Truck Bed Extender

smerchly

Has anyone used these extenders ?  I picked one up today at P.Auto  , one sale for $60 . 

I bought it for my Astro van so that I can easily put my 16' freighter canoe in the van and have about 6 -7' resting on this steel extension .

It can also sit upright over the van's roof to carry ladders , boats , etc. .I haven't seen one on the road  , but it should be the ticket for me for short runs since I will need to have the back doors slightly open which causes some exhaust to get inside ..... (front windows open)

https://www.princessauto.com/en/detail/collapsible-hitch-mount-truck-bed-extender/A-p8540882e?utm_medium=flyertown&utm_source=eflyer&utm_campaign=hosted

1 hour ago, Loonietoon1 said:

Smerchly, you are only allowed a 4 ft overhang from the rear of your vehicle by law. You would be better to put canoe on the roof with minimum overhang

Thanks for that info  LT , I'll have to check into that . One of the pictures shows a load of long lumber well over 4ft. passed the  "T" extender which is 5 ft. passed my bumper . If I allow the canoe to sit on the 5'ft. cross member about 3 ft. it would extend passed the cross member and  be about 7-8 ft.passed the back doors of the van . A  red/orange marker would be added , and I would not use any highways , just local roads to fish Jordan , Martindale or the Rec . If necessary , I'll have to slide it over the 5 ft wide bar and load on top .

I'm sure if all the recycle bin pillaging e bike tards can pull trailers...double ride....bring kids in tote with a bicycle helmet while spilling beer cans on the road can drive anywhere they want .... a legit cargo carrier and proper precautions will be ok 🤪😯😂

2 hours ago, Jwl1 said:

I'm sure if all the recycle bin pillaging e bike tards can pull trailers...double ride....bring kids in tote with a bicycle helmet while spilling beer cans on the road can drive anywhere they want .... a legit cargo carrier and proper precautions will be ok 🤪😯😂

That falls under a different set of controls that need to be inforced that are not. This falls under the Highway Traffic Act and Police given a chance will enforce it. Fines are Heavy and not worth taking a chance on. Best check with the MTO as they also enforce this.

1 minute ago, Loonietoon1 said:

Please read Highway Traffic Act 109 for a better clarification to the question.

I found this one ....... just a minute ago ......

• Trucks Handbook - Ministry of Transportation

The Highway Traffic Act states that any load overhanging the rear of a vehicle by 1.5 metres (5 ft.) or more should be marked by a red light when lights are required (one-half hour before sunset to one-half hour after sunrise or at other times of poor light conditions) and, at all other times, by a red flag or red marker.

www.mto.gov.on.ca/english/trucks/handbook/section1-4-4.shtml

2 minutes ago, Steve_Guelph said:

Bill I use mine all the time for my kayak and canoe. Red flag during the day and I use a bicycle light (led type) at night. I also have red reflective tape on the bars. Do this and you won’t have an issue. This I know from experience 😉

Thanks Steve ....it comes with reflector tape  and will only be used in day hours . I have had 16 ft. lumber in my Astro van with 8'

beyond the bumper and marked with  a bright orange cloth . It sure will make it easier to launch my 90 lb.canoe . I also have a two wheeled dolly to wheel it over land .

Archived