quite a price range and they could double for an ice hut ! 

https://www.ebay.ca/b/Fishing-Bivvies/72670/bn_7406386

1 hour ago, Steve_Guelph said:

Do you sit in the truck Tyler? Are you fishing close enough to avoid the elements?

Ya when it’s crapy out I’ll sit in the truck. I have the receiver with me and I’m close enough to see my rod and hear my alarm. 

Looks like a nice spot ....clear water and deep ?

The carp  seem to be winning the game Tyler .....for me the score is 5 /nothing !

3 hours ago, Bubba14 said:

I really need to get out. May be waiting impatiently for the hard water now...

Same here Bubba  , really in limbo right now ....have been spending many hours in the basement man cave sorting through tackle !   Let's hope old man winter lays a beating on us soon !   :Gonefishing:

Ya it was about 10-12fow. Was pretty clear but had a greenish/blue colour to it. The guy said usually it’s gin clear and if the carp are in you can see them.  He said in the spring it’s absolutely loaded with carp.

smerch 5blanks aren’t bad. I’m at 5 in the last week. Just makes it that much better when we get one. 

Keep the carp gear out the hard water around here is no where close.   

2 hours ago, Tyler0420 said:

smerch 5blanks aren’t bad. I’m at 5 in the last week. Just makes it that much better when we get one. 

If I catch one of those obstinate puckered lipped bottom dwellers .....

...it's going into the frying pan !!   :angry:

well,,,,not really .................................^_^