Martindale Trees Cut Down

smerchly

I'm not sure if they are referring to the same trees I saw being felled near the Henley Island bridge , but  it's good to see they were fined and made to replace the trees ....too much of this going on by people who have no regard for the environment . This story reminded me of the people that also got busted at Charles Daley Park for destroying a 100 meters of prime habitat on the east side of the pond . 

https://www.niagarathisweek.com/news-story/9802728-cutting-down-trees-without-permission-is-costly-for-st-catharines-property-owner/

2 hours ago, мормышка said:

$5000 plus the cost of 25 trees is a expensive lesson.

Slap on the wrist. Property owner now has a million dollar view and the property value gets a huge boost

I would love to see more of these guys get busted especially when they take it upon there self and don't go through the proper  steps

i know of a farm i don't know if he had a permit but he wiped out at least 10 acres of forest just to make his field bigger it was prime forest for deer/ turkey now its all gone sad to see people just do as they please and get away with it at least this guy didn't

Niagara has been known to have the best soils for growing food (veg. fruit, etc) .Much of it has been paved over and are now subdivisions and plazas . ....and much more will end up the same way . China would buy every acre of  land here if we let them and turn it into malls and high rises  where much more $$$ could be made per acre than crops . Politicians know larger populations mean more bucks . The old 10 acre corn field opposite my back yard is now crammed full of housing .....but there are trees too ....

Seems to be some omitted data on this situation.
Was there a restrictive covenant on this piece of land that the owner was unaware of, at time of possession.
Was it a blatant disregard on the part of the homeowner.
Missing information.
A number of us who fish the area were quite impressed on how well groomed the land is.
As a result, now the family there enjoy the water front, which we have observed a number of times.
Right or wrong, the planting of 25 trees should not deter the family and children enjoying the water front.
Most here will never see said piece of land, less one is out in a canoe/yak.

Assuming this is one of the lots i am thinking of ... If I could afford it (the house/lot) I would pay that 5K without blinking an eye.  Opening up the view and making it easier to get down to the water and enjoy your property ... why not.  Also was any of the trees a danger of coming down onto the house?

There is definitely more to this than what has been told though, and if it is a case of what is printed being the whole story, well then the Niagara Peninsula Conservation Authority acted in poor faith in my book.  Plenty of houses have done things around Martindale pond that has drastically altered their backyards and no fines have been levied or made public.  This is someone being upset at their neighbour or coworker guaranteed and pushing for things to happen.  Also what purpose does this "forest" serve ... deer would not be living there or travelling through the area.  Maybe some raccoons and skunks, but we have enough of those throughout the area to begin with.  Clearing the area out might make it less receptive to the local coyote population that is insanely high in that area.

But then again ... they can also utilize google maps ... more levels of government are to spy on their population, or in their terms, to ensure that no pools/renovations are being done without the proper permit.

4597093706_4a2b9a0ac9_b.jpg

I am curious as to what the NPCA plans to do with the regulars who are chopping back trees on a daily basis.  As cute as these national symbols of Canada are ... they are doing far more harm to the area as a whole than one land owner.  Was out for a walk today and there are dens with plenty of sticks around them, one is coming close to cutting completely across the stream, and at that point it will raise the waters in that little stream.

Yes , there are many questions to be asked/answered . The public only gets the viewpoint from the writer as he/she sees it .

Some questions :

Does the home owner's property go to the water line ?

If it was legal to cut down the trees ,can all the others do the same ?

Can other property owners along the 12 Mile , etc. etc. clear out the trees for a better view ?

Do the trees help prevent bank erosion , support wildlife ?

LOTS of questions need to be answered ....on paper .

The beavers obviously are doing damage and need to be "cleaned out"  ...falling trees can be a danger to us..

Re. CDP , the shoreline was a haven for many shore birds ( blue , green herons, kingfishers ) until it was "cleaned up" by people with big bank accounts who wanted a nice beach front . Environment rules should be in private property contracts before buying those properties and certainly permission to alter those waterfronts should be obtained . City property owners need to get a permit to cut down trees in many cases . ....still too much of a "grey" area on the books .

As bigugli said ,  a $5000 fine is peanuts since the house value goes up that much in a month....

Snags ....was that photo at the 12 Mile Creek ?  The beaves had downed a ton of trees there and wrecked a few prime fishing spots, and most of the trees look like cherry trees (looking at the bark)

8 minutes ago, smerchly said:

Snags ....was that photo at the 12 Mile Creek ?  The beaves had downed a ton of trees there and wrecked a few prime fishing spots, and most of the trees look like cherry trees (looking at the bark)

A random beaver photo, I was going to take a shot of a beaver den, but the spot was too obvious as to the location, so settled on a random internet shot.

Clearing the land won't drastically increase the value of the house, if you can afford that house, you can afford someone to do the work for you.  It will give a very good visual of the land if you wanted to resell, and a solid visual on property size for people viewing the lot.

Re:  Charles Daily Park

Did that land owner ever get fined?  Because the city/region just went through and cut a ton of trees down between the lake and the east pond and how much the city/region just cut, that was way worse than anything that single land owner did to be able to access the water down there.

I'm not sure if they were fined , but they had to do some "restoration' ...plant grasses and water plants , etc. I didn't see any story on it in the local papers .

I was talking to a worker involved in the beach cleanup at CDP . He said they were removing all the uprooted -weak trees and debris and more trees will be planted in those bare spots . That will be good to see , but if the lake levels flood that area again it will all be in vain .

15 hours ago, smerchly said:

I'm not sure if they were fined , but they had to do some "restoration' ...plant grasses and water plants , etc. I didn't see any story on it in the local papers .

I was talking to a worker involved in the beach cleanup at CDP . He said they were removing all the uprooted -weak trees and debris and more trees will be planted in those bare spots . That will be good to see , but if the lake levels flood that area again it will all be in vain .

They were given warnings, ordered to do some plantings and ordered to put up a sediment barries to slow the flow of earth from the stripped hillside. There were no charges. No fines.

When I was looking to purchase a home a few years ago i ran into this issue.  Of the 10 acre lot 9.5 acres of it was protected marshland by the NPCA.  I was warned before I put in an offer by the realtor of the state of the property.  There are was around it, it is super costly and time consuming.  The 5 gs is a drop in the bucket compared to getting approval.

There is marshland near Marineland that Chinese billionaires want to turn into a huge complex . When huge sums of money for the government are offered for developing these " protected"  marshlands ,  the word is  "paved" marshlands . China has huge power in this country as they buy us out piece by piece.  But nothing has changed over the years , money is the "trump" card .

• 2 weeks later...

Yep Smerch....China is like a giant sponge buying up much of the world . They have the bucks now and will not take no for an answer . They have just destroyed more wet lands at "ThunderWonder Waters  and the work has been stopped "temporarily"  . We must be careful not to offend those billionaires who could care less about our environment . They have ways to retaliate ....careful visiting China......

https://www.stcatharinesstandard.ca/news-story/9817889-chinese-firm-hit-with-stop-work-order-at-thundering-waters/

4 minutes ago, smerchly said:

Yep Smerch....China is like a giant sponge buying up much of the world . They have the bucks now and will not take no for an answer . They have just destroyed more wet lands at "ThunderWonder Waters  and the work has been stopped "temporarily"  . We must be careful not to offend those billionaires who could care less about our environment . They have ways to retaliate ....careful visiting China......

https://www.stcatharinesstandard.ca/news-story/9817889-chinese-firm-hit-with-stop-work-order-at-thundering-waters/

china don't give a crap about our land. wow a stop work order. china will say here is another 100 million and the work will continue... how about not letting them build there in the first place.

Archived