Yeah it made me feel really old, and dream of the days fishing was simple. you put a minnow on a hook with a sinker below it and tried to catch a perch. No bites after a while you determined there were no fish around you pulled up your anchor and moved to another spot.

1 hour ago, RJR said:

Yeah it made me feel really old, and dream of the days fishing was simple. you put a minnow on a hook with a sinker below it and tried to catch a perch. No bites after a while your determined there were no fish around you pulled up your anchor and moved to another spot.

Days of old you didn't need a fish finder. You went to your normal spot and caught some fish. And you spot near by and not 5 miles out in the lake.

Edited by Chrisb
On 3/24/2020 at 12:56 PM, tombo said:

Will do. Btw, this unit is 699 at Erie tracker with Canada lakes map card.

Got out on the water for a short pre fishing test run. Unit seems to be pretty good, but will def have to watch some videos to figure out the best settings. Being a ex-humminbird guy it will take a while to get used to the different way to navigate through the system, but it doesn’t appear to be difficult just different.

I'm with the low tech people here...if I have to rely on all this technology to be able to consistently catch fish...may as well just open a captain highliner box....I like the adventures of figuring it out myself....anyone can push an on button..punch in a couple numbers and catch a fish.....its way more fun exploring....and learning along the way....be it conditional...structural...weather related....seasonal....throwing my patterns over the years on whatever species I target....remember the days when your depth finder was a jug someone tied to the rock you dont want to hit...lol

34 minutes ago, tombo said:

Got out on the water for a short pre fishing test run. Unit seems to be pretty good, but will def have to watch some videos to figure out the best settings. Being a ex-humminbird guy it will take a while to get used to the different way to navigate through the system, but it doesn’t appear to be difficult just different.

Thanks for reporting back. I’d be in the same boat as you coming from humminbird.  Still trying to make a decision but may not happen this year. I’ll likely keep using my old Bird. 

To each their own. I’ll type my numbers in, catch my fish and be home with a cold one In my hand before you’ll have a fish on the bank.  I can’t get out nearly as much anymore with a young family so I like to get right to the point when I can actually get out.  I do still love adventure though.