2020 Hunting Regs Are Out

I'm not overly optimistic that this year's Moose hunt is going to come together, but the numbers are out for your reading enjoyment. Available tags are up this year for our area, down in others.

Keeping my fingers crossed, hope I don't have to rely on that fancy store bought meat next winter!

My last moose hunt was WMU 13  ,west of Thunder  Bay . (50" rack)   B)  We hunted the Elliot Lake area for a few years and the Moose river and tribs after that ......"Those were the Days my friends "    🦌

7 hours ago, smerchly said:

My last moose hunt was WMU 13  ,west of Thunder  Bay . (50" rack)   B)  We hunted the Elliot Lake area for a few years and the Moose river and tribs after that ......"Those were the Days my friends "    🦌

Yes, I'm sure you have some good memories and stories as well Smerch

When we hunted  the Elliot Lake area ( Upper Mace-4 portages) ,there was 6 of us . One year we got 3 cow tags and 2 bull tags !  On  the other hand , my cousin  who lives in Welland ,  has a daughter living in Noelville ( wmu 41 ?). He never got a tag  after 14 years of moose hunting there .....and she owns 160 acres of moose inhabited land there !

Good luck winning the lottery guys !   

This is my canoe that saw miles of water while moose hunting . We drove to Cochrane , loaded it up on the Polar Bear Express , got off at Moose River Crossing , down a steep bank and up the river for a day and a half . We found a nice small trib and set up camp . We took the canoe up the trib , over rocks and fallen trees to a beaver dam about a mile in . We opened the dam and rode the "tide" back to camp .  Many stories to tell with the old freighter !  I'm fixing some small holes and rivets with stuff called MEGA STICK  ...just cut a piece off the stick , work between your fingers and stick it over the hole or rivets . anyone use this stuff ?

As you can see , it's seen a lot of rough water ...red arrow is a hole with a few cracks to fill......

canoe job.jpg

9 hours ago, Bubba14 said:

I've never been successful in the adult moose draw, maybe this is my year!!! Are you getting away S&T and if so, where?

We're planning to hunt this year but with so much up in the air hard to know if it will happen. We hunt 26, a few hours north of Cochrane. We go up the first week which is mid September. It will depend on how things progress with this Pandemic, health wise and financially for everyone in our group.

8 hours ago, smerchly said:

When we hunted  the Elliot Lake area ( Upper Mace-4 portages) ,there was 6 of us . One year we got 3 cow tags and 2 bull tags !  On  the other hand , my cousin  who lives in Welland ,  has a daughter living in Noelville ( wmu 41 ?). He never got a tag  after 14 years of moose hunting there .....and she owns 160 acres of moose inhabited land there !

Good luck winning the lottery guys !   

This is my canoe that saw miles of water while moose hunting . We drove to Cochrane , loaded it up on the Polar Bear Express , got off at Moose River Crossing , down a steep bank and up the river for a day and a half . We found a nice small trib and set up camp . We took the canoe up the trib , over rocks and fallen trees to a beaver dam about a mile in . We opened the dam and rode the "tide" back to camp .  Many stories to tell with the old freighter !  I'm fixing some small holes and rivets with stuff called MEGA STICK  ...just cut a piece off the stick , work between your fingers and stick it over the hole or rivets . anyone use this stuff ?

As you can see , it's seen a lot of rough water ...red arrow is a hole with a few cracks to fill......

canoe job.jpg

Hard to beat moose hunting for an adventure, every trip is different and creates it's own memories and stories. Moose camp tends to attract lots of interesting personalities and characters which usually add to the whole experience, probably because you have to be a bit of a character to do it in the first place! Who else gets the thrill of riding a canoe in the outflow of a blown beaver dam?

A number of years ago after shooting a moose in a beaver pond, the moose retrieval team dragged a 14 foot aluminum over the dam, across the pond, loaded the moose, then dragged the loaded moose over the dam and proceeded to swamp it in the outflow which was only about 10 feet across but about 4 feet deep of fast water. Luckily part of the moose retrieval teams duty is to bring beer to the kill site so it was more fun than it sounds!

That canoe has some nice battle scars for sure Smerch. I have a fiberglass freighter that is going to need some attention this year as well.

I bought that 16' canoe (90lbs) at Nichol's Marine , Ft.Erie . It was a "second" as the top of the transom was not level with the water  , got it for $150 (no tax) .

Our moose camp is in area 54 in the Haliburton Forest, it is a fairly large camp stocked mostly with members of the various target shooting clubs in the Niagara Peninsula. Most years, because of the size of our camp, we have received a bull and a cow tag and we usually harvest at least one moose. In our immediate area there appears to be a lot of them. This year with the new regs, a guaranteed tag for party size is gone and area 54 has been reduced from 205 bulls to 59 and 40 cows to 11. This could be the first year in a long time when we get no tags. I'll still be going though, it's not the kill but the joy of the whole hunting camp experience.

15 minutes ago, verado said:

area 54 has been reduced from 205 bulls to 59 and 40 cows to 11.

With a party that large they could give you guys one tag .  Hunters and anglers bring $$$ to northern communities that depend on it . I'm afraid with our ruined economy and unemployment,  there will be more poaching .....I hope the mnr is ready for that .

9 hours ago, smerchly said:

I bought that 16' canoe (90lbs) at Nichol's Marine , Ft.Erie . It was a "second" as the top of the transom was not level with the water  , got it for $150 (no tax) .

Was it made at Fleet Industries ? they made some aluminum boats and the factory was in Fort Erie.

2 hours ago, dave524 said:

Was it made at Fleet Industries ? they made some aluminum boats and the factory was in Fort Erie.

I don't know Dave , it didn't have a plate sticker on it as it was a second (as is) deal . they said it had a 1000 lb. capacity . It might have been made by Harbour Craft , after I did some research on the early days of Nichol's Marine. 

I used some of the Mega Stick compound on the canoe today . That stuff sets up fast and I used a grinding stone on the drill to smooth it out a couple hours later and it was hard as steel . 

...found this old picture today.....We took the ATV in a 14 ' boat across Arrow Lake to the Portage to Rose Lake . We used the ATV to pull the boats through shallow rapids there .  The bottom of that 14 ' aluminum looks like my canoe ! 

Arrow L. atv.jpg

17 hours ago, smerchly said:

I don't know Dave , it didn't have a plate sticker on it as it was a second (as is) deal . they said it had a 1000 lb. capacity . It might have been made by Harbour Craft , after I did some research on the early days of Nichol's Marine. 

I used some of the Mega Stick compound on the canoe today . That stuff sets up fast and I used a grinding stone on the drill to smooth it out a couple hours later and it was hard as steel . 

It probably is a Harbourcraft, as it looks identical to mine, and I bought mine from Harbourcraft,  

got mine as a “second” also - my first instructor partner for Hunter Ed worked there.  He took me to the plant one day and asked the manager if they had any seconds I could buy.  Manager walked us out to the storage yard, kicked mine once, and said that they had a second now!!  They are heavy pigs, but untippable, and stable in even very high waves!

Just now, genec said:

They are heavy pigs, but untippable, and stable in even very high waves!

Thanks for that info Gene .  My bud and I took the canoe out in L.Ontario in the summer ...wearing bathing suits , in rough waves to see how stable it may be .  We both had to sit on the gunnel and it held up at a 45* angle . We had to pull hard and lean over more to finally tip that sucker !  At 90 lbs. it's a heavy canoe to get on roof rack , hence I bought the trailer hitch attachment for local water .

On 4/18/2020 at 9:21 AM, verado said:

Our moose camp is in area 54 in the Haliburton Forest, it is a fairly large camp stocked mostly with members of the various target shooting clubs in the Niagara Peninsula. Most years, because of the size of our camp, we have received a bull and a cow tag and we usually harvest at least one moose. In our immediate area there appears to be a lot of them. This year with the new regs, a guaranteed tag for party size is gone and area 54 has been reduced from 205 bulls to 59 and 40 cows to 11. This could be the first year in a long time when we get no tags. I'll still be going though, it's not the kill but the joy of the whole hunting camp experience.

We might end up bringing a boat with us this year. Try for a calf until Tuesday and then fish Wed-Fri. Lots of nice water up there.

On 4/19/2020 at 2:52 PM, genec said:

It probably is a Harbourcraft, as it looks identical to mine, and I bought mine from Harbourcraft,  

got mine as a “second” also - my first instructor partner for Hunter Ed worked there.  He took me to the plant one day and asked the manager if they had any seconds I could buy.  Manager walked us out to the storage yard, kicked mine once, and said that they had a second now!!  They are heavy pigs, but untippable, and stable in even very high waves!

Working it today ...low and behold !!!!!  I found a plate on the FRONT of the canoe !  I never noticed it before , or just ignored it ....  It is a Harbour Craft  , Made in Canada , but It doesn't show much info  other than the serial number .  I practically touched it with my nose while repairing a front rivet ....  

Canoe Plate Info.jpg

Nice Smerch. I've used that aluminum repair before, cut off a chunk and knead it and it dries rock hard.

I think I got the 49th moose for my archery group last year. We are in area 19 and used to be 2 guys in a group to get a tag and now its 6+. the gun hunters have it even worse. We think we can get one this  year but next year they are going to some new point system and it is all individual, no more groups so our group that has been together for so long could come to an end if we don't get a tag. I don't think the MNR has a clue.

Thanks mooseslayer  , that stuff dried quickly and is like steel  . I smoothed it out with a grinder and it was very hard . Congrats on getting the moose last year . I got our last moose with 6 guys also and it was my largest bull out of 7 moose I got .

Our group of 6 always got more tags I think because  one lived in Parry Sound , his bro .in Hastings ,another bro.in the Falls ,  , one from Fenwick , & 2 from St.Kitts .  I'm the last one now still able to hunt ....

Good luck on those tags ....We ended up hunting west of Thunder Bay at the Minnesota border (Rose Lake) ...beautiful country ! Then a very extreme hurricane took down most of the trees there and Arrow Lake as well . Never went back ....

Our hunting camp has had a 14 foot aluminum boat stashed on a small lake in case we needed it for a moose retrieval. Some idiot took an axe to it years ago putting several large gashes in it rendering it unuseable. I wonder if that Mega Stik would work on it?

Archived