Simcoe ice fishing

cutthroat dan

1 hour ago, roadrunner said:

The good old days of catching 50 jumbos are gone lol 

Back in those good ol' days , 4 guys taking 50 jumbos per day = 200 perch ....X 1000 people on Simcoe = 16 tons of perch on a platter .

1 hour ago, Tyler0420 said:

couldn’t believe how many people braved the storm and came out. 

Today's people are tough !

4 hours ago, fredfisher said:

I'm still hoping for Erie, SurfandTurf 🤞 ...next weekend local ice for sure!

👍

58 minutes ago, smerchly said:

Back in those good ol' days , 4 guys taking 50 jumbos per day = 200 perch ....X 1000 people on Simcoe = 16 tons of perch on a platter .

Today's people are tough !

👍

Smerch, I often think about that too. Is that perch fishery doomed soon? I know people fish for other species in there(Lakers, whities etc.) but it would seem most are perching. I know lake Simcoe has been there forever and this has been going on forever but there’s definitely much more pressure and gets worse every year. Does something have to change? Time will tell I suppose but imo 50 perch/day is too many. 

Captain 

Maybe for Simcoe  the large perch numbers are down , but there's plenty of dinks that should replenish the jumbos .....and of course the jumbos are packed with roe. Lake Erie has tons of perch and eyes this year , but of course is a tad larger than Simcoe .

I agree that some limits are more than the average angler needs and can be repeated every day . If the mnr deems the fish population is taking a hit , like Lake Nip. , they can easily adjust the numbers .

On 1/19/2020 at 7:26 PM, мормышка said:

I fish to get out for the peace and quiet. I rarely keep fish. I take picture of biggest one and am happy with that. Perch is good eating fish though. Better than walleye.

Most pan fish are better in the pan .  It's a toss up which is better , perch or crappies .

3 hours ago, cutthroat dan said:

I found this year simcoe perch is much bigger than past couple years ,but to catch 50 Jumbos in a day is rare 10 ,11 inch fish are the best eating anyways. I always buy a conservation licence that allows 25 perch which is plenty to feed a bunch of people.

Lots of gobies in Simcoe. Should start seeing 2 lb'ers.

• 1 year later...
On 1/17/2020 at 10:55 AM, мормышка said:

Got a hut booked for 26th. 

Hut operators are putting them out slowly.

I may have missed an update on this .....did you have to cancel ?  

If anglers want to take their own hut or fish in the open as we used to do there , can parking spots be found ?

I got a ticket in Keswick  during the Yamaha derby for parking about 1" too close to a corner .....never been back since .

On 1/22/2020 at 9:46 AM, мормышка said:

Lots of gobies in Simcoe. Should start seeing 2 lb'ers.

I haven't seen a 2 lb. gobie  in a while M.   :P

5 hours ago, smerchly said:

If anglers want to take their own hut or fish in the open as we used to do there , can parking spots be found ?

I got a ticket in Keswick  during the Yamaha derby for parking about 1" too close to a corner .....never been back since .

Parking has only gotten worse.  

13 hours ago, smerchly said:

From what I understand a hut operator can rent "day huts" only with the requirement that there are less than 5 people (social gathering law) and that all the occupants need to reside in the same household.

Simcoe is heavily fished , only a matter of time when the larger perch numbers go down . It's a short drive from T.O. and some will keep the 50 fish limit no matter the size , & we have a lot of help using the latest technology to find the schools . I fished my last few trips at Couch.  ...22 -24 fow using Rap jigs and got some nice perch !  We also fished Lake St.John , but most perch were in the 7-8" range and many with worms .....great place to take a kid for constant hook ups !  :Gonefishing:

4 hours ago, smerchly said:

Simcoe is heavily fished , only a matter of time when the larger perch numbers go down . It's a short drive from T.O. and some will keep the 50 fish limit no matter the size , & we have a lot of help using the latest technology to find the schools . I fished my last few trips at Couch.  ...22 -24 fow using Rap jigs and got some nice perch !  We also fished Lake St.John , but most perch were in the 7-8" range and many with worms .....great place to take a kid for constant hook ups !  :Gonefishing:

Will be a lot less Americans on Simcoe this season.

4 hours ago, smerchly said:

What area of Couch did you fish Bill? I was actually looking at a map of the lake yesterday. I see that there is an outfitter called A Breath of Fresh Air Outdoor Sports. Conveniently located a short distance away is a park with what appears to be a fairly large parking lot. Might be able to get up there with my portable hut and be close to some possible action. I have a relative who lives in Orillia who could check out the parking lot in advance.

We went down Airport Rd east of Rama  just passed the small airport and found a short run near Blueberry Rd. where there a point of land . ...didn't need to walk out far to get 15-20 fow.  That was many years ago Scott , things have probably changed as far as access spots .  It was always fun to fish there . 

( I need to get a menu bar for this new Chrome set up so I can save a map picture )  

15 hours ago, smerchly said:

We went down Airport Rd east of Rama  just passed the small airport and found a short run near Blueberry Rd. where there a point of land . ...didn't need to walk out far to get 15-20 fow.  That was many years ago Scott , things have probably changed as far as access spots .  It was always fun to fish there . 

( I need to get a menu bar for this new Chrome set up so I can save a map picture )  

Smerch go to your Windows Accessories and use the Sniping Tool, I stuck it on my bottom bar, you can copy anything on your monitor as a jpeg file.

Thanks Dave ....I tried for an hour and got the snip tool on my bottom bar ok , but when I closed the window on my screen , the the snip tool disappears ......   will try again later tonight ....

....been snowing real good out there ......    :worthy:

17 hours ago, мормышка said:

Will be a lot less Americans on Simcoe this season.

Too bad there’s 10x the amount of Canadians fishing this year.  Good thing simcoe is huge but limited spots to safely fish right now. 

Thanks Dave & Chris .....  I  found that asking Mr.Google gave me a clue .....as I'm using Windows 7 & Chrome . After a few clicks I was able to paste the clipping scissors on my bottom bar .....works like a charm !   It works like a cropping tool !  

I'll have to try it on my Niagara Navigator maps as well . Thanks again guys !   :worthy:

On my run today I stopped in at the SCGFA to look for a buddy ...A guy was feeding the mallards ....what a racket !  There must be well over a hundred feeding together !   So I took a video with my old camera , and tried the snipping tool while on pause .....not as clear as a regular shot but passable .....Nice feature to have ...very quick and easy !  

Duckies.PNG

1 hour ago, smerchly said:

On my run today I stopped in at the SCGFA to look for a buddy ...A guy was feeding the mallards ....what a racket !  There must be well over a hundred feeding together !   So I took a video with my old camera , and tried the snipping tool while on pause .....not as clear as a regular shot but passable .....Nice feature to have ...very quick and easy !  

Duckies.PNG

I didn’t see any anglers there today but looked like there was some decent current. 

Archived