2020 smelt

fishingjohn

If you hear about it from someone else or on here you probably missed it ...lol ..they will come at different times at different places...its the water temp that triggers the big runs

11 hours ago, Chrisb said:

I have not been able to get any for the last two years on Erie. Not sure if I will even try this year.

Probably more gobies than smelt  now .  Lake Ontario had so many smelt in the 50's , farmers were filling up their trucks and using them for fertilizer . We used a long handle minnow net at the 4 falls and scooped up dozens  per dip , some well over 10"   (maybe small whitefish)  :D

I would like a few meals this year ....maybe  some good rains will trigger the run .

I can tell you first hand...they certainly are not where that video was shot...was just there 15 mins ago...lol

11 minutes ago, Tyler0420 said:

Wow and I thought salmon season was busy.  Smelt can’t be that good.  

If it gets much busier than it was this morning...they will be shutting er down for a gathering larger than 50ppl 🤪😯

1 minute ago, мормышка said:

There are better spots on the river, but this is easy to access for many.

I hear ya...I been fishing the river for like 45 years 

1 hour ago, Jwl1 said:

If it gets much busier than it was this morning...they will be shutting er down for a gathering larger than 50ppl 🤪😯

Think I'll pass on that spot as I have been doing for many years . I don't like fishing the zoo zones , especially now that we don't need to be in large crowds . 

Don't the smelts come in the tribs on the north shores of Lake O . , or are the crowds even larger there ? 

Any local commercial boats selling them ? ....I would buy some uncleaned if the price was right .

1 hour ago, kevin said:

With the consumption advisories on smelt, I don't know why they are such a hot item anyway?

Probably safer to eat local smelt than some of the fish at the stores.

On the other hand ,   by looking at the quantities of smelt taken , they may be eating them often  until next season .....  

6 hours ago, smerchly said:

Probably safer to eat local smelt than some of the fish at the stores.

On the other hand ,   by looking at the quantities of smelt taken , they may be eating them often  until next season .....  

smerch, I’m with you . I’d much rather eat wild fish than the junk you get in stores.  I’m more of a catch and release guy, but a small salmon I’ve caught and ate vs a farmed is no comparison.  Again, Smerch is from like the 1700s or something so he’s got it figured out . 

On 3/19/2020 at 9:39 AM, мормышка said:

Wow who needs that many smelts? And how many actually get eaten. Would take hours if not days to clean them. People can be savages at times. What a circus. 

57 minutes ago, roadrunner said:

Wow who needs that many smelts? And how many actually get eaten. Would take hours if not days to clean them. People can be savages at times. What a circus. 

Cleaning them would be family affair. Once you get into groove its easy to clean with scissors.

21 hours ago, Captain Hooksets said:

Again, Smerch is from like the 1700s or something so he’s got it figured out . 

I'm living proof that eating local fish is better than eating  tilapia , etc.  from fish "farms" . I do buy fish'n chip once in a while ( when fishing is slow) ....:closedeyes:Good sharp pointed scissors is the way to clean them ! One of the only fish I just use flour and fry in oil or butter .  I have also smoked them on a cheap ball-b.cue using a few charcoal briquettes and wet apple chips ....turned out delicious ! 

2 minutes ago, Captain Hooksets said:

Agree Smerch! At home here we also don’t eat farmed fish. However, these days we have to monitor how much fish the wife consumes-  I’ve got another fishing partner on the way in October! 

Congrats Capt !!     Good on ya for taking good care of your wife !

With the talk about smelt, I couldn't resist sharing this. Forty odd years ago my buddy and I went down to the sand docks at Queenston and using our dip net filled a tub with smelt. We immediately returned to the shop, plugged in a couple of deep fryers and started to clean them. In no time he had a batch cooking while I had only cleaned a few. Five minutes later he is shoving them down as fast as he can and I asked him how he could clean them so fast. He said easy, cut the heads and tails off and you're done. I said what about removing the guts? He gave me a funny look and said "they've got guts??"

22 minutes ago, verado said:

With the talk about smelt, I couldn't resist sharing this. Forty odd years ago my buddy and I went down to the sand docks at Queenston and using our dip net filled a tub with smelt. We immediately returned to the shop, plugged in a couple of deep fryers and started to clean them. In no time he had a batch cooking while I had only cleaned a few. Five minutes later he is shoving them down as fast as he can and I asked him how he could clean them so fast. He said easy, cut the heads and tails off and you're done. I said what about removing the guts? He gave me a funny look and said "they've got guts??"

LOL that guy really didn't have clue did he?

We used to get them by the 100's of pounds 

off the pier in Hamilton and have all night cleaning parties.

1 snip with scissors and the head is gone.

Put the scissor blade in the hole where the head was and cut down the belly

to the tail. Use your thumb to pull the guts out.

Rinse them off and dry. Pan or deep fry and enjoy.

OH YA AND NEVER CUT THE TAIL OFF, CRUNCHY GOODNESS !!!

Archived