Fly for bass

theRiverYeti

Hey folks!

New to fly fishing for bass and was hoping to do some learning before the season opens up. Was wondering if anyone has any tips in Niagara for good locations that might not be the canal? Or is the canal the best option?

I've got a decent collection of poppers that should be effective - any other tips and tricks I should know about?

Thanks 

Yeti

On 3/24/2020 at 10:30 PM, Tyler0420 said:

I don’t know much about Niagara bass fishing, I usually fish the grand river and throw pretty much anything. I like finding some lily pads and throwing poppers on lakes/ponds. 

Cheers - thanks for the advice. 

I have a collection of various sized poppers .. do you think they'd be effective for pike? I've got an 8wt rod/reel as well ... was thinking about getting adventurous before the pike season closes again. I've heard you can fly fish for pike similar to bass.

44 minutes ago, мормышка said:

With pike it would be best to keep it moving for longer distances before a 10 second pause. With bass you could do shorter bursts and longer pauses. Really, you'd have to experiment on how active the aggressive fish are.

Thanks, I will keep this in mind! 

1 hour ago, Tyler0420 said:

Looks like we’re getting a few more fly fishers on the forum. Looking forward to some fly pics this season. I’ll try and add some also. 

My daughter lives in Consecon Ontario , just south of Trenton . She has fished from Ottawa to Vancouver , including ice fishing . She made up a fly for bass at Consecon and did well .....very crude dollar store material , and lost the fly to a "BIG ONE" . A friend's 16 year old son made some of the same crude flies for her and she can't wait till bass season to try them !

Here they are ....don't know what to call them ....but they catch fish !

bass flies.jpg

2 hours ago, Tyler0420 said:

Looks like we’re getting a few more fly fishers on the forum. Looking forward to some fly pics this season. I’ll try and add some also. 

I've browsed the forums a few times and decided to join and contribute... hoping to get some good fly convo going. I love spin cast as well, but fly is my preferred. 

Cheers

51 minutes ago, smerchly said:

My daughter lives in Consecon Ontario , just south of Trenton . She has fished from Ottawa to Vancouver , including ice fishing . She made up a fly for bass at Consecon and did well .....very crude dollar store material , and lost the fly to a "BIG ONE" . A friend's 16 year old son made some of the same crude flies for her and she can't wait till bass season to try them !

Here they are ....don't know what to call them ....but they catch fish !

bass flies.jpg

the truth is ... ANYTHING can catch fish! Love it. Very creative, thanks for sharing.

• 1 month later...

Look great Dave ! I like the sculpin pattern. I find the grand bass like anything white or olive. 

Archived