Simcoe ice fishing

cutthroat dan

Nice haul....nothing like a fresh fry with fish from cold water.. looks like you lucked out with some decent sized ones in the mix

Nice clean good size perch , lots of great eats there !  To me , perch are just as tasty as eyes , even better than large eyes over 3 lbs. Considering the long drive to Nip and the slot size for eyes , I would settle for a catch like that from Simcoe , and you might get lucky catching pike & eyes too.

23 minutes ago, Captain Hooksets said:

perch hands down is way better eating than eyes. imo.

And "white perch" are good eating , but be sure to remove the gunk tissue at the lateral lines .  I still have some in the freezer .

6 hours ago, smerchly said:

And "white perch" are good eating , but be sure to remove the gunk tissue at the lateral lines .  I still have some in the freezer .

Wait what?? You still have some of the gunk in the freezer Bill???? LOL............................Daniel

1 hour ago, boogaloo said:

Wait what?? You still have some of the gunk in the freezer Bill???? LOL............................Daniel

Yep Boogs .....saving the gunk for flavouring my cheese cloth sardine combo for the kitties .  ^_^

Go out from Gilford Rd. and go south. Fairly close to shore in about 9' of water. The Riley brothers fish there and usually catch. They also catch a lot of pike there to. In years previous they always had the catch of the day and swear that shallow this time of the year is the ticket!!!

Anyone fish Couch ?  We drove up Rama Rd to Airport Rd. & fished straight out in 22 -24 fow  (March/April)

I marked my line at 22 ft. ( no electronics then )  .   Three of us would cut a 6" Finbore hole about 75 to 100 yds apart  and see who got the most perch ....then all fish together to gab'n fish !  If the bite was slow we would take a short run to Lake St.John , just passed the airport .  The perch there were mostly wormy which just adds more protein ......   B)

10 hours ago, cutthroat dan said:

28 fow , Using bigger minnows with just the head on small slabgrabber type spoon and a berkly power nymph on dropshot hook

We fished 1.1km straight outta gilford. Didn’t move all day. Got on the ice around 5:30 and had two in the bucket before sun up. Bite was pretty steady. Bigger fish cam on lures, mostly slab grabber. Post some pic shortly 

17 hours ago, Tyler0420 said:

We fished 1.1km straight outta gilford. Didn’t move all day. Got on the ice around 5:30 and had two in the bucket before sun up. Bite was pretty steady. Bigger fish cam on lures, mostly slab grabber. Post some pic shortly 

F450D4E4-7A7E-4886-8FF7-144EE28BF329.jpeg

9D66F29D-C062-4C4B-8DC4-4C821D3CBAD6.jpeg

We also hit gilford on Saturday,prob 205 m north of tyler0420...didn’t get to him though as the comforts of a warm hut where too tempting for visiting or running and gunning..kept the heater on nonstop...that wind was mean!They must have been another 998 huts besides ours eh Tyler?!? 

2 of us caught 100 but nearly all where dinks,kept 7. 

A fun day...survived the ride home,scratched the itch..mission accomplished 👍 

Im still hoping for Erie, SurfandTurf 🤞 ...next weekend local ice for sure!

FF

I could not believe the amount of people out in the storm. I thought it would've kept the crowds away. There is no where close to park anymore and I got there pretty early. Its a long way to go to catch a couple jumbos and 100 dinks while having to work so hard for them. No more cooks bay for me. Quieter back lakes are more appealing now. Im scared to see what it would've looked like if it was a nice day... 

The good old days of catching 50 jumbos are gone lol 

3 hours ago, fredfisher said:

We also hit gilford on Saturday,prob 205 m north of tyler0420...didn’t get to him though as the comforts of a warm hut where too tempting for visiting or running and gunning..kept the heater on nonstop...that wind was mean!They must have been another 998 huts besides ours eh Tyler?!? 

2 of us caught 100 but nearly all where dinks,kept 7. 

A fun day...survived the ride home,scratched the itch..mission accomplished 👍 

Im still hoping for Erie, SurfandTurf 🤞 ...next weekend local ice for sure!

FF

Besides the weather it was a pretty good trip. Can’t believe I made it home without stopping. 5 vehicles in the ditch’s but didn’t slow traffic. Sure it wasn’t 120km/h home but it was a solid 80km.  I was one of the first on the ice and when I looked out around 10:00 couldn’t believe how many people braved the storm and came out. 

1 hour ago, roadrunner said:

I could not believe the amount of people out in the storm. I thought it would've kept the crowds away. There is no where close to park anymore and I got there pretty early. Its a long way to go to catch a couple jumbos and 100 dinks while having to work so hard for them. No more cooks bay for me. Quieter back lakes are more appealing now. Im scared to see what it would've looked like if it was a nice day... 

The good old days of catching 50 jumbos are gone lol 

Need to run and gun if you wanna find the jumbos. They gotta be out there. Leave the minnows at the tackle shop and use lures instead.  Some quiet back lakes would be nice to fish, I could care less about the perch I hate cleaning them, I just needed to get out. 

Archived